jeffreycan

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi all,

Just picked up a new Unlimited Rubicon and don't want to spare any time driving her stock. I would love a 3.5 lifted with 37s on 20 inch rim look but don't know if this would be too tall for public parking garages or even private ones. My private garage looks just under 7 feet.

Any recommendations from experience here to share to help make my decision easier? Also would I have to trim a lot of the fender to fit 37's?

Multiple perspectives are much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeffrey
Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
According to:
https://www.caranddriver.com/jeep/wrangler/specs
Your jeep should be 73.6" high, if it has the hardtop. You should check this starting height with a tape measure, as all Jeeps vary a little bit. Soft tops, counter intuitively, are actually a little *taller.*

Depending on the 3.5" lift you choose (some give more lift) you'll pick up 3.5" from that,

plus 2" (4" / 2) from larger 37" tires,

for a total increase in height of 5.5"

So you should end up around 78" - which is 6' 6"

So, depending on the garage, you should still be OK.

You may want to change to a trimmed down antenna. And a roof rack is a *bad idea* if you aspire to stay in garages. I couldn't take my Tacoma into garages when I had a 1/4 wave 2m HAM antenna mounted on the roof. But without it, I can make it.

Exactly much lift you get will depend on your exact starting height, which exact lift you pick, and how much weight you add to your Jeep.

OP
OP
jeffreycan

jeffreycan

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
According to:
Your jeep should be 73.6" high, if it has the hardtop. You should check this starting height with a tape measure, as all Jeeps vary a little bit. Soft tops, counter intuitively, are actually a little *taller.*

Depending on the 3.5" lift you choose (some give more lift) you'll pick up 3.5" from that,

You may want to change to a trimmed down antenna. And a roof rack is a *bad idea* if you aspire to stay in garages. I couldn't take my Tacoma into garages when I had a 1/4 wave 2m HAM antenna mounted on the roof. But without it, I can make it.

Exactly much lift you get will depend on your exact starting height, which exact lift you pick, and how much weight you add to your Jeep.
According to:

Hey thanks for this information! Looks like 3.5 inch lift with 37's it is. Would you consider a lot of trimming involved on the OEM flares?

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Hey thanks for this information! Looks like 3.5 inch lift with 37's it is. Would you consider a lot of trimming involved on the OEM flares?
Some folks just run a fender chop kit for more room, no cutting of the flare itself, just removing the innards and changing out the turn signal lights. There are a lot of companies making the kits.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on your goals and the specific wheels and tires you end up choosing.

If you want to avoid trimming, you can usually increase bump stop a bit.

If you want maximum uptravel, you probably have to be open to more clearancing.

Sponsored

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
Try American Adventure Labs for a fender gutting kit. You can see how they look in my avatar. That’s a Rubicon with NO lift and 35’s. With a 3.5” lift and the AAL kit you can fit 40’s. So 37’s are no problem. Good luck, post some shots when you’re done.

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
My wife's daily is a 2018 JLUR with a MC GC 3.5 with 37" BFG KM3's. Fits into our normal garage at our home and she hasn't found anywhere that she can't fit. I have a set of Artec inner fenders and AAL chop kits that I'm waiting to do but it's only for more flex at the limits.

Reactions: J0E

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
Hi all,

Just picked up a new Unlimited Rubicon and don't want to spare any time driving her stock. I would love a 3.5 lifted with 37s on 20 inch rim look but don't know if this would be too tall for public parking garages or even private ones. My private garage looks just under 7 feet.

Any recommendations from experience here to share to help make my decision easier? Also would I have to trim a lot of the fender to fit 37's?

Thanks,

Jeffrey
If you plan to offroad, get 17" wheels.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is an older thread, but I just got my lift installed this week, metalcloak 3.5" springs and Maxxis Razr AT811 37x12.5R17 tires. I measured just now and my hardtop (remember, convertibles are TALLER) is 79" at the back of the roofline, which is the highest point on my Jeep.

So 6' 7" and it fits "cozily" through the 6' 10" garage door. I need to remember to be cautious if there's any snow in the driveway!

The factory antenna bumps on the way through, but it's no big deal.

Reactions: J0E

BostonRubicon19

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon 4dr
Hi all,

Thanks,

Jeffrey
I own a 2023 JLu Rubicon with 4.5” MetalCloak and core 4x4 suspension sitting on 37’s on 17” wheels. I fit in a parking garage of 6’8” as long as the soft top is off or down

Jeep Wrangler JL Height of a 3.5 lifted Rubicon with 37's IMG_3465

Sponsored

Mike_Hawk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GOBI JLUR 3.6
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

This is an older thread, but I just got my lift installed this week, metalcloak 3.5" springs and Maxxis Razr AT811 37x12.5R17 tires. I measured just now and my hardtop (remember, convertibles are TALLER) is 79" at the back of the roofline, which is the highest point on my Jeep.

So 6' 7" and it fits "cozily" through the 6' 10" garage door. I need to remember to be cautious if there's any snow in the driveway!

The factory antenna bumps on the way through, but it's no big deal.
You should get a short flexible antenna! The stock one can bang against the painted rim around your windshield.

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Mine is 7'2" with a 6" tall roofrack, so I'd say about 6'8".
But not all 3.5" lifts are the same height, and not all 37s are either.
Sponsored