Sponsored

Heater for inside of Jeep when it is shut off?

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
Going to be using my Jeep as my tent this fall when grouse hunting. I am going to get a pad for the bed but need ideas for a heater that wont kill me or start on fire. I will have a generator and a dog and electric blanket but was hoping for something i could put maybe on the floor of the passenger side that kicked out heat.
Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
if your running generator outside, I would just get a small personal space heater, probably one with temp control (not just on or off type).

Maybe even find one you could rig to hang from the roll bar for easy access if it gets too hot/cold.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The Coleman Black Cat catalytics are awesome. Just screws onto a green LP cylinder.

Used to use this in a full-size SUV when camping.

Make a bracket as suggested to suspend it. It gets really hot around the edges and you don't want this touching just about anything. But otherwise they are fantastic

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Also I should note the catalytics make a funny smell that'll make you nervous at first but it never harmed us, but of course keep a window cracked somewhere.

It never made us drowsy or light-headed or anything and I'm f f
f
fine. Sorry, just a slight twitch :)

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The Coleman Black Cat catalytics are awesome. Just screws onto a green LP cylinder.

Used to use this in a full-size SUV when camping.

Make a bracket as suggested to suspend it. It gets really hot around the edges and you don't want this touching just about anything. But otherwise they are fantastic
I agree. I have one that can uses different size tanks, including BBQ size, with an adapter.

Cranking open a window a crack and a battery powered carbon monoxide detector are good ideas. Remember, the catalytic aspect @D60 referenced is essential.

A basic flame running off propane without the catalyzation to reduce Carbon Monoxide, in an enclosed space, may kill you. Please be careful. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Going to be using my Jeep as my tent this fall when grouse hunting. I am going to get a pad for the bed but need ideas for a heater that wont kill me or start on fire. I will have a generator and a dog and electric blanket but was hoping for something i could put maybe on the floor of the passenger side that kicked out heat.
If you’re going to be running a generator all night to heat an electric blanket anyway, the electric heater makes more sense imo. I have a tiny one I bought at Walmart several years ago.
Under $20. ~6”x8”x4”. Thermostat, so it cycles on and off. Should be ideal in the Jeep. It also has a kill switch which activates if it gets turned over.
But best to hang it, or put it up front, where it won’t, and where nothing (like a sleeping bag) could possibly touch it.

Edit: I just can’t get comfortable with the idea of sleeping in a small enclosed space with a propane catalytic heater. Might be a loooong nap.

OP
OP
smokinjeep

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
If you’re going to be running a generator all night to heat an electric blanket anyway, the electric heater makes more sense imo. I have a tiny one I bought at Walmart several years ago.
Under $20. ~6”x8”x4”. Thermostat, so it cycles on and off. Should be ideal in the Jeep. It also has a kill switch which activates if it gets turned over.
But best to hang it, or put it up front, where it won’t, and where nothing (like a sleeping bag) could possibly touch it.

Edit: I just can’t get comfortable with the idea of sleeping in a small enclosed space with a propane catalytic heater. Might be a loooong nap.
I agree about propane. No way. I didn’t think about hanging a small electric heater from the rollbar. That should work perfectly. Thanks folks!

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
IMO a better investment would be a better sleeping bag. Especially a down one since there's less of a chance of it getting wet inside a Jeep. It's way easier to insulate yourself than it is to heat up a cab with very little insulation.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
IMO a better investment would be a better sleeping bag. Especially a down one since there's less of a chance of it getting wet inside a Jeep. It's way easier to insulate yourself than it is to heat up a cab with very little insulation.
That’s not inverted logic. That’s just plain old logic.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
That’s not inverted logic. That’s just plain old logic.
Depending on temps, and how much time one is spending in the tent/Jeep, there is something to be said for a wholly warm place, as compared to just a warm sleeping bag, though.
Sponsored