Heaviest you've towed with JL

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Why not make it a condition for whoever you buy the RV from to deliver it to your destination when you buy it? Most if not all RV dealers will do that and I suppose most private owners would do the same. Or you can also rent a tow vehicle for a day. Be safe and keep others on the road safe.

If you plane on being nomadic and moving it on occasion, not a good idea to use the wrangler period.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Good recommendation. I believe you can rent a truck from U-haul for $20 a day or something like that. Not sure if they're equipped with tow packages or not, but an option to consider. Cheaper and safer. Can't go wrong there.

OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Okay, I'm sorry for referring to a travel trailer as an airstream. It was a generalization, much like calling an adjustable hand wrench a "crescent wrench". It's a brand, commonly used to refer to the object. Please don't disregard the entire post because I called it by a common term for the object instead of being technical. I understand you want a cheaper travel trailer, but you're still talking about pulling 6K with a JL. Call the trailer whatever you want, travel trailer, camper trailer, airstream, caravan, or anything else but I still don't recommend it. Like I said before, it's not a mater of getting the load moving, it's a matter of controlling it.

It sounds like your mind is made up, regardless of what the opinions (which you asked for) say. I gave you my opinion, and that's the best I can do from the opposite side of a computer screen. I guess to that end, all I can say is that I hope my family isn't around when that trailer inevitably gets away from you.

If you're going to pull it anyway, at least follow GunnersJL's recommendations and make it as safe as you can. WDH secured to something solid, airbags, transmission cooler, trailer brakes, brake controller, and I'll also add that you want to get tires that are rated for the load too. I'm not sure what the stock tires spec load is, but make sure they're not going to fail. By the time you do all that it just seem that it would be cheaper/easier to replace the springs on that Suburban you referred to.

PS, what makes you think I'm a "non car guy"?
I already mentioned everything that you suggested. Including tires.

WDH - goes with trailer, not vehicle. Brake controller - can be installed from one to another vehicle. Air springs are 10 and change. Receiver cost me $27 off of Facebook, used once. Manual trans = no trans cooler needed. The burb needs more done than I can do right now to make it comfortable and tow safe. It's in great shape, no rust. But needs hitch, replacement springs, fabircated headliner for the rear AC installed, 4 wheel disc brake kit installed, upgraded tires, new wheels to fit disc brakes, a modern stereo, etc etc. So no, it wouldnt be cheaper.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I get the hard times man. That doesn’t change the fact this is a BAD idea. Real bad. My advice: Hook up the camper with WDH as tight as you can make it, drive to a scale and weigh the SOB. Then refer to the thread here named
JL JLU Wrangler Weight, Tow Capacity, Max Payload Specs

From there decide if it is worth it. Tires, brakes, coolers, WDH etc etc etc don’t change stated capacities from FCA. Legal is legal. If you go to far you risk breaking axles, legitimately.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
One more point. I tow a 24 ft 5,000 lb GVWR camper with and F150. F150 has 1700 pounds of payload. Once you subtract my fat butt, my wife, my kids, a full tank of gas and a few camping supplies, I am very near capacity. F150 has a tow rating of 7500 or 8000 lbs. there’s is no way I can get there without first overloading the GVWR of the truck. First capacity reached is the most important and all others don’t matter. Not trying to pee in your Cheerios. Just sayin’.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I already mentioned everything that you suggested. Including tires.

WDH - goes with trailer, not vehicle. Brake controller - can be installed from one to another vehicle. Air springs are 10 and change. Receiver cost me $27 off of Facebook, used once. Manual trans = no trans cooler needed. The burb needs more done than I can do right now to make it comfortable and tow safe. It's in great shape, no rust. But needs hitch, replacement springs, fabircated headliner for the rear AC installed, 4 wheel disc brake kit installed, upgraded tires, new wheels to fit disc brakes, a modern stereo, etc etc. So no, it wouldnt be cheaper.
So the Suburban is unsafe, yet overloading the Wangler isn't?
I don't know where you're getting these $10 air springs. The last truck I put them on, they cost $100. Also as someone else pointed out, the $27 receiver is great and all, but you've got to do some modifications to securely mount it.
Technically the transmission cooler isn't NEEDED on the automatic either. It's needed to protect your transmission, not control the load, which it the prime issue here. That said, you don't NEED a fabricated headliner (or a headliner at all for that matter), or a modern stereo in the Suburban to safely pull a trailer. You're trying to make it sound like it needs more work than it does to justify overloading the JL. Justify doing it for whatever reason(s) you want, but you're not going going to safely tow a 6,000 lbs trailer with a Wrangler without doing a lot of work and dropping a lot of coin.

I tried to offer some advice, and gave you an opinion based on experience (as requested). Take it or leave, it doesn't matter to me. You do what your mind is already made up to do. I just hope no one gets hurt in the process (your family or anyone else's).
I have nothing more to add to this thread.
Safe travels.

OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
100 and change, not 10.

You ever drive a giant tin box with no fabric or insulation, a big block and flowmaster exhaust. It neeeeeds a effing headliner broseph jones.

I'm asking what people have done, not what you think I should do. You know so much about me and everything, great. Why dont you come go through my divorce for me? You can pay for it as well. Ever had a child kidnapped by a spouse? I have. For a month. You can deal with that S too.

Burb safe..... 800 lbs of pellets it was a handful. 800 pounds of pellets in the wrangler? It was slower but fine. Don't talk about what you dont know.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..... anybody tow more than 3,500lbs with a 4 door JL or what?

I dont have a trailer picked out. It might way 6,200.... it might weigh 4,600, it might weigh 2,900, it might way 5,200. F, it might thirty seven pounds. It might not ever exist at all. You dont help anything dude. Just say the same S that everybody does over and over. Which is a major weakness of this forum. Of many actually. New car forums tend to have little real knowledge.

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
If you look at the Grand Cherokee, it's rated the same 3500lbs, but 6000lbs with a weight distributing hitch. A JLU will be scary at 3000lbs or higher with a regular hitch. With a WD hitch and sway control, properly set up, good trailer brakes and experience I'd say the 3500lbs is extremely conservative - just like it would be on the GC. 6000lbs is the limit cooling wise per Jeep - they had to modify the Gladiator to get over 6000lbs. So, I'm guessing with a good hitch, weight distributing hitch properly set up and sway control, 5000-6000lbs would be the max it can do without starting to run into engine and trans cooling issues.

I'm betting a JLU towing 2950lbs without trailer brakes, no weight distributing hitch and no sway control would be WAY scarier than 6000lbs with a good wd hitch, properly set up brakes and sway control.

And to answer your question, mine might be a tad over 3500lbs, not sure....No issues. Tows way better than my GW does, which is rated at 5000lbs.

20180707_170432-jpg.jpg

20170413_161038-jpg.jpg

Reactions: igg
OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Beautiful airstream. That thing has got to be over 3,500, no? What year is it and how big?

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I pull a 4000 pound boat without a wd hitch and it pulls it just fine. Mind you it does have surge brakes and doesn’t sag much. I’m also not flying down the highway with it. Also boats tend to be more aerodynamic.

GunnersJL

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubi, 2015 JGC Diesel Overand
That Airstream is a beaut! Quick web search shows roughly 4200 lbs dry, no LP or AC, and 450# tongue weight. My Lance, which I’ve pulled a couple of times with my JK, is 4250 dry, right at 5700 loaded and around 600# tongue weight. But I upgraded the bumper to Class III from the factory Class II. WDH picks up the back end and levels the Jeep sufficiently, no tracking issues while driving. But I won’t tow it with the JL until I get a bumper upgrade. Hitch is a serious weak link. I realize it can tow it, just not comfortable doing so. That said, glad to see it handles that kind of weight well. By the time you are fully loaded you will be right where I am.

FYI, my normal TV is a 2015 JGC diesel. It is rated for 7200#’s, WDH is NOT required to pull that kind of weight. It is an Overland with automatic leveling though (factory airbags). Suspension is designed for towing that kind of weight.

Reactions: igg
OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Thanks for the response. I knew you guys were out there.

Saw the airstream in an other thread. Nobody had an issue with it but nobody knew what it weighed. Let's see if anybody now starts screaming murder.

Any idea on how to upgrade/reinforce the JL? Seems like someone should make something that ties the hitch into the bumper mounts/frame as well as the crossmember. That would be my ideal anyway.

GunnersJL

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubi, 2015 JGC Diesel Overand
To my knowledge, that can only be done with an aftermarket bumper with an integrated hitch versus reusing the factory hitch.

OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Doesnt look like ther ismuch out there. Saw a few chinese ones on ebay... think I'll pass on that.
Sponsored