First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Didn't think anyone would ever have that problem... Updated the table to show a ridiculous 52.8° of breakover angle. That sounds so absurd that I'm not even sure if it's calculating correctly.
The formula that you are using is an approximation that is only accurate for tires small compared the the wheelbase. I tried deriving an accurate formula that takes the tire's loaded radius into account and got it down to one unknown but was unable to solve it due to the trig functions. I suspect this is why a more accurate formula is not available.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The formula that you are using is an approximation that is only accurate for tires small compared the the wheelbase. I tried deriving an accurate formula that takes the tire's loaded radius into account and got it down to one unknown but was unable to solve it due to the trig functions. I suspect this is why a more accurate formula is not available.
I actually didn't even use a formula to figure this out, and it's strictly based on number of inches above factory Rubicon height. It doesn't matter how you get the height and could be lift, tires, hot-air-balloon assist, etc... as long as you are higher it should be a close enough estimate.

Since we know the wheelbase and published breakover numbers, you can use this tool to find the approximate ground clearance (I found that the JLR ≈ 12", JLUR ≈ 11.85", JTUR ≈ 12.3"). Then add 1" increments using the same tool, record findings, and make a pretty graph. Obviously this overlooks many factors, but come on... who's going to increase ground clearance 12" and not modify anything else that effects breakover.

The real purpose I had for creating this was to show how much lift a JLU or JT would need to get close to a stock JLR's breakover angle (it's 2.5" for the JLU, and 4.5" for the JT). Also interesting is that a 1" lift & 35s on a JLR would be equal to a 4.5" lift with 40s on a JT.

cpawlFL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Want to thank everyone for their input. Ended up going with 35x11.5R17 Trail Grapplers. Will say, I am very glad I went with the 11.5 wide option. Some people love the "wide" look but my personal taste is tucked. Exactly what these tires deliver on OEM Rubicon Rims.

Barely put any miles on these so can only say these Nitto are heavy and can feel it the difference from the OEM 33s. I am very happy with appearance... Time will tell if I made the right decision re: performance but pleased with the decision thus far.

tempImageI74JG5.png
Been a couple months now. How do they feel? Keep looking at the AT3s, but man these look so much better. I enjoy the way my JLUR drives with the stock K02s and don’t want to lose to much of that to such a heavy tire. I don’t have a need for a MT, mainly cosmetic.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Been a couple months now. How do they feel? Keep looking at the AT3s, but man these look so much better. I enjoy the way my JLUR drives with the stock K02s and don’t want to lose to much of that to such a heavy tire. I don’t have a need for a MT, mainly cosmetic.
Sometimes it helps to get someone's attention by mentioning them like this: @BuyHold

I've got the 35x11.5 Trail Grapplers on my JLR with a manual transmission. I put quite a few miles on them this summer, from L.A. to Moab to Ouray Colorado to Pennsylvania to North Carolina. It was trailered between those locations, but got a good mix of street and trail at various elevations during this time.

These are great all-purpose tires. Not too noisy on the road (yet) with decent grip on the trail. I don't expect it to drive like a sports car though, so they might not meet your expectations. My Jeep has been up at Livernois for the last month so they can solve the "rev hang" issue troubling us manual transmission owners. Frankly, I've forgotten what it's like to drive my Jeep. My point is that prior to taking it up there I asked about the 35's and they told me they would show lower numbers on the dyno. So I swapped them for a set of street tires. It was pretty amazing how much more nimble and quick the Jeep felt.

You will definitely experience reduced street performance with the larger and heavier tires, not to mention worse wet weather performance that comes with a mud terrain. Only you can answer if the looks are worth it...

OP
OP
BuyHold

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Thanks @Kreepin1 for the notice.

To answer your question @cpawlFL:

Have had these 35x11.5r17 TGs for only about 1,000 miles now so really only think I am still in the "initial impressions" phase of being able to evaluate these. I don't commute to work in my Jeep. My driving has been around town surface streets, highway drive to trails and then of course trails. Off road terrain is logging roads, rock crawling (nothing extreme but lockers are engaged from time to time), loose dirt, loose gravel and muddyish trails (no bogs). No sand and no snow yet.

So far I really like the TGs and am happy I went with them over ATIIIs. For an off-road focused tire, they certainly deliver. I think that they look awesome.

The cons are poorer street/highway performance and about 1.5 less MPGs. These tires are heavy. I don't daily drive my Jeep but if I did, I think that the ATIIIs would be better suited for that. They aren't loud but on surface streets I certainly feel the Nitto's MT treads slap on the pavement as I roll to stops. They are also not loud on highways and actually ride very well except they are heavy and you can feel that in acceleration/braking (can also feel that on surface streets!).

Nitto TrailGrapplers are an off-road focused tire (obvious) and I think that they absolutely deliver in that department. I would absolutely buy them again for my intended use. That said, the standard drawbacks we all know about heavy MTs on-road are real. For me the drawbacks are completely acceptable but if my Jeep was my work commute vehicle then I probably would think twice about them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BuyHold

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Decided to go with the Toyo AT3s 315/70/17. Getting installed Thursday
Jeep Wrangler JL Heart Says Nitto Trail Grapplers s But Brain Says Toyo A/TIIIs DB6A96B7-4094-44D3-AA71-E6E961871622
Awesome! I am excited to hear how you like them after trying them out. They look great.

On paper, Toyo says these are 63lbs compared to TG paper-weight of 73lbs. Really interested in hearing your first impression of how "heavy" the ATiiis feel especially while the handling of the OEM KO2s is fresh on your mind.

cpawlFL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The 315/70/17 Toyo AT3s are great. Slight hum while driving. The weight difference over factory isn’t that noticeable. Happy I went with the wider tire. Had 1”F/.5R Teraflex spacers installed today.

1C5093B5-D940-48DA-8737-ED7BF972C3E8.jpeg

OP
OP
BuyHold

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
The 315/70/17 Toyo AT3s are great. Slight hum while driving. The weight difference over factory isn’t that noticeable. Happy I went with the wider tire. Had 1”F/.5R Teraflex spacers installed today.

Jeep Wrangler JL Heart Says Nitto Trail Grapplers s But Brain Says Toyo A/TIIIs 1C5093B5-D940-48DA-8737-ED7BF972C3E8
Those tires are awesome. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to hearing your 1K report on impressions. Offroad commentary a plus!

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
I recently installed Toyo A/TIII's, load range C in 35x11.5x17. These and the Nitto Ridge Grapplers were my two choices and ultimately settled on the Toyo's because of three-peak rated and being in the north east that's essential for a DD. My Willys JLU came with destination M/T and were not good on wet conditions, so they were sold within the first 500 miles. I've been previously running General Grabber A/Tx's the last three years w/out complaints in 285/70/17. These Toyo's in a 35" are just as heavy and seem to grip the road similar to the Grabbers, winter review TBD. In addition to the tire upgrade, I installed Mopar LCA's (great budget upgrade to tighten up steering), speedo recalibration, 1 TF spacer lift, Rubicon springs and an adjustable front trackbar. Now it drives exceptionally well, straight on the highway w/out wandering and consistently hits 8th gear (3.6L w/auto). Having a 11.5 wide tire keeps them tucked within the fenders, so in PA that's a must to pass annual inspection. I'm still trying to figure out a good tire PSI, currently at 36#.

Jeep Wrangler JL Heart Says Nitto Trail Grapplers s But Brain Says Toyo A/TIIIs 355
Sponsored