Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Towards the end of this past chilly morning season, I remote started my 19 JLUR. It was below 40°F, so the seat and steering wheel heaters went on automatically. After hopping in I noticed a strange smell, and with the door closed and blocking the wind, I immediately saw a string of smoke coming from the steering column right behind the wheel. The wheel was warm and still powered, so I shut it off and the smoke quickly stopped. Before shutting down at work about 10 minutes later, I tried turning it back on but the buttons indicator light automatically shut off after a few seconds. It was completely shot.

Since I'm way out of the factory warranty period, and frankly wouldn't let them touch it even if that wasn't the case, I was hoping that one or more of you wonderful fellow members would happen to know exactly what I need to order to get the heated steering wheel back online.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Edited for more detail

A steering wheel, most likely.

Test all of the other functions of the steering wheel, if you can. If you burned up the SCCM you wouldlose more functions that the heater.

The most probable fault is the heater wire in or to the wheel went bad, and burned up.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Edited for more detail

A steering wheel, most likely.

Test all of the other functions of the steering wheel, if you can. If you burned up the SCCM you wouldlose more functions that the heater.

The most probable fault is the heater wire in or to the wheel went bad, and burned up.
No problems with all of the steering wheel buttons on both the front and back. Horn still works, even though the kamikaze commuters don't seem to hear it. The trace of smoke was coming from the parting line between the back of the wheel and the first stationary plastic filler piece on the column.

If I hit the dash button for the wheel heater the yellow indicator light still illuminates, so the fuse for that circuit is still hot.

I'll open up the column to check for a damaged wire. If all is good on that front, a new steering wheel is all that I'd need? If so, it'll be a good excuse to upgrade to a 392 wheel.

Sponsored

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Since it's out of warranty anyway, take it to a reputable local shop. I trust local mechanics more than I do Jeep techs. Why? If they've been in business awhile, local shop owners have more skin in the game and will take more time to correctly diagnose your problem. Just find a local shop that has good reviews and has been there a while. At least you'll get a proper diagnosis.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Steering column control modules do have to be programmed, unfortunately.

AgentBartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Towards the end of this past chilly morning season, I remote started my 19 JLUR. It was below 40°F, so the seat and steering wheel heaters went on automatically. After hopping in I noticed a strange smell, and with the door closed and blocking the wind, I immediately saw a string of smoke coming from the steering column right behind the wheel. The wheel was warm and still powered, so I shut it off and the smoke quickly stopped. Before shutting down at work about 10 minutes later, I tried turning it back on but the buttons indicator light automatically shut off after a few seconds. It was completely shot.

Since I'm way out of the factory warranty period, and frankly wouldn't let them touch it even if that wasn't the case, I was hoping that one or more of you wonderful fellow members would happen to know exactly what I need to order to get the heated steering wheel back online.

Thanks in advance!
I had this same thing happen to me yesterday on my 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. Have you solved this problem? If so how and for how much?

Bart

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Steering column control modules do have to be programmed, unfortunately.
Hmm, I swapped the SCCM in my wife’s Jeep when I installed heated seats and wheel and didn’t have to program it. 🤷‍♂️
Gregj

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Yeah you can just toss in a new wheel and it will work, assuming that the wheel was the part that fried. It's most likely the case, because the regulator is in the hub of the wheel. It's extremely unlikely that the heated wheel is anything more than a relay-switched 12v circuit. The HVAC module will output a +12v signal when the button is pressed and that throws the relay. I've yet to see one that has a "heated wheel" module that communicates on the vehicle data bus.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Jeep has a “comfort module” and it is all controlled via can bus.
Gregj

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had this same thing happen to me yesterday on my 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. Have you solved this problem? If so how and for how much?

Bart
No, I haven't fixed it yet. I only went far enough to price a new heated steering wheel at a local dealer. I forget the exact number, but it was under $600 and would only take a day or so to be ready for pick-up.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Hmm, I swapped the SCCM in my wife’s Jeep when I installed heated seats and wheel and didn’t have to program it. 🤷‍♂️
Gregj
Some features have to be turned on. They’ll typically set a bunch of VIN mismatch codes that otherwise don’t affect operation.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some features have to be turned on. They’ll typically set a bunch of VIN mismatch codes that otherwise don’t affect operation.
I use JScan to enable the functions. The only code I get is an “implausible configuration “ or something like that.
Gregj

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I use JScan to enable the functions. The only code I get is an “implausible configuration “ or something like that.
Gregj
So, yes, it needs to be programmed.
Sponsored