Heart Says Nitto Trail Grapplers s But Brain Says Toyo A/TIIIs

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Have owned my 2door Rubicon for 2 months now and, like many Jeep owners, the bigger-tire-bug has started to bite. Am a big fan of the OEM Rubicon wheels and the tucked look that they offer and so want to keep the OEM rims.

As the headline says, the two tires I have whittled my preferences down to are Toyo Open County A/T IIIs and Nitto Trail Grapplers, both offered in 35x11.5r17. Here is what I see as the pros and cons of these two options.

Nitto Trail Grapplers
Pros
*Look awesome
*Mud Terrain "better" for muddy trails in my area
*Look Awesome
*Always wanted mud terrains for some reason
Cons
*Not snow rated and supposedly poorer on wet roads (roads in my area are perpetually wet)
*Heavy AF
*Nitto's premium price
*Louder (not important to me but a con nonetheless)

Toyo Open Country A/T IIIs
Pros
*Lighter for 35s
*Snow rated and supposedly performs well on wet roads
*Cheaper
*Longer tread life (I am told, feel free to tell me otherwise)
*Quieter (again, not important to me)

Cons
*Poorer mud performance (trails in my area are muddier)
*Look good, not great

If anyone has experience with these tires or, even better, can tell my why I should pick one over the other, I would love to hear what you think. What would you recommend and why?

Also, I plan to add a lift to my JL but not in the near future.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Might consider the Ridge Grappler in a 285/75/17, better for not having a lift and a good middle ground from the two tires you listed.
https://www.nittotire.com/light-tru...wQuMWKqI0UuzAgKl3uT4JUqrPdhZopSsaAltvEALw_wcB

If you are set on just the two you listed I think it depends how much winter, wet & freezing weather you plan to run w/ your Rubicon, if it's on the low side the Nittos, if that's a priority then the Toyos.

I'd also look at the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT in a 295/70/17, not as tall, but a bit wider w/ a very aggressive sidewall, better tread wear, and should be a great AT set.
https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/light-truck-tires/baja-boss-a-t

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Your brain is stupid. Follow your heart the first time or your brain will correct its stupid ways when the heart didn't get what it wanted the first time.

I quit listening to my stupid brain years ago. :CWL:

OP
OP
BuyHold

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I run 35x12.5 Toyo AT II. Love the tires. Have 15k on them and with rotating them every 5k wear is even and I’d be shocked if I don’t get 50k out of these. We had a harsh winter in NJ this year. No issues at all with snow or rain. Great on the beach as well don’t even need to air down. I do more rock crawling than mudding and they’ve been great on the rocks.

Sponsored

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
Is it just a tire bug? If you want them for performance the Toyo Open Country A/T IIIs are not even a comparison, epically in Washington as it's muddy here a really good portion of the time.
blnewt had a good point into looking at other options a little more in-between and that's a good alternative option. What do you like on your TJ?
But the best advice I can advise you is hold of as long as possible. You already own those tires, regardless if money isn't an issue. I had this same urge but after some good tail runs, my questions have been answered. Getting stuck out on the trails will be more of an issue to me then driving carefully in bad conditions on pavement. Mine does have the full time AWD which makes my decision a little easier. The trails will give you your answer and if that doesn't sound like a good place to get your answer. Then your questions is kind of already answered and get something that fits both in mind.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I've got about 150 miles on the Trail Grapplers. My Jeep drives great with them (3.6 and 6-speed). I suggest you find a shop that will sipe them or better yet get a tire groover and do it yourself. A siped mud tire will do well on wet or even snowy roads and it helps grip rocks off-road.

Jeep Wrangler JL Heart Says Nitto Trail Grapplers s But Brain Says Toyo A/TIIIs IMG_3396.JPG

OP
OP
BuyHold

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Want to thank everyone for their input. Ended up going with 35x11.5R17 Trail Grapplers. Will say, I am very glad I went with the 11.5 wide option. Some people love the "wide" look but my personal taste is tucked. Exactly what these tires deliver on OEM Rubicon Rims.

Barely put any miles on these so can only say these Nitto are heavy and can feel it the difference from the OEM 33s. I am very happy with appearance... Time will tell if I made the right decision re: performance but pleased with the decision thus far.

tempImageI74JG5.png

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Want to thank everyone for their input. Ended up going with 35x11.5R17 Trail Grapplers. Will say, I am very glad I went with the 11.5 wide option. Some people love the "wide" look but my personal taste is tucked. Exactly what these tires deliver on OEM Rubicon Rims.

Barely put any miles on these so can only say these Nitto are heavy and can feel it the difference from the OEM 33s. I am very happy with appearance... Time will tell if I made the right decision re: performance but pleased with the decision thus far.

Jeep Wrangler JL Heart Says Nitto Trail Grapplers s But Brain Says Toyo A/TIIIs tempImageI74JG5

Thank you for reporting back with pics. It will help others in the future. Your Jeep looks great.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you for reporting back with pics. It will help others in the future. Your Jeep looks great.
Agree, and nice tire size too, should cut well in the mud and snow.