Depending on the upgrade cost to order the hellcat from factory, I'd sell

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Like any extreme change, it cascades thru the whole vehicle. Like; is the frame even stiff enough to take a full power launch with 40" tires?

While a Hellcat engine may be a "cool idea", the reality is that it is unlikely to appeal to enough buyers to be a viable program for FCA.

I think the sentiment about having a small V8 available is more likely to have a viable market.

Automech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Wrangler (soon)
It would take more to make the hellcat usable in the JL, bit similar changes would need to be made for even ther 5.7 hemi just less extreme. Where if they were going through the engineering to add any v8, might as well add the upscale option of the hellcat.

Sponsored

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Careful what you wish for.

I've had a 5.7 and 6.4 and the 5.7 would be a handful.

The 6.4 and an 8 speed would be a death trap.

And I owned 10 second drum braked '70 Roadrunner back in the 90's.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
I could see where you’re coming from, but Mopar has a track record of giving buyers *absolutely bonkers* levels of power, and does a great job playing to enthusiast.

A powerhouse Jeep Wrangler could bring new territory to the horsepower wars and outpace white-collar offerings from Porsche, Jag, and maybe even Lamborghini...

Plus it would really take the wind from the sails of the upcoming Bronco (which probably isn’t getting a 5.0)

Give me THAT with a manual transmission!!! Wrangler GLH!

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Careful what you wish for.

I've had a 5.7 and 6.4 and the 5.7 would be a handful.

The 6.4 and an 8 speed would be a death trap.

And I owned 10 second drum braked '70 Roadrunner back in the 90's.
Really how is that?

My 5.7 Hemi TJ is slower then a soccer mom's van.

You know a stock JL runs 90 in the 1/4 mile and Hemi powered with lift and tires runs 90 in the same 1/4 mile.

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
My twin screw'd 2 Door JK had 300whp dyno with 35's and I always sat there thinking.... Another 100hp would be *perfect* lol. Kept trying to blow the motor but it never went... plan was an LS3. I want to do a 6.4 hemi in my JL so badly especially now with the 4 doors weight while running 40's. Don't have it in me to do 25k for swap parts saving on a self install, probably 10k or so one axles because I know how I would wheel with a v8 as much as I know I have a smart skinny pedal skill that has avoided catastrophe before.

The Hellcat JL would be great although probably pretty hard to maintain while wheeling. I know I would break stuff lol. I do find myself falling back in love with turbo's recently. Makes you wonder how fun a boosted 5.7 would be in this platform. It would make all the good noises.

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
What comes first: 0-60 or Full to Empty. Lol.

Answer. Neither. You’re wrapped around a tree.

I think they’re interesting conversions for a YouTube vid but the mass market will kill themselves. Wide body, wide tire, low center of gravity are already no joke to control. Throw a high center of gravity narrow body into that with the Jeep’s loosey goosey steering and that thing would kill people. Not sure that’s the PR FCA would want.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
What comes first: 0-60 or Full to Empty. Lol.

Answer. Neither. You’re wrapped around a tree.

I think they’re interesting conversions for a YouTube vid but the mass market will kill themselves. Wide body, wide tire, low center of gravity are already no joke to control. Throw a high center of gravity narrow body into that with the Jeep’s loosey goosey steering and that thing would kill people. Not sure that’s the PR FCA would want.
They said the same about Grand Cherokee and the Durango. Obviously a Hellcat doesn't need to mean the Wrangler has to go faster... they can and always do add speed limiters. What I like to see is how they improve the brakes without restricting the minimum wheel (rim) size.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
They said the same about Grand Cherokee and the Durango. Obviously a Hellcat doesn't need to mean the Wrangler has to go faster... they can and always do add speed limiters. What I like to see is how they improve the brakes without restricting the minimum wheel (rim) size.
Grand Cherokee has several advantages. AWD, Modern Suspension/traction, Modern Steering system.

I’m sure for some it’ll be a cool toy. I just can’t think of a more dangerous situation then rear wheel drive, high center, solid axle, sloppy steering... this thing would be master skill level to keep on the road and even then I doubt the jeep could ever put that power on the pavement. You'd be traction limited without super wide racing slicks... on a wrangler. Lol.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Might be a better product offering to obsolete the 3.6 and replace with a V8 that is in the 330-350 HP range. Wouldn't be super sketchy but could be a solid platform to start with and different enough from the 2.0.

While were at it, I'd like a Rubicon X trim level with HD60s, drive shafts, 3.5 in. lift, big brakes, and 37s from the factory.
Sponsored