Ronster5

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘70 440 4-spd challenger, hydro Rubicon, waiting on punk’n Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering if anybody is experiencing what I am. I turn on the heated steering wheel either with the button or from the screen. It stays on for about three seconds, and then shuts off. It never stays on. Anybody?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Wondering if anybody is experiencing what I am. I turn on the heated steering wheel either with the button or from the screen. It stays on for about three seconds, and then shuts off. It never stays on. Anybody?
@Ronster5

It will probably work just fine in the Winter. I'd expect it to shut off if you tune it on on a hot Summer's day.

OP
OP
Ronster5

Ronster5

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Ronster5

It will probably work just fine in the Winter. I'd expect it to shut off if you tune it on on a hot Summer's day.
That’s what I was thinking. But my doors are off, and I drive to work at 4 AM in the morning. It’s been a little chilly outside at that hour.
And when I first purchased it in Arizona It worked n 100° weather when I wanted to see what it felt like LOL

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Ronster5

In warm temps, if it comes on / you feel the heat and then it shuts right off, you can be confident the heated steering wheel is working properly.

OP
OP
Ronster5

Ronster5

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Ronster5

In warm temps, if it comes on / you feel the heat and then it shuts right off, you can be confident the heated steering wheel is working properly.
It does not even stay on long enough for it to get warm. The light turns on for about three seconds and then it shuts off automatically. It worked in Arizona in 100° weather when I bought it

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Heated Steering Wheel — If Equipped The steering wheel contains a heating element that helps warm your hands in cold weather. The heated steering wheel has only one temperature setting. Once the heated steering wheel has been turned on, it will stay on until the operator turns it off. The heated steering wheel may not turn on when it is already warm. The heated steering wheel control button is located on the center of the instrument panel below the touchscreen and within the climate or controls screen of the touchscreen.

• Push the heated steering wheel button once to turn the heating element on.
• Push the heated steering wheel button a second time to turn the heating element off.

NOTE: The engine must be running for the heated steering wheel to operate. Vehicles Equipped With Remote Start On models that are equipped with remote start, the heated steering wheel can be programmed to come on during a remote start. This feature can be programmed through the Uconnect system. Refer to “Uconnect Settings” in “Multimedia” for further information.

WARNING!

• Persons who are unable to feel pain to the skin because of advanced age, chronic illness, diabetes, spinal cord injury, medication, alcohol use, exhaustion, or other physical conditions must exercise care when using the steering wheel heater. It may cause burns even at low temperatures, especially if used for long periods.

(Continued) 3 GETTING TO KNOW YOUR VEHICLE 59

WARNING! (Continued)

• Do not place anything on the steering wheel that insulates against heat, such as a blanket or steering wheel covers of any type and material. This may cause the steering wheel heater to overheat.
-- GETTING TO KNOW YOUR VEHICLE 59

OP
OP
Ronster5

Ronster5

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone. Even though it was pretty chilly at 4am with doors off on my way to work, guess I’ll wait to see when it’s colder outside. I think this am it was around 55 without the wind.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Have your checked your fuses? Some have found that the fuses were not all seated properly. Maybe that'll help.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It should work at 55 deg. Might have a bad temp switch.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
It should work at 55 deg. Might have a bad temp switch.
Yup, ^this^

I have used mine on mornings warmer than 55, for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ronster5

Ronster5

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I took my jeep in for an oil change and told them about the steering wheel. They ran a few tests on it and came to the conclusion that the steering wheel is bad. They are replacing the entire steering wheel. Crazy

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Well, I took my jeep in for an oil change and told them about the steering wheel. They ran a few tests on it and came to the conclusion that the steering wheel is bad. They are replacing the entire steering wheel. Crazy
:surprised:

Or it could be that. :cwl:

OP
OP
Ronster5

Ronster5

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, new update. Took my Rubicon in to have the steering wheel replace today (that’s what the dealer told me it needed). And when they put the new wheel on, it still didn’t work.
After they dug a little deeper,they found a loose wire that wasn’t snapped in all the way (from factory).
So, now needless to say when I drive to work tomorrow at 4:30am with doors off and top down, my hands should feel nice and toasty. :fingerscrossed:

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Well, new update. Took my Rubicon in to have the steering wheel replace today (that’s what the dealer told me it needed). And when they put the new wheel on, it still didn’t work.
After they dug a little deeper,they found a loose wire that wasn’t snapped in all the way (from factory).
So, now needless to say when I drive to work tomorrow at 4:30am with doors off and top down, my hands should feel nice and toasty. :fingerscrossed:
Dealerships are so incompetent.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Dealerships are so incompetent.
It’s a new platform. It’ll be a few years before the guys in the service bay will know what “common issues/fixes” are. The good news is folks on the forum who read about these solutions can share the information if something like this happens to them. Competency takes time...
Sponsored