Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
So wondering if under my Recon's Heavy Duty Tire Carrier, it is Paint matched hinges ,etc? I don't really need it and prefer a cleaner look back there. Any thoughts? Like if I were to remove said carrier it's Green under it?

Recon.JPG
Sponsored

freddiegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So wondering if under my Recon's Heavy Duty Tire Carrier, it is Paint matched hinges ,etc? I don't really need it and prefer a cleaner look back there. Any thoughts? Like if I were to remove said carrier it's Green under it?

Jeep Wrangler JL Heavy Duty Tire Carrier Question???? Recon.JPG
Yes the factory hinges under the Mopar tailgate reinforcement are paint matched.

OP
OP
Tacoman03

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the factory hinges under the Mopar tailgate reinforcement are paint matched.
Wonder if they would be scratched up our not? Try to figure if its worth the dismantling process to do????

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
The hinges may be paint-matched but I'm guessing your bolts are not and they are probably longer that the original. Again, I'm guessing. I'd leave it as I'm sure you're going to want 35s soon. :giggle:

OP
OP
Tacoman03

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good points ..thanks.
The hinges may be paint-matched but I'm guessing your bolts are not and they are probably longer that the original. Again, I'm guessing. I'd leave it as I'm sure you're going to want 35s soon. :giggle:

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
$600 option to purchase separately- and you’ll want it for bigger tires...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Or something that actually supports that kind of weight.
Exactly! The Mopar "reinforcement" only stiffens the tailgate panel, while just hanging more dead weight on the hinges. A high price to pay for a dog chasing a clipped tail.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Exactly! The Mopar "reinforcement" only stiffens the tailgate panel, while just hanging more dead weight on the hinges. A high price to pay for a dog chasing a clipped tail.
The purpose of the Mopar reinforcement is to transfer load from the panel to the hinges which it does. I agree it's crazy overpriced but it's not a useless endeavor.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The purpose of the Mopar reinforcement is to transfer load from the panel to the hinges which it does. I agree it's crazy overpriced but it's not a useless endeavor.
Well it is actually pretty useless. It just moves the failure point.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have first hand experience, because my JL is my first wrangler, but I've read here a number of times about the JK tailgate panel being weak. It would flex and warp under the weight of the 33's and 35's that were considered big at that time. That lead to the birth of the panel reinforcements. Whereas nowadays, 33's and 35's are becoming run of the mill, and the 37's, 38's (like me), and 40’s are the new big boys. The JL's tailgate panel is stronger than its predecessors, because Jeep has listened to the woes of yesteryear, but the hinges are now the weak point of concern (like word302 was kind enough to elude to).

The only true answer to the current JL tailgate woes, is deciding between a hinged tailgate reinforcement or a bumper mounted swing out carrier.

Now when the hell is Teraflex gonna release their hinged reinforcement to pair with my Alpha HD carrier. Come on Teraflex, I wanna give you more money!!! Hahaha
Sponsored