First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It's cold in Phoenix this week - high 30s. I've noticed that my heater is blowing warm air before I go a quarter mile after a cold start (hot by one mile). Are you colder climate owners seeing the same thing? Quickest heater I've ever owned. Who needs seat-heaters. :)
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
It's cold in Phoenix this week - high 30s. I've noticed that my heater is blowing warm air before I go a quarter mile after a cold start (hot by one mile).

Are you colder climate owners seeing the same thing?
Yes, same.

The heater in Offspring's Honda is almost as strong as what's in the Jeep (which is really saying something), but the Honda takes comparatively forever to warm up. Not so with the Wrangler; I'll have barely passed four houses after leaving my driveway before noticeably warm air begins exiting the dashboard vents.

Gas Jeep here.

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Newer diesels with EGR systems generally take a lot less time to get the coolant up to temp than the older non-EGR diesels. Coolant flows through the fins of the EGR cooler which has hot engine exhaust flowing through it. The EGR cooler also sits right above the exhaust manifold so it is collecting heat both internally and externally which is why the coolant flowing through it gets up to temp a lot quicker.

ghorsepower

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport
The 2.0 T gets up to warm air very quick as well. In less than a minute its warming the cab. Watching the coolant temp at idle it goes from 20-30 to 100+ in 60 secs usually. Must have a pretty small closed loop until the t-stat opens i imagine.

Compared to my 2012 Camry 2.0 which usually is warm as I am pulling into the parking lot at work! (10 mins or so)

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
In sub-32F temps, my 3.6 takes a little while to warm everything up. Usually about 5 minutes of normal/easy driving before the cabin feels comfortable. And ESS is usually still disabled due to 'cabin heating' up to 10 minutes. That's after letting it idle for a minute or two before leaving with hi/auto for HVAC setting.

Seems about normal compared to other gas vehicles I've owned, but not nearly as amazing as the praise I've heard about the JL heater around here. On full-blast (hi/max blower) it eventually gets fairly hot, but just cracking a window a quarter inch causes the cabin to get cold/drafty real quick, which I've never experienced with other vehicles (even at warmer 32F-60F temps).

Deleted member 59498

It's cold in Phoenix this week - high 30s. I've noticed that my heater is blowing warm air before I go a quarter mile after a cold start (hot by one mile). Are you colder climate owners seeing the same thing? Quickest heater I've ever owned. Who needs seat-heaters. :)

It will hit 100 degrees coolant temp fairly quick just idling before I drive off even if near 0 outside. Once I am rolling it goes up fast regardless of outside temp. Doesn't make a lot of difference between garage or parked outside.

Diesel likes its heat for sure.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Ever since manufacturers started deleting exhaust manifolds and use the coolant to cool the exhaust ports, the engines heat up faster. Most of that was done because of emissions and one less part they need to bolt on the engine. My VW heats up really quick but it's like my 2.0 Jeep. Turbo bolted right on the head. My old TDI Jetta was the best. That was because I installed a Zerostart heater on it and thus, it was already up to close to operating temp when I fired it up even of it was 0 deg F out.

Richardrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Willys Sport
today I discovered that the vents are literally scalding hot when set on high for a while. Like, McDonald’s coffee lawsuit level. It was great because we had the top open on a chilly day, but dang. Is that normal!? 🤷‍♂️

My former Highlander and even worse, Ascent, wouldn’t blow hot air for 20 minutes of driving on certain days. Sometimes the engine temp gauge didn’t even budge.

NickJar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RD
today I discovered that the vents are literally scalding hot when set on high for a while. Like, McDonald’s coffee lawsuit level. It was great because we had the top open on a chilly day, but dang. Is that normal!? 🤷‍♂️

My former Highlander and even worse, Ascent, wouldn’t blow hot air for 20 minutes of driving on certain days. Sometimes the engine temp gauge didn’t even budge.
Yup been that way for many generations of jeep, welcome

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
today I discovered that the vents are literally scalding hot when set on high for a while. Like, McDonald’s coffee lawsuit level. It was great because we had the top open on a chilly day, but dang. Is that normal!?
As mentioned, yes. Fair credit to the Wrangler; even my YJ had excellent heating for what it was.

Jturn112

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
Semi-retired.
this wrangler, my gladiator, and the last grand Cherokee I had we're all surprisingly fast to heat up. My 2015 WRX STI used to take 4 or 5 miles minimum to warm, only car I've ever had to run heater max fan, max temp.
Sponsored