First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Mech Engineer
Anyway, I think you guys are way to defensive over a brand in rapid decline. The quality of these Jeeps is absolutely atrocious, but again, thats a whole other story.
I think you'll find a LOT of wrangler/gladiator buyers want simplicity in our vehicle systems, not a bunch of if/then operations that the vehicle may/may not due under various circumstances. I agree, some things are nice (heated steering wheel & seats turning on with auto-start being my #1), but I personally want as much control as I can over the vehicle without it choosing to operate in a way that the design engineers think is better/safer. Some of these annoying safe-guards are auto-parking the vehicle when reversing with the door open and seatbelt off, cutting power to the wheels when I'm trying to have some "spirited" fun in the snow, etc.

I'm guessing some of the vehicles you refer to as having these other creature comforts are more geared toward luxury (yes, the Jeep GC qualifies as this). If those features are more important, you've got dozens of other vehicle options.
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Over 30 years of experience in engineering would generally indicate a high level of attention to detail; forgetting to turn off the wipers before exiting the vehicle is contrary to that argument. :movember:

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
Reading some of these replies, it's obvious you guys really are missing the point.

I'm not questioning whether or not the wipers should come on in cold weather.:CWL:

I'm not questioning the fact I left them on intermittent last time I was in the "car".

I never suggested they should come on automatically or expect them to, do you think I'm mad? What purpose would this possibly have?

Completely wrong, my 2012 Grand Cherokee would have prevented this, as would so many other cars that I've owned. The below is from the WK2, albeit with rain sensing wipers but as I say, I've had other cars with conventional wipers that did just that.

Screenshot 2021-10-16 at 17.31.23.png

@Reinen as an engineer with over 30 years experience, I have honestly never heard this saying, but I do know the value of designing to protect equipment against human error.
Why cant we stop and start an automatic in Drive? Guess thats a safety thing eh... Or why does the stop/start feature prevent itself from operating under certain circumstances?

There are so many other features that they have thought of that are driver convenance or safety features, for example, if you unlock the car with the remote and do not open any doors within a short period of time, the doors will lock themselves again, I like this and can see why it's useful. Similar to the point of my post, the automatic switching on of the heated steering wheel and seats when below a certain temperature, so why in the name of [insert something funny in here] did they in their ultimate wisdom, allow the wipers to wipe on startup in such cold conditions when it can so easily damage wiper blades, mechanism or blow a fuse, nonsense.

Anyway, I think you guys are way to defensive over a brand in rapid decline. The quality of these Jeeps is absolutely atrocious, but again, thats a whole other story.
my 2018 JL was my first Jeep and my first FCA vehicle ever - we're at 30,000 miles and the truck has not had a single defect (knock wood).

we just picked up another 2021 JL yesterday (90 days from order to delivery) and with 42 miles, so far it's perfect.

Good QC in my brief experience.
Sponsored