Sponsored

Heavy Tire on Stock Rubi Carrier

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Think heavy tires (65lbs) will be fine on the stock Rubi spare tire carrier? The load C 285/70/17 KO2s weigh only 50 lbs. I've heard stories of heavy spare tires wrecking the steel tail gate on the steel rear gate. Now the rear gate s aluminum and larger!
Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Don't put it on there for an extended amount of time. Mine is on there and wil be fine until I get a new bumper

OP
OP
Tyrantresister

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I plan to leave it on there just the same as the factory spare. They had to beef it up a little bit to hold up to the 285's, the question is how much can it take?

JGrand48219

First Name
J. Grand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, 2011 Chevy Camaro SS, 2016 Harley Road Glide
Are the stock rubicon carriers different from the Sahara?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
The Mopar enhanced tail gate strengthens the tail gate, but they didn't include stronger tailgate hinges. So no more tailgate collapse but not sure if the lesser hinges will take the increased weight. By the way, the company that makes the Mopar enhanced unit sells their own version with stronger replacement hinges for less money.

Sponsored

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2 door Jeep Wrangler Sport S with a 2 1/2” lift and 35 inch tires
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure? Isn’t that the point of the reinforcement kit, to strengthen the hinges so the the rear door can handle more weight? What else would it be reinforceing? The hinges in my opinion are the only reason to make the reinforcement kit, to reinforce the hinges.

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase
No disrespect, but you’re saying the tailgate reinforcement kit doesn’t reinforce the hinges at all? I thought that was the whole point of the kit.

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
If you look at the picture of it the hinges stay stock.

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
The Mopar Enhanced Tail Gate is designed to strengthen the tailgate itself. The new tailgate is made partially of stamped magnesium about double the thickness of the JK tailgate steel panels.
When large tires were mounted on the factory JK tailgates, there were reports of welds, mainly holding panels together, breaking and the tailgate coming apart.
If you read the description of the Enhanced Tailgate Kit...it states that the kit uses the factory hinges. I have been wary of Jeep tailgate hinges ever since my TJ tailgate hinges warped and I had to lift the tailgate up and give it a running slam to lock it. The only solution was to have the hinge mounts cut out of the tub and new mounts welded in. I traded the TJ because it wasn't worth the more than $1000 cut & weld repair!

I contacted the manufacturer of the Enhanced kit and found that they make and sell a non-Mopar branded kit which includes stronger hinges with a brass sleeve, for a lot less than the Mopar kit! The brass sleeve provides more of a 'lubricated' spindle than steel on steel.

But I have decided that I am going to wait until someone makes a JL compatible rear bumper with a tire carrier.

Sponsored

S207307

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Sport S
The Mopar Enhanced Tail Gate is designed to strengthen the tailgate itself. The new tailgate is made partially of stamped magnesium about double the thickness of the JK tailgate steel panels.
When large tires were mounted on the factory JK tailgates, there were reports of welds, mainly holding panels together, breaking and the tailgate coming apart.
If you read the description of the Enhanced Tailgate Kit...it states that the kit uses the factory hinges. I have been wary of Jeep tailgate hinges ever since my TJ tailgate hinges warped and I had to lift the tailgate up and give it a running slam to lock it. The only solution was to have the hinge mounts cut out of the tub and new mounts welded in. I traded the TJ because it wasn't worth the more than $1000 cut & weld repair!

I contacted the manufacturer of the Enhanced kit and found that they make and sell a non-Mopar branded kit which includes stronger hinges with a brass sleeve, for a lot less than the Mopar kit! The brass sleeve provides more of a 'lubricated' spindle than steel on steel.

But I have decided that I am going to wait until someone makes a JL compatible rear bumper with a tire carrier.
Yep, uses the production hinges: https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/pim/media?id=9399432773662

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase

JJW_ND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
Can you provide the contact info to check out the non-branded kit?

Thanks

I have the Teraflex on my JK and love it.

jjw
ND

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase
Can you provide the contact info to check out the non-branded kit?

Thanks

I have the Teraflex on my JK and love it.

jjw
ND
I’ll try to get the information.
Sponsored