Heated Steering Wheel not staying on.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You really need a good diagnostic scanner to see what codes are in the body module.
Sponsored

dmorton

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ULR, 06 TJ
2500 miles, 2021 JLUR, my heated wheel stopped working last week. Dealer called me today and said something is wrong with the wiring harness in the wheel and they have to order the parts. When will the parts be in? April. Yes, April. Super.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
2500 miles, 2021 JLUR, my heated wheel stopped working last week. Dealer called me today and said something is wrong with the wiring harness in the wheel and they have to order the parts. When will the parts be in? April. Yes, April. Super.
what part? The clockspring? They should try repairing the end connections if it is going to take that long.

Aramos3

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Millwork Estimator
Not on my Rubicon but on 2014 Ram the heated steering wheel would stay on for a second and shut off indicating a short. Dealer quoted me $400 for a new clock spring. Tackled the project myself and upon removal of the horn I could see one of the wires leading up the clockspring had been rubbing and the insulation was grounding with metal. Reposition the harness and insulated the wire, fixed the problem and returned the replacement clockspring Inhad purchased. Might be worth removing your airbag and inspecting all the wires and making sure the pins are all seated in the wiring harness.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Not on my Rubicon but on 2014 Ram the heated steering wheel would stay on for a second and shut off indicating a short. Dealer quoted me $400 for a new clock spring. Tackled the project myself and upon removal of the horn I could see one of the wires leading up the clockspring had been rubbing and the insulation was grounding with metal. Reposition the harness and insulated the wire, fixed the problem and returned the replacement clockspring Inhad purchased. Might be worth removing your airbag and inspecting all the wires and making sure the pins are all seated in the wiring harness.
I think thatā€™s the case where you should definitely replace the wiring harness, I donā€™t know how well Iā€™d trust a patch job on such critical parts.

Sponsored

dmorton

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ULR, 06 TJ
what part? The clockspring? They should try repairing the end connections if it is going to take that long.
Just got back from picking it up. Invoice says they ordered a new steering wheel, Module, and wiring harness. Said the SCCM connector and wheel connector melted.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Just got back from picking it up. Invoice says they ordered a new steering wheel, Module, and wiring harness. Said the SCCM connector and wheel connector melted.
oo boy thatā€™s a bad one. Bad connections make for some hot terminals. Glad they are getting it fixed though.

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Thanks for the info guys. I wish mine was still under warranty, but oh well. Looks like I should schedule a service appointment.

glady8or

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I got in my 2020 Gladiator this morning with the same problem! Turn on the steering wheel and it stays on for 2-3 seconds and then shuts off.

dmorton

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ULR, 06 TJ
Just as an update, my jeep went in to replace the steering wheel on March 23rd. The dealer told me that Jeep sent the wrong part number. Put the old wheel back on and said they would reorder. I just called the dealer today (May 3rd) and they still do not have the part. They said Jeep isnt sending out the part and to give it a little while longer. Anyway, I wonder if @JeepCares can help?

I got in my 2020 Gladiator this morning with the same problem! Turn on the steering wheel and it stays on for 2-3 seconds and then shuts off.
glady8or, did you get yours fixed?

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Hello,

Just recently had my heated steering not stay on after turning it on. My jeep is out of warranty, so I would like to fix it on my own.

Anyone know what it could be? I see there are multiple other threads on it, but the only answer I found was to take it to a dealership.

Thanks
Here's some data on the heated steering wheel.

Attachments

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just as an update, my jeep went in to replace the steering wheel on March 23rd. The dealer told me that Jeep sent the wrong part number. Put the old wheel back on and said they would reorder. I just called the dealer today (May 3rd) and they still do not have the part. They said Jeep isnt sending out the part and to give it a little while longer. Anyway, I wonder if @JeepCares can help?

glady8or, did you get yours fixed?
We can certainly dig in on this further with you, dmorton. Please send us a private message with some more details to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

KzooMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Similar issue in a similar time frame. Been out of commission since April. The dealer said they can't get parts any more because they are doing a redesign to fix the issue. Anybody else heard that story? We only have a couple of more months of warm weather here in MI so I'd like to see it fixed soon. Heck, there's been a couple of times in June where I would have turned it on the heated wheel if I could have.

RamonaTheJLU

First Name
Rebekah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Hello,

Just recently had my heated steering not stay on after turning it on. My jeep is out of warranty, so I would like to fix it on my own.

Anyone know what it could be? I see there are multiple other threads on it, but the only answer I found was to take it to a dealership.

Thanks
Experienced this this morning. Auto started Ramona because of the cold and the steering wheel heater would not stay on. Got to work and shut her off then restarted normal and it works like it should on normal startā€¦???

Ei4115

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
What did everyone come up with? Does anyone have the parts numbers from the invoice? My 2019 JLUR with 37k miles just started having the same problem. Iā€™ve read multiple messages and it seems to all be the same, the module with overheated wiring. It would seem to me that a TSB would be in order based on my limited research and dozens of vehicles exhibiting the same issue. Thanks.
Sponsored