DiabloBlanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Hey everyone! New guy here.

My name is Jeff, I'm living in Jacksonville FL. I do not have a Jeep yet but I plan on buying a JLU in the next year or so, when I get back from my "mobilization" to DC (don't feel right calling it a deployment haha but this'll be my third, though first that isn't overseas).

I've been lurking for a little while and just decided to join up. Have wanted a Wrangler for as long as I can remember...probably first when I watched Jurassic Park back in the '90s. Now I absolutely love everything about the JL and need one in my life. I've been looking into the 2.0 turbo lately and am leaning towards that, but waiting to see what the price and specs of the diesel look like.

Anyways, I actually do have a query for you guys. I finally got to drive a Wrangler for the first time a couple weeks ago and it definitely cemented my need for one. I rented a 2018 JKU sport with a hard top .I absolutely loved it, but my wife..not so much. She felt very claustrophobic riding in it. I did not have the chance to let her ride in it with the freedom panels off (though I did and I loved it), so I can't say if that would help. But has anyone else experienced this? She drives a 2013 Ford Escape SE and honestly I feel like I have WAY more room in the JKU but she did not. I've read that some people felt this way in the JK but not the JL, but we haven't test driven one yet. Do you guys have any input on this? I want a JL so bad it hurts, so I don't want something like this to ruin that dream. Would maybe a soft top help?

Thanks in advance and I'm glad to be here. Can't wait to get my Jeep! Gonna be a little while...but it'll be worth it.
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I do not have a Jeep yet but I plan on buying a JLU in the next year or so, when I get back from my "mobilization" to DC (don't feel right calling it a deployment haha but this'll be my third, though first that isn't overseas). I rented a 2018 JKU sport with a hard top .Would maybe a soft top help?
Give her a ride in a JK 2-door soft-top . That'll convince her . Bonus is you will save a lot of money , also .

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Claustrophobia ???
SUNP0233_zpswejtmzse.jpg

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP
DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Haha thanks but I actually really want the 4 door. My buddy has a 2 door and I just feel like I have no room in it at all.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Heh Heh, I had the 4dr for over 8 years and yes, there's more CARGO SPACE-----BUT THATS ALL, BESIDES-

Having a tough time off-road turns/high centers/log centers in dense forests/maneuvering off-road trailer-

The 2dr is like an extension of your limbs(EXOSKELETON)--(DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT)

If you do mostly HIWY travel--the 4dr is best------

W.E

JIMBO

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
22551 Shannon Circle, Lake Forest, CA 92630
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU / Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Haha thanks but I actually really want the 4 door. My buddy has a 2 door and I just feel like I have no room in it at all.
Just show her this, pleeeeeeennnnnnty of room =)
DOORSOFFLIGHT-1.jpg

If no doors seem to risky, there are also tube doors available!

OP
OP
DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Haha! Yeah I just prefer the feel of the 4 door. Im pretty set on it. While I of course will do off-roading with it, this is going to be my daily driver. I feel plenty free with the top and doors off :P I also like having the cargo room for long trips/when I have to bring all my gear to my unit, etc. I'm just wondering if the soft top would alleviate this feeling for her. Seems like they've much improved the top for the JL so I'm starting to consider it if it comes to that.

Gospeed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Not sure the soft top will help. Hoping you get to have one. My wife and two girls did not complain once on our 10 hour trip to Colorado.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Not sure the soft top will help. Hoping you get to have one. My wife and two girls did not complain once on our 10 hour trip to Colorado.
Thanks! I know she'd love it if she gave it a real chance...especially with the freedom panels off. It's just getting over that initial impression she got.

767Driver

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler
Th Sky one touch retractable top really opens it all up very nicely. Just took delivery of mine and am loving it!

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Th Sky one touch retractable top really opens it all up very nicely. Just took delivery of mine and am loving it!
Wait for the sudden rain and then you try to close it , lol .

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
The soft top actually has more head room than the hard top. I had no idea until we picked ours up. Was quite surprised lol

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The two-door Wrangler has 46.9 cubic feet with them folded down. The four-door Wrangler Unlimited has 72.4 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. But when you are sitting in the front, no difference regarding "claustrophobic" unless you are looking behind you.
Sponsored