Headlight scratch

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
anyone ever get a scratch on their headlight? I just got my hood wrapped in paint protection film and as I was inspecting it I noticed a 3 inch scratch in the headlight. The kid who was with me claimed he hadn’t noticed it and it was probabaly there when I dropped it off even though me and another girl who worked there did a walk around to inspect for any damages before I dropped the car off and didn’t notice it. I noticed the scratch fairly quickly when I saw the car today. The kid claimed that the scratch was probably already there and that the shop offered sanding services for somtbing like this scatch.

When I dropped off the car I had just hit 715 miles, when I picked the car up it had 716 miles and 5 light poles after pulling out I hit 717. I also had an average of 16.6mpg when I dropped it off and got it back with 16.1mpg. Did they drive my car or did idle drop the mpg?
Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I wouldn’t be too concerned about the mileage. It wouldn’t be unreasonable for the installers to drive the Jeep out of the shop, especially if they want to investigate the wrap in natural light. It’s sometimes easier to spot air bubbles in sunlight so this could just be them being thorough.

I’d be much more concerned about the scratch. But as long as they fix it to your satisfaction, I don’t see anything nafarious going on here.

OP
OP
eugene

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I wouldn’t be too concerned about the mileage. It wouldn’t be unreasonable for the installers to drive the Jeep out of the shop, especially if they want to investigate the wrap in natural light. It’s sometimes easier to spot air bubbles in sunlight so this could just be them being thorough.

I’d be much more concerned about the scratch. But as long as they fix it to your satisfaction, I don’t see anything nafarious going on here.
I am concerned about the mileage because the scatch could have occurred while they drove it. I wouldn’t care if I had done it but I know it wasn’t there when I dropped it off. Gonna call them tmrw. Hoping they fix it.

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's much more likely, IMO: that the scratch occurred while installing the protection film. They probably weren't aware that it happened. I find that more likely, than while driving it. Unless there is some other damage, just a headlight scratch seems unlikely.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I would let them fix it, while you wait. If they dont fix it lrolerly, then have them order another headlight for you, and install it yourself. I wouldnt trust them.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
anyone ever get a scratch on their headlight? I just got my hood wrapped in paint protection film and as I was inspecting it I noticed a 3 inch scratch in the headlight. The kid who was with me claimed he hadn’t noticed it and it was probabaly there when I dropped it off even though me and another girl who worked there did a walk around to inspect for any damages before I dropped the car off and didn’t notice it. I noticed the scratch fairly quickly when I saw the car today. The kid claimed that the scratch was probably already there and that the shop offered sanding services for somtbing like this scatch.

When I dropped off the car I had just hit 715 miles, when I picked the car up it had 716 miles and 5 light poles after pulling out I hit 717. I also had an average of 16.6mpg when I dropped it off and got it back with 16.1mpg. Did they drive my car or did idle drop the mpg?
Are the lenses plastic? I would not let anyone sand the lenses. They will turn yellow and haze up. Modern plastic lenses have a clear UV protective coating to prevent yellowing. That is why all the compounding and sanding kits for hazed headlights eventually return back to the haze after buffing. The sanding and buffing actually removes the protective UV coating.

OP
OP
eugene

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
It's much more likely, IMO: that the scratch occurred while installing the protection film. They probably weren't aware that it happened. I find that more likely, than while driving it. Unless there is some other damage, just a headlight scratch seems unlikely.
I agree. I legit spotted it in about 3 min of inspecting the front. They had it parked inside and I couldn’t see it when I paid....scummy

OP
OP
eugene

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Are the lenses plastic? I would not let anyone sand the lenses. They will turn yellow and haze up. Modern plastic lenses have a clear UV protective coating to prevent yellowing. That is why all the compounding and sanding kits for hazed headlights eventually return back to the haze after buffing. The sanding and buffing actually removes the protective UV coating.
Yeah I figure that sanding it is just gonna do exactly that. Ugh

OP
OP
eugene

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Listened to a voicemail and he claims he noticed the scratch when he was installing the film, but they forgot to tell me. Absolut Bull shit. I’ll post a picture of the scratch tmrw.

OP
OP
eugene

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
The Jeep had also NEVER been driven on the highway. Fastest I’d had gone in it before dropping it off was 50mph
Sponsored