First Name
Hollis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Greetings forum members! This build journal goes back to August 2019 when I purchased my 2019 Hella Yella JLUR. 100% newbie with most things Jeep, and pretty much zero experience working on vehicles at any level. Wanted to have some documentation of this for posterity, so here we are.

How did I get here? Like many Dads I had a son who wanted a Wrangler, so we found a 2010 JK 2-door we bought for his 16th birthday back in 2018. He showed interest in doing some mods, so we did a couple together which was awesome. Good learning experience for us both. I had been eyeing JLs since they came out, and figured it would be cool if my son and I could work on ours together. So in August 2019 I scouted out what I wanted, bought it, and realized quickly the trouble I was in. Addiction comes in many forms apparently…

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612913098242
Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612913098390
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hellayella HB

Hellayella HB

First Name
Hollis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Started noodling around the interwebs and found this forum. Quickly went down many a rabbit hole, cherry picking some easy upgrades even a novice could do. Bought a stubby antenna, and because my son and I replaced his headlights, I knew I could do the same on mine. So out with the halogens, in with some Oracles. Also added some grab handles.
13” Rydonair Rubber Antenna Replacement

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914106520

Oracle Oculus Bi LED headlights (w/halo)

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914106678

GCPA grab handles (1st and 2nd row)

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914106830

OP
OP
Hellayella HB

Hellayella HB

First Name
Hollis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Great starts, but after seeing all the lifted Jeeps on the forum and IRL, I knew what was next. Went with a local Detroit-area option, installing the AEV Sport lift with a friend of mine. Well, he was really the installer, I was more the helper. Learned a ton, and although it took a full day, it was actually pretty smooth.

AEV 2.5” Sport lift

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914213509

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914213715

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914213822

OP
OP
Hellayella HB

Hellayella HB

First Name
Hollis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
In terms of wheels, I liked the idea of continuing with the AEV theme, keeping an ‘all black’ look, and having minimal tire/wheel poke beyond the fenders. So I went with the AEV Savegre IIs. Really like the proportions of the lift with this wheel/tire combo…Tazer mini as well for speedo recalibration and TPM changes.

AEV Savegre II Wheels (17” x 8.5”, +25mm offset)
Toyo Open country MT Tires (37”)

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914315855

OP
OP
Hellayella HB

Hellayella HB

First Name
Hollis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Given how much lift you get with the AEV set-up, combo rock rails/step is pretty much a must. Went with another Detroit-based company, ACE Engineering, for their rock sliders. Since I needed a tire carrier for the beastly 37s”, also went with another ACE product, and had the guys there install both at the same time.

ACE Engineering Rock sliders

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914362889

ACE Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914363075

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hellayella HB

Hellayella HB

First Name
Hollis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Those initial mods happened with the first 7 months or so, right up to all the Covid ‘fun’. During quarantine I had illusions of doing even more, but ended up being really busy with work, so a bumper/winch order from July had to wait until late in 2020 around the Christmas holiday. Then I finally had the time over a few weeks to install a number of things…

Poison Spyder Bruiser Stubby w/skid plate
Smittybilt X2O 10 Comp Gen 2 10000LB winch with synthetic cable

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914407818

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914407987

OP
OP
Hellayella HB

Hellayella HB

First Name
Hollis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Unfortunately, the lights for the bumper I ordered in the summer were back ordered (still are), so had to install a different pair after the bumper and winch was already in. Definitely not ideal! But was able to get them in after a lot of trial and error, and didn’t have to take out the winch to do so. Also installed a flatlink, as well as new side markers.

RIGID D-SERIES PRO SPOT DIFFUSED MIDNIGHT

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914457303

Diode Dynamics clear side markers

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914457467

Factor 55 Flatlink

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914457586

OP
OP
Hellayella HB

Hellayella HB

First Name
Hollis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Wrapping up the Christmas time mods was the addition of new liners for the front. Went with DV8 based on looks and ease of installation.

DV8 Inner fenders

Jeep Wrangler JL Hella Yella Rookie Build 1612914512948

So what’s next? I want to add some additional exterior lighting, and will do so via cowl mounts, and one of the Diode Dynamic options (either SS3s or SS6 Stage Series 6" Light Bars). Will then add some armor, and potentially a new rear bumper.

I want to get this all finished by the summer as we have planned a trip as a family out to Moab for a week in July to mountain bike and hit a bunch of Jeep trails. So just about 2 years of learning, work, and preparation for what I expect will an awesome trip! I will definitely plan to hit some Michigan Off road parks, Silver Lake, etc. before then.

Thanks all for getting this far! I look forward to continuing to add to it, including lots of great pics from Moab come July. Cheers!

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Nice! Welcome! Bit of a different journey, but I also bought my 2019 JLUR for my son. I couldn't fit his car seat in my 04 Rubi and so I pulled the trigger on my big orange beast. He was 2 when I brought it home, and it was like i brought home a new tow for him. He still loves it, and jumps anytime I ask if he wants to help with a "Jeep project". hopefully we get to do a little more of that soon.

Love the HellaYella color. That was on my short list. The first time I saw that in person i was going to my dealer fo finalize stuff for my order and there was a couple taking delivery of one parked out front. It looked great.

OP
OP
Hellayella HB

Hellayella HB

First Name
Hollis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Nice! Welcome! Bit of a different journey, but I also bought my 2019 JLUR for my son. I couldn't fit his car seat in my 04 Rubi and so I pulled the trigger on my big orange beast. He was 2 when I brought it home, and it was like i brought home a new tow for him. He still loves it, and jumps anytime I ask if he wants to help with a "Jeep project". hopefully we get to do a little more of that soon.

Love the HellaYella color. That was on my short list. The first time I saw that in person i was going to my dealer fo finalize stuff for my order and there was a couple taking delivery of one parked out front. It looked great.
Thanks! There are so many great Jeep colors offered. As a life long Steeler fan, the Yellow/Black combo was just too good to pass up.

Sponsored

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Great looking Jeep. I like a lot of your choices.

Can you show more pictures of the tire carrier? From behind, from inside the trunk. How much does it affect the rear interior? How do you like how the gate opens/accessibility to door handle? Ability to use tow hitch for bike rack?

I was originally thinking to order a JL with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement but worry they don’t say how big a tire it would hold. I plan to have 37” tires and maybe the same wheels.

Mjc0010

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Did you change headlights? I want to do pretty much the exact same build to my black JLUR. Yours looks great!

OP
OP
Hellayella HB

Hellayella HB

First Name
Hollis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Can you show more pictures of the tire carrier? From behind, from inside the trunk. How much does it affect the rear interior? How do you like how the gate opens/accessibility to door handle? Ability to use tow hitch for bike rack?

I was originally thinking to order a JL with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement but worry they don’t say how big a tire it would hold. I plan to have 37” tires and maybe the same wheels.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Hopefully these pics help. No impact on the interior space, and although the handle is slightly behind the mounted tire, no real impact at all on access to the handle. You’ll see that I added a hitch extension for my bike carrier - definitely need it as the wheel/tire sticks quite a ways out given the size. I have a Kuat bike carrier that pivots down which helps when you open the tailgate. It’s still pretty tight in terms of opening the tailgate and window with bikes loaded but it works. Overall it’s a really solid option.
FB2AFBD1-CD25-41B5-ABED-A13784FFE023.jpeg
3AC5ABEC-954C-4E26-8D96-00C420923179.jpeg
AF1FA619-14EC-43B6-B793-FDE38722EFD8.jpeg
0F219894-DF1C-456F-93EB-C8070447FFE3.jpeg

OP
OP
Hellayella HB

Hellayella HB

First Name
Hollis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Did you change headlights? I want to do pretty much the exact same build to my black JLUR. Yours looks great!
Thanks appreciate it! Yep, I switched out my halogens for Oracle Oculus. I have a pic about halfway through my post. I also replaced my fogs with Rigid Midnight Edition cubes that look really great. Highly recommend both.
Sponsored