Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392XR AEV JL370
Build Thread
Link
I hear that!

More than badges and stickers, I’m hoping for a 20th Anniversary Edition that has some stand out features. Something like… 4:88s and dare I say… 37s?

1666571089080.gif
The XR already has 4.56s... Which work well enough with 37s on the 2.0T, especially the 4Xe version, and the 392. I put 5.13s in my current Jeep (2.0T) and, in retrospect (and after driving a few other Jeeps with 4.56s and 37s), I think 4.56s would have been fine.

For the 3.6L V6, 4.88s are a better match, but the V6 will be being phased out after the EcoDiesel. We might see the Standard Output version of the I-6 "Hurricane" motor replace the V6. Yet to be seen, but I think 4.56s would work well with the Hurricane motor, too. Given that, I don't see 4.88s in the cards. Reliability is also a factor, and as you keep stepping up, you're reducing the number of teeth on the pinion gear making contact with the ring gear.

As for 37s... I don't think we should hold our collective breath. The 392 XR on 35s already outperforms the Bronco Raptor, and the Bronco was really the only reason they introduced the XR package in the first place...
Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
The XR already has 4.56s... Which work well enough with 37s on the 2.0T, especially the 4Xe version, and the 392. I put 5.13s in my current Jeep (2.0T) and, in retrospect (and after driving a few other Jeeps with 4.56s and 37s), I think 4.56s would have been fine.

For the 3.6L V6, 4.88s are a better match, but the V6 will be being phased out after the EcoDiesel. We might see the Standard Output version of the I-6 "Hurricane" motor replace the V6. Yet to be seen, but I think 4.56s would work well with the Hurricane motor, too. Given that, I don't see 4.88s in the cards. Reliability is also a factor, and as you keep stepping up, you're reducing the number of teeth on the pinion gear making contact with the ring gear.

As for 37s... I don't think we should hold our collective breath. The 392 XR on 35s already outperforms the Bronco Raptor, and the Bronco was really the only reason they introduced the XR package in the first place...
Way to smash my dreams, man. 😂

In all honesty, I don’t expect to see any of what I mentioned in any sort of package.

The 392 and XR options are probably going to keep us happy for a while. Heck, I don’t even expect to see a new “J” variant of the Wrangler for another five or six years.

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Way to smash my dreams, man. 😂

In all honesty, I don’t expect to see any of what I mentioned in any sort of package.

The 392 and XR options are probably going to keep us happy for a while. Heck, I don’t even expect to see a new “J” variant of the Wrangler for another five or six years.
Honestly, for 95% of people with JLs, the XR package is perfect. Most JLs never see dirt, anyway. The thing that has my interest is the potential for the Hurricane motor in the Wrangler platform. An inline 6 motor in a Wrangler is not unprecedented... If the 392 wasn't a thing, a Hella Yella I-6 Hurricane-powered JL would be the ...bee's knees. 😅

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
While I absolutely love my Hella Yella Rubicon (and I loved my - same paint code - 2015 Baja Yellow Hard Rock Rubicon before it), for me the 392 is peak Jeep. No turbos to go bad / cause issues, no need for superchargers, no start-stop batteries to go bad, just naturally aspirated V8 power, and that exhaust note is straight out of Hell. It makes me weak in the knees every time I hear one.

My 392 XR will be a '23, so it will be a "20th Anniversary" Rubicon, whether or not it has stickers and badges that say so...

It is frustrating to me that they didn't make the "hot rod Jeep" in the most "hot rod" color of them all but, for those interested, apparently it was due to the Hella Yella body-match top being "restricted." I am not sure exactly what that means, but that is what the Manager of Jeep Wrangler Product Planning at Jeep told me directly when I asked him about it, so it is as "straight from the horse's mouth" as we are going to get.

Two things are for sure...

First, both across this thread and the broader internet, as well as in the wild, I've only seen a handful of Hella Yella JLs with a body-matched top. I think there were only one or two posted in this thread that had the Sky One Touch top. It feels like 95% or more of the Hella Yella Jeeps have black tops. Perhaps the body-matched tops weren't popular enough? Or, maybe there was some other reason (painting yellow is tricky, and it takes more paint to get the color right; could have been a labor / materials thing).

Second, if they had offered the 392 in Hella Yella, I would have already ordered one. And, if Jeep does me dirty and keeps making the 392 into 2024 or 2025 and offers Hella Yella, I'll order one and sell the one that I currently have on order. Hella Yella is the most photogenic color a Jeep can come in, and the way it pops out in nature is amazing.
Yes, in 2019 when I realized the SOT top had just become available, and it was available in the 'good' yellow, I decided to act fast. In three weeks time I went from not having any intention of buying another Wrangler to having placed an order.

You are right, I think yellow is the happiest color - it's hard not to smile when seeing one. And we've had no paint issues with the yellow SOT top. I can't understand why they restricted the hardtop color.

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
Here's a bump for the Hella Yella thread...

Jeep Wrangler JL HELLA YELLA Wrangler JL Club 1

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
It's mine's second birthday today. This is the pic the dealer sent to me the night before I picked it up, right off the truck.
Jeep Wrangler JL HELLA YELLA Wrangler JL Club 1672927331985

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Have just shy of 92,000 miles on ours (picked up from dealer July 15, 2019) and it is the best vehicle I have owned. As my wife says when we are camping or at National Parks or Monuments and there are high clearance 4X4 only trails, I sure am glad I have a Jeep! We use it to tow our Off Grid Trailers Expedition and actually towed it 200 miles during the Jeep Jamboree Emigrant Trail. It is a beast and has handled everything we have thrown at it. Hellayella is the best color for sure!!

IMG_3635.jpeg

IMG_2558.jpeg

1CB8C1DA-409C-47D0-B8A3-08CF308FEA4A.jpeg

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2021 Jeep JLU Rubicon
New to the forums here. I got mine almost 2 yrs ago. Happened to be at the dealer the day after a truck dropped it off, it wasn't even in inventory when I bought it. Just recently outfitted it for some heavier off roading.
Jeep Wrangler JL HELLA YELLA Wrangler JL Club 20220528_132000
Jeep Wrangler JL HELLA YELLA Wrangler JL Club 20220528_131947

Sponsored

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hellayella; F87 M2C; E90 M3
Just wanted to make a post here in this thread after 1.5+ years of ownership of a yellow Wrangler.

I'm not one to care too terribly much what others think anymore, but I haven't gotten a single "unsolicited" compliment on it. (My Dad surprisingly liked it. A neighbor commented positively, but I feel like he had to.)

I think it looks pretty good with the black and the Rubicon accoutrements, but apparently, virtually nobody else thinks so. Nobody I know, nobody I've ever run into, and no strangers out in public. A couple relatives have liked the fact that it's a Wrangler, but I could tell they weren't big on the color being yellow.

When you like something, but virtually nobody else seems to, it can't help but make you pause and contemplate.

I guess I write this to warn future owners of yellow Wranglers, that you may be one of the only ones that likes it, or maybe the only one. Or maybe not. I don't know.

Just kind of a weird ownership experience thus far, in that regard.

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just wanted to make a post here in this thread after 1.5+ years of ownership of a yellow Wrangler.

I'm not one to care too terribly much what others think anymore, but I haven't gotten a single "unsolicited" compliment on it. (My Dad surprisingly liked it. A neighbor commented positively, but I feel like he had to.)

I think it looks pretty good with the black and the Rubicon accoutrements, but apparently, virtually nobody else thinks so. Nobody I know, nobody I've ever run into, and no strangers out in public. A couple relatives have liked the fact that it's a Wrangler, but I could tell they weren't big on the color being yellow.

When you like something, but virtually nobody else seems to, it can't help but make you pause and contemplate.

I guess I write this to warn future owners of yellow Wranglers, that you may be one of the only ones that likes it, or maybe the only one. Or maybe not. I don't know.

It's like I always say... "F*** 'em"

Hellayella (aka Baja Yellow, which was a far better name for the same paint code) is the best color on a Jeep, IMO. Then the Sarge Green (but not that darker, baby sh*t "Tank Green" color they had on the JK).

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara

Anecdotal, but my wife is always getting compliments on her HellaYella. But the happy yellow matches her personality - happy. So that probably gives off some vibes with it that invite comments.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport

I have actually gotten quite a few unsolicited compliments on my Hella Yella. Maybe it's a regional thing? I know there are a number of folks out there that don't like "Skittles colors" for cars, but I personally think a million different versions of gray is boring. Having said that, I pointed out a Velocity Yellow in the dealership lot to my family the other day. Even though they all really like my Hella, they hated the Velocity.
Sponsored