Heated seat only stays on 1 second

Diesel550

First Name
Addam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
My drivers side heated seat is now only staying on for 1 second.
I push the button, it shows all 3 lights, stays lit for about 1 second then turns itself off.
Any guesses before I call the dealer.
Jeep is only a month and a half old, 1500 miles.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Diesel550

Call and make a Service Department appt.. No forum posts here referencing, say a simple remedy, for this issue.

Also, while the JL is at the dealership for that, ask them to update the PCM with any and all updates associated with your JL's Vin#..

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
My drivers side heated seat is now only staying on for 1 second.
I push the button, it shows all 3 lights, stays lit for about 1 second then turns itself off.
Any guesses before I call the dealer.
Jeep is only a month and a half old, 1500 miles.
Have you made certain all of the fuses are fully seated?

JLJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Have you made certain all of the fuses are fully seated?
Ive had mine for about 3500 miles and today it was 6 degrees and the heated wheel would do the same thing and when I left the gym it worked. I started the jeep leaving work and same thing when I got home I locked it got back in and it worked. Ill be calling tomorrow. Im an industrial mechanic and electrical tech. The low temp and duplicateable nature is interesting to say the least.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Ive had mine for about 3500 miles and today it was 6 degrees and the heated wheel would do the same thing and when I left the gym it worked. I started the jeep leaving work and same thing when I got home I locked it got back in and it worked. Ill be calling tomorrow. Im an industrial mechanic and electrical tech. The low temp and duplicateable nature is interesting to say the least.
So, you haven't checked your fuses? It's stupid simple and has solved a lot of people's electrical Gremlins...

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Dan S

Reading what the OP, states he is seeing, it is pretty apparent, that it is not a mere fuse problem.

Yes, JL owner's when they first acquire their vehicle, should ascertain that all the relays and the fuses in the PDC are firmly pushed down. Usually, the owner will find they are not...

Reality is checking those same fuses and relays routinely to see if they are pressed down, is a positive move.

JLJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@Dan S

Reading what the OP, states he is seeing, it is pretty apparent, that it is not a mere fuse problem.

Yes, JL owner's when they first acquire their vehicle, should ascertain that all the relays and the fuses in the PDC are firmly pushed down. Usually, the owner will find they are not...

Reality is checking those same fuses and relays routinely to see if they are pressed down, is a positive move.
Went out and checked the fuses they were all 1/16-1/32 from being bottomed out. I scheduled an appt for next wed for that the touch screen buttons not working issue and a buzzing cominng from the slotted area by my right knee under the steering wheel. Hope the fuses solves it all.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
@Dan S

It very well could be the root cause of the issue, or may not be related at all. But, as stated, it's a stupid simple thing to check and if it doesn't work he's only lost a minute of his life. If it does work, it could save someone hours of going to the dealer and waiting or making a trip back...

But, I appreciate the condescension.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Dan S

My pleasure.. But do know that when I am being condescending you will know it. I was not being condescending.

And no, a fuse being burnt out or not pushed in is not going to be the cause of the OP's problem.

Yes, a positive thing in general to mention to a JL owner... the OP, to be sure they push in the fuses and relays.

JLJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@Dan S

My pleasure.. But do know that when I am being condescending you will know it. I was not being condescending.

And no, a fuse being burnt out or not pushed in is not going to be the cause of the OP's problem.

Yes, a positive thing in general to mention to a JL owner... the OP, to be sure they push in the fuses and relays.
Just glad that when the next person has this issue which Im sure will happen they will know not to take the small stuff for granted since a robot probably installed those fuses. Dc control voltage can be a real mofo. Thank you for your imput guys it is greatly appreciated

Sponsored

JLJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just glad that when the next person has this issue which Im sure will happen they will know not to take the small stuff for granted since a robot probably installed those fuses. Dc control voltage can be a real mofo. Thank you for your imput guys it is greatly appreciated
Day shift mechanic came back in with his wifes van because she said the lock was frozen...the door wouldn't open with the auto door opener or key fob so I reached in and unlocked it lol. My favorite kind of fixes plus he may get some action tonight over that ‍♂

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My drivers side heated seat is now only staying on for 1 second...
This is almost always a loose wire or open circuit somewhere. Those heaters are built to turn off when there are open circuits to avoid a fire. If not a wire, it's your seat cushion control module. Either way, it's a dealer thing.

If you care to look for yourself, use this https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/GROUND-LOCATION-LAYOUT.pdf and locate G920A. Follow all of the wires connected to it and ensure they are connected properly.

JLJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This is almost always a loose wire or open circuit somewhere. Those heaters are built to turn off when there are open circuits to avoid a fire. If not a wire, it's your seat cushion control module. Either way, it's a dealer thing.

If you care to look for yourself, use this https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/GROUND-LOCATION-LAYOUT.pdf and locate G920A. Follow all of the wires connected to it and ensure they are connected properly.
My problems came back and the dealer said they wont do anything unless they can duplicate it after I just leave my jeep there with no rental car. He said what could he possibly do....wtf. Couldn't trace the circuit and check the connectors and make sure the firmware and software for my head unit was up to date lol.
Thank you for the diagram ill look into your suggestion. Damn thing will start and no steering wheel heater. Turn it off turn off the radio and start it back up and it works fine. On screen button for the radio whole nother story.

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
... Couldn't trace the circuit and check the connectors and make sure the firmware and software for my head unit was up to date lol....
First it sounds like you should get another Jeep dealer. :/ Second, did he check your OBDII port? It's almost certain there's a special Jeep diagnostic code for a driver's side heater element short. If not, there might be something more generic that's indicative of the failure. Worth a look. If all else fails, and you get brave, I found this "how to install heated seats on a JK" link. Reverse engineering might help but (from experience here) nothing will help you re-stretch the fabric or leather over the seat cushions after you peel them back. It's like Pandora's box up in there.

JLJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
First it sounds like you should get another Jeep dealer. :/ Second, did he check your OBDII port? It's almost certain there's a special Jeep diagnostic code for a driver's side heater element short. If not, there might be something more generic that's indicative of the failure. Worth a look. If all else fails, and you get brave, I found this "how to install heated seats on a JK" link. Reverse engineering might help but (from experience here) nothing will help you re-stretch the fabric or leather over the seat cushions after you peel them back. It's like Pandora's box up in there.
Im going to try to go above them to see what they have to say and try to be calm about it. My issue is the steering wheel but same symptom as the seat light goes off after a second or two. No, no obd2 just the same dumb look im used to getting from people who think Im buying their bullshit/ ingnorant demeanor. I work with a 25 year control tech and if need be ill just figure it out and tell them to fix it.
Is there somewhere to buy the wiring schematics for the JL? Or comprehensive repair manual. I plan on keeping this jeep forever and dont have a problem investing a fair amount of money on that literature.
Sponsored