Sponsored

Heated steering wheel not that hot?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I have a 2021 JLUR and it does not appear that the steering wheel is getting that warm/hot. In my SRT the damn thing about burns your hands of and you need to actually turn it off. In the JLUR it remains barely warmer than the rest of the interior. Is anyone else having the same problem? I know it is a small thing to complain about, just want to know if my expectations are too high as far as how hot and how long it should stay on for.
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I have a '20 sport with the cold weather package. My steering wheel gets hand melting hot after 5 minutes and I shut it off.

SLK RCK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have a '20 sport with the cold weather package. My steering wheel gets hand melting hot after 5 minutes and I shut it off.
I would definitely not describe mine like that! I wonder if there is some computerized or auto rheostat that controls the # of amps to the wheel???

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Mine gets so hot I have to turn it off. I doubt anything has changed based on model year, you might need a new steering wheel. Are you any good with a multimeter?

SLK RCK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Mine gets so hot I have to turn it off. I doubt anything has changed based on model year, you might need a new steering wheel. Are you any good with a multimeter?
Yes, do you have guidance to test?

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
2020 JLU here. Used it today in 34°F windows down, super hot within minutes. Stayed too hot for a while; I shut it off. Generally, it starts off uniformly super hot, but then cools down and only keeps certain spots hot, but that is only the case in 35°F or below, wind blowing, no heat. Sealed cabin and climate control on, too hot at any temp. Hot spots are hot enough to make thin driving gloves between 25-35°F almost a requirement.

Sorry, I lied, they aren't real driving driving gloves, just the nicest pair of deerskin shooting gloves I've ever found.

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

To be clear, it does turn on and warms up the steering wheel, but just barely warm. Not hot like the wheels I have on my other Jeep vehicles. Still hotter than my TJ and my daughters XJ though, LOL.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
To be clear, it does turn on and warms up the steering wheel, but just barely warm. Not hot like the wheels I have on my other Jeep vehicles. Still hotter than my TJ and my daughters XJ though, LOL.
To reiterate: Mine is pretty flaming hot if there isn't constant convection taking heat away.

Maybe check it/ get it checked to make sure it is operating properly.

Sponsored

Cliebo

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sahara Unlimited
same as others mine gets too hot i have to shut it off, 2018 Sahara.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
My 2021 is fine. On par with the other heated wheels I have used. I am glad it isn't too hot to keep on, but it's warm enough that I still end up shutting it off.

SLK RCK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My 2021 is fine. On par with the other heated wheels I have used. I am glad it isn't too hot to keep on, but it's warm enough that I still end up shutting it off.
I could describe mine like this, definitely not hot, but I do end up turning it off after 30-60 min.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I have a 2021 JLUR and it does not appear that the steering wheel is getting that warm/hot. In my SRT the damn thing about burns your hands of and you need to actually turn it off. In the JLUR it remains barely warmer than the rest of the interior. Is anyone else having the same problem? I know it is a small thing to complain about, just want to know if my expectations are too high as far as how hot and how long it should stay on for.
So I don't have my JL yet, but test drove a 2021 JLU Sport S last weekend. It was about 40 here in MD. I had the wheel on for the whole 25 minute drive. It was super comfortable but not unbearable

Then I had to return it and get into my cold Subaru with a normal steering wheel... Gross!
Sponsored