Sponsored

Heavy Shimmy In Steering Wheel. What is it?

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Looking for help on what’s causing my steering wheel to go haywire when hitting bumps going under 50mph. I haven’t experienced this before installing my 2.5 MC lift on Friday so it’s maybe related to that.

I have a month old JKS trackbar so I know it’s not that, I’ve put a wrench on every single bolt under there and everything is good so I know nothing is loose. I’m thinking it’s gotta be a bad joint but which would cause the steering wheel to shimmy several inches side to side real fast, looks just like DW but it stays driving fine and stops when I firmly grasp the steering wheel unlike DW where you need to slow down and this happens at 35-45mph not highway speeds. All help is appreciated, thank you.
Sponsored

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
Did you also add bigger tires? My rig has been doing this lately, but only on my 37s. My 33s ride fine.

OP
OP
GavinH

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Did you also add bigger tires? My rig has been doing this lately, but only on my 37s. My 33s ride fine.
No I’ve been on 35x12.50’s since August 1st. Installed lift Friday, drove around town Saturday and got everything buttoned up 100%, drove two hours to Jeep event Sunday wheeled there and first experienced it when driving home but my tires and whole jeep was absolutely covered in mud so I knew or at least thought it was my tires being extremely unbalanced.
I’ve since washed my entire jeep zero dirt on the wheels and only happens when hitting railroad tracks, or bumps in the city. Doesn’t happen with minor bumps but they still move the steering wheel slightly it’s the big bumps that send it into a frenzy.

OP
OP
GavinH

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Also to note I have stock stabilizer, tie rod, and draglink I can wobble my draglink/pitman arm joint slightly back and forth it’s not firm at all but bolt is tight. Could that be it?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for help on what’s causing my steering wheel to go haywire when hitting bumps going under 50mph. I haven’t experienced this before installing my 2.5 MC lift on Friday so it’s maybe related to that.

I have a month old JKS trackbar so I know it’s not that, I’ve put a wrench on every single bolt under there and everything is good so I know nothing is loose. I’m thinking it’s gotta be a bad joint but which would cause the steering wheel to shimmy several inches side to side real fast, looks just like DW but it stays driving fine and stops when I firmly grasp the steering wheel unlike DW where you need to slow down and this happens at 35-45mph not highway speeds. All help is appreciated, thank you.
The lift you installed did have all eight control arms, or just front uppers ? If it’s with just uppers then you need to loosen all the control arms and retorque them with the Jeep on the ground…. If you didn’t do this your other control arms are in a bind due to the increased height….

Sponsored

OP
OP
GavinH

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The lift you installed did have all eight control arms, or just front uppers ? If it’s with just uppers then you need to loosen all the control arms and retorque them with the Jeep on the ground…. If you didn’t do this your other control arms are in a bind due to the increased height….
Didn’t come with any control arms I just purchased springs to replace my JKS ones but I did purchase the MC front lowers, I also loosened all control arms bolts and tightened with Jeep level after installing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GavinH

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
With volume up you can here it moving and slightly see it too

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
With volume up you can here it moving and slightly see it too

The tie rod and draglink both will have a little rotational movement, that’s normal, so it won’t bind when articulating .

OP
OP
GavinH

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The tie rod and draglink both will have a little rotational movement, that’s normal, so it won’t bind when articulating .
Could it be a worn out stabilizer then since it seems to be a dampening issue?

Sponsored

OP
OP
GavinH

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
could you help me I’m having the same issue. Have rechecked control arms with jeep on the ground also no play on any BJ or anything I could find after I jacked it back up.
Each persons issue may be unique to their vehicle but that being said I just ordered a Fox ats stabilizer so I will report back when it’s installed and gone over the exact same bumps to tell you how it behaves then.

silverooby

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 CJ, '05 LJ, '22 JL, '20 ZJ
Had same prob after lifting. Track bar support bracket made it go away. Good place to start.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal

Have your tire tire balance checked. You may have lost a wheel weight.

OP
OP
GavinH

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Have your tire tire balance checked. You may have lost a wheel weight.
Wouldn’t I constantly feel it being unbalanced whereas this is strictly bump activated?
Sponsored