ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
So I've currently got LOD Destroyer steps/siders on my JLUR. Also have MetalCloak skid plates waiting in the shed to be installed and front and rear Rock Hard 4x4 steel bumpers waiting to be delivered. Once everything is installed that will be a lot of weight. I suspect that my OEM springs may sag and be overwhelmed by all this extra weight. I'd like to lift about 2 inches or so and end up with a 35" tire. I've been considering the 3.5" Rancho lift, but not sure how the Rancho springs handle all that extra weight. Some kits like JKS and the newly released OME lifts list a Heavy Duty version for heavy bumpers, sliders, etc. Is it a case where these heavy duty springs are just a bit taller to compensate for the weight or do they actually have a higher weight capacity? What about a spring like Rancho? I didn't see anything mentioned on Rancho's website about handling the weight of aftermarket bumpers, winches, sliders, etc. Any word on that @RanchoShocks ?
For a brief moment I was considering a simple AEV spacer lift, but would be concerned with overwhelming the stock springs despite adding extra height.
Just looking for your experiences with lift kits and added weight.
Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
ExitLeft

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
No responses? Perhaps a better question is: anyone have aftermarket steel bumpers front and rear on OEM springs and shocks? Howā€™s the handling?

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Historically Rancho has has pretty soft springs. I am not certain if it is the same for the JL. Go the the Rancho Facebook or Instagram page and send Matt a message. He is usually pretty quick to respond.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The only issue is, many manufacturers build sag into their lifts....they expect the customers to install their springs on modified vehicles (bumpers, winch, etc) so their 2.5" lift is actually a 3.5" coil that they expect you to sag 1"...so installing it on a stock rig will net more than the advertised height. The best thing to do is to purchase the lift you want inch wise (if you want a 2.5, get a 2.5") and if you have sag, make it back up with coil spacers, whatever amount you sagged. A rough estimate (obviously will vary based on spring) is about 0.5" of sag per 100lb NET gain.

OP
OP
ExitLeft

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
The only issue is, many manufacturers build sag into their lifts....they expect the customers to install their springs on modified vehicles (bumpers, winch, etc) so their 2.5" lift is actually a 3.5" coil that they expect you to sag 1"...so installing it on a stock rig will net more than the advertised height. The best thing to do is to purchase the lift you want inch wise (if you want a 2.5, get a 2.5") and if you have sag, make it back up with coil spacers, whatever amount you sagged. A rough estimate (obviously will vary based on spring) is about 0.5" of sag per 100lb NET gain.
True, but I wonā€™t be stock. Between skids, bumpers, and sliders I got quite a bit of weight added.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I can address this directly, I installed the Rancho 3.5 lift, I to have added bumper, winch also a tow plate 160lbs total, as well as Go Rhino Dominator D-6 steps. I chose the Rancho lift as it seems to maintain the best ride ( I was looking for a lift with a soft ride and Rancho delivered (could not be happier with the ride). I DID NOT WANT the stiffer springs that other lifts offered, again I simply do not want that harsh ride. So after installing I still had little more than 1" drop on the front. I called and talked to the tech team at Rancho they were awesome, they do offer a heavier front spring but they also have other options. What they did for me was AMAZING, they contacted the 4WP store near me shipped them Spacers (at Ranchos expense) and they actually paid to have 4WP dissasemble the lift and reinstall with the front spacers which they provided at NO cost.

Rancho support is 2nd to none...

If ride is important avoid the stiffer springs at all cost, unless you are into hardcore off road, and add spacer to offset front end weight, that will preserve level and ride. I recommend you call Rancho Tech support and talk directly with them, they are extremely friendly and helpful.

I also used their RS9000 adjustable shock, highly recommended. Ride is why I decided against Mopar/FOX, Rubicon Express, Terraflex and others they are a much stiffer ride which as mentioned I did not want...

As for value Rancho IMO has the best value kit out there and I am now riding their 3.5" being level with a near stock ride/comfort.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExitLeft

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I can address this directly, I installed the Rancho 3.5 lift, I to have added bumper, winch also a tow plate 160lbs total, as well as Go Rhino Dominator D-6 steps. I chose the Rancho lift as it seems to maintain the best ride ( I was looking for a lift with a soft ride and Rancho delivered (could not be happier with the ride). I DID NOT WANT the stiffer springs that other lifts offered, again I simply do not want that harsh ride. So after installing I still had little more than 1" drop on the front. I called and talked to the tech team at Rancho they were awesome, they do offer a heavier front spring but they also have other options. What they did for me was AMAZING, they contacted the 4WP store near me shipped them Spacers (at Ranchos expense) and they actually paid to have 4WP dissasemble the lift and reinstall with the front spacers which they provided at NO cost.

Rancho support is 2nd to none...

If ride is important avoid the stiffer springs at all cost, unless you are into hardcore off road, and add spacer to offset front end weight, that will preserve level and ride. I recommend you call Rancho Tech support and talk directly with them, they are extremely friendly and helpful.

I also used their RS9000 adjustable shock, highly recommended. Ride is why I decided against Mopar/FOX, Rubicon Express, Terraflex and others they are a much stiffer ride which as mentioned I did not want...

As for value Rancho IMO has the best value kit out there and I am now riding their 3.5" being level with a near stock ride/comfort.
Thanks for the feedback @lightsout Thats awesome that @RanchoShocks customer support hooked you up like that. Glad to see they want happy customers. I had the 2ā€ Rancho spring lift on my jk and loved it. Iā€™m not looking for serious lift. So even if the 3.5ā€ lift springs settle and I lose an inch, Iā€™m not too worried. Only looking to run 35s anyway,
Curious what wheels & tires youā€™re running @lightsout ; any pics of youā€™re setup?
Thanks

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If 35s is all you want, I'd get the tires first and see if you even need a lift. No reason to spend money on something you don't need. You can always correct sag with just some spacers. If you do want a lift, for 35s, the dynatrac 2" is also a great option.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am running Fuel Assaults 18x9.5 and Goodrich 35'" KO2's with the Rancho 3.5 lift and like I mentioned above the Go Rhino Dominator sliders with removable drop steps, To manage weight I installed the Barricade Aluminum Bumper with a 9500lb winch, I also have a tow plate at 40 lbs that front en weight adds up quick. I am trying to manage weight as we tow the wrangler and have a 5000lb limit and I am at 4920 now with full fuel.

With the Rancho 3.5" lift the fender flare is 7" front and 7.25 rear above the tires which is close enough to level especially with all the weight.

half%20doors%203%20-%20Copy_zpslxsf4d0a.jpg

mud-flaps%201_zps6aietyeu.jpg

lower%20half%20jeep_zpsvfeyredx.jpg

Last edited:

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Rancho has made a shitty Jeep lift for 20 years, Iā€™m sure they managed to change that for the jl.
At least they have always charged more than rough country.
On a serious note you can do better than the forum sponsor would admit.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Rancho has made a shitty Jeep lift for 20 years, Iā€™m sure they managed to change that for the jl.
At least they have always charged more than rough country.
On a serious note you can do better than the forum sponsor would admit.

Are you sure it is Rancho that is the problem and not the linkage between the seat and the steering wheel. You seem to be the only complainer here. Mopar must also be the king crappy company also considering the massive amount of complaints on this forum yet you still by Mopar.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Are you sure it is Rancho that is the problem and not the linkage between the seat and the steering wheel. You seem to be the only complainer here. Mopar must also be the king crappy company also considering the massive amount of complaints on this forum yet you still by Mopar.
A common theme I have seen on forums is people defending stuff because they own that stuff instead of being more objective and considering that there may be better stuff out there. Also, itā€™s not right for me to be short and pointed in a post so here goes.
I own a Jeep, there are a bunch of vehicles on the market that are built much better than a Jeep especially when you consider the price.
My current jl is not my first Jeep. I really enjoy them. I have owned a yj, lj, xj, a couple of cjā€™s and couple of jkā€™s. My current jl is the least modified of any Jeep Iā€™ve owned. I also had a really cool job where I got to build/modify/restore/repair and work on 4wdā€™s for a living. I worked on a lot of jeeps, I would guess close to a thousand or more on the conservative end. This gave me the unique opportunity to really compare a lot of the aftermarket brands out there in the real world and get seat time points of comparison.
In my very specific experience of dealing with a whole lot of points of comparison I have consistently found that rancho suspension products did not last as long and did not ride as good as other manufacturers.
My approach is not always the greatest and I apologize if I offended you in some way. That was not the intent.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rancho components are made by Tenneco, the very same company that makes OEM Jeep suspension.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Rancho components are made by Tenneco, the very same company that makes OEM Jeep suspension.
I've had nothing but good luck with the Rancho 9000 shock for the past 20 years and the lifetime warranty rocks.

OP
OP
ExitLeft

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
If 35s is all you want, I'd get the tires first and see if you even need a lift. No reason to spend money on something you don't need. You can always correct sag with just some spacers. If you do want a lift, for 35s, the dynatrac 2" is also a great option.
Reasonable advice, but Iā€™m concerned about the oem springs ability to effectively cope with all the steel Iā€™m bolting on. Coil spacers would help with sag, but Iā€™m not sure the springs are Up to the task. Guess Iā€™ll find out as Iā€™ll probably just bolt on the bumpers and see wha5 happens.
Thanks
Sponsored