Sponsored

Heavy Shimmy In Steering Wheel. What is it?

OP
OP
GavinH

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Had same prob after lifting. Track bar support bracket made it go away. Good place to start.
Steersmarts is on my to purchase list did you go with synergy or steersmarts for you brace, I want the dual driving box brace as well not just the trackbar option
Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Wouldn’t I constantly feel it being unbalanced whereas this is strictly bump activated?
That may be your caster being too low with the new lift … if everything is tight the I suggest Metal Cloak Pro Alignment brackets (geometry correction brackets) to bump up your caster and settle your front end.

silverooby

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 CJ, '05 LJ, '22 JL, '20 ZJ
Steersmarts is on my to purchase list did you go with synergy or steersmarts for you brace, I want the dual driving box brace as well not just the trackbar option
Got mine at 4 wheel parts. Don’t recall the brand right now. On the road.

OP
OP
GavinH

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That may be your caster being too low with the new lift … if everything is tight the I suggest Metal Cloak Pro Alignment brackets (geometry correction brackets) to bump up your caster and settle your front end.
I have MC adjustable front lowers and the geometry is nearly level I feel a bracket would actually put the frame end lower then the axle mount. I originally had 6 degrees before the lift with 24.25 length arms I extended them to 24.5 after the lift. It does pull to the right but it’s been worse so I’m content for now. I feel 24.5 is actually long and when I get MC adjust front uppers I was going to mess with both bottom and top to get decent pinion and caster angles. I need to get an angle finder so I can stop paying alignment shops for print outs

mardoudan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara
Looking for help on what’s causing my steering wheel to go haywire when hitting bumps going under 50mph. I haven’t experienced this before installing my 2.5 MC lift on Friday so it’s maybe related to that.

I have a month old JKS trackbar so I know it’s not that, I’ve put a wrench on every single bolt under there and everything is good so I know nothing is loose. I’m thinking it’s gotta be a bad joint but which would cause the steering wheel to shimmy several inches side to side real fast, looks just like DW but it stays driving fine and stops when I firmly grasp the steering wheel unlike DW where you need to slow down and this happens at 35-45mph not highway speeds. All help is appreciated, thank you.
I have a Stock 2023 JL Sport with 6400 miles. I noticed a shimmy/wobble at 50-70mph when I hit a small bump on the highway. It appeared overnight- everything stock. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the steering dampener on the spot. They said it happens all the time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GavinH

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a Stock 2023 JL Sport with 6400 miles. I noticed a shimmy/wobble at 50-70mph when I hit a small bump on the highway. It appeared overnight- everything stock. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the steering dampener on the spot. They said it happens all the time.
Yeah I’d say mines not in the best condition luckily new one will be here Friday, looking forward to the Fox ats and relocation

IMG_8070.jpeg

IMG_8071.jpeg

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Check these items
- ball joints
- TRE
- draglink ends
- torque track bar to spec and uca/lca’s

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I’m gonna second the tire out of balance / out of round. Rotate the tires and see if it helps.

Sponsored

jaystifel

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 rubicon
My wife’s 23 rubicon with 23k miles did it, dealer replaced steering dampener and it hasn’t happened since, good luck

TakingChances

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Just checked my drag link ends. Found a bit of play and the boot was damaged. Looking like drag link end needs to be replaced. Do I need to do both even if only the one has play? Also and recommendations for good quality that doesn’t break the bank. Picture of the damaged boot.
Jeep Wrangler JL Heavy Shimmy In Steering Wheel. What is it? IMG_4768

OP
OP
GavinH

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just checked my drag link ends. Found a bit of play and the boot was damaged. Looking like drag link end needs to be replaced. Do I need to do both even if only the one has play? Also and recommendations for good quality that doesn’t break the bank. Picture of the damaged boot.
Haven’t done a bunch of research on drag links and tie rods I would just replace the entire drag link with a beefier after market one. I know the metal cloak is around 330 I believe I’m pretty sure that’s what I’m doing to go with.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's

draglink should have some play. The boot looks fine.
I replaced my steering with RPM steering kit, mine was bent from a wheeling trip. Do some research on steering kits.

Offline246

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Rubicon, ‘04 TJ Rubicon
Usually, its check the tires first, track bar second and then the rest of the suspension connections. Did you do a dry steering test?
Sponsored