Sponsored

Headlight high-beam splice point

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Has anyone here tapped into the high-beam wire to run a relay for aftermarket lights? I’m looking to splice in that line to the BD harness for a couple LP9s so they only turn on when the oem high beams are activated. The wiring diagrams on here show the colors for the correct wires but I’m wondering if anyone found a good splice location so I don’t have to trial and error my way into a potentially expensive problem. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Interested too. I've looked at the diagrams and understand it needs to be tapped between the BCM and the headlights, not the high beam switch and the BCM. But haven't found a good location yet.

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interested too. I've looked at the diagrams and understand it needs to be tapped between the BCM and the headlights, not the high beam switch and the BCM. But haven't found a good location yet.
Yea Baja designs reached out to me and recommended finding the correct wire at the level of the headlight and working backward to find a splice point prior to the next connection upstream.

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea that aligns with the color mentioned on the headlight wiring diagram, though my guess is folks will often use the white/gray wire powering the right side high beam as it may track more conveniently for their aftermarket wiring harness.

5896561B-C4DB-482D-9882-640CD50A38F8.jpeg

F405596B-09D5-412D-8610-0AF05E9A392F.jpeg

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Here's the spot I tapped into. I went with the White/Green on the driver's side. I chose this spot because it is directly under the power module for my Voswitch switch pod system. Look for the bright blue Posi-Tap in the middle of the picture:

IMG_0434.jpg

Cut the loom, tapped the wire, sealed up the tap for good measure, and then re-taped the loom with some fabric loom tape. Of course the wire I needed was buried at the very bottom of the bundle:

IMG_0436.jpg

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's the spot I tapped into. I went with the White/Green on the driver's side. I chose this spot because it is directly under the power module for my Voswitch switch pod system. Look for the bright blue Posi-Tap in the middle of the picture:

IMG_0434.jpg

Cut the loom, tapped the wire, sealed up the tap for good measure, and then re-taped the loom with some fabric loom tape. Of course the wire I needed was buried at the very bottom of the bundle:

IMG_0436.jpg
Did you notice if the white-gray wire for the right high beam is in the same bundle or is it running in a separate bundle down the passenger side?

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
That Posi-Tap fitting looks pretty slick!

I'm planning to do exactly what the OP has done, run an auxiliary light off of a relay off of high beams. Had all the parts lined up, including the old crimp tap. Like this one better, now I have to buy some...

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Did you notice if the white-gray wire for the right high beam is in the same bundle or is it running in a separate bundle down the passenger side?
I wasn’t looking for it, but I’m 99% certain it will not be in this bundle. Should be running down the passenger side. Right side was my initial plan, but that bundle gets thick really quick and it runs through a bunch of plastic enclosures along the way. Not the easiest place to go exploring, but still possible if you’re really set on it.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I'm planning to do exactly what the OP has done, run an auxiliary light off of a relay off of high beams. Had all the parts lined up, including the old crimp tap. Like this one better, now I have to buy some...
Did the same. This tap acts as a cutout for my (future) OnX6+ bumper mounted light bar.

upload_2020-4-6_23-49-56.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wasn’t looking for it, but I’m 99% certain it will not be in this bundle. Should be running down the passenger side. Right side was my initial plan, but that bundle gets thick really quick and it runs through a bunch of plastic enclosures along the way. Not the easiest place to go exploring, but still possible if you’re really set on it.
Yea it looked pretty tight on the passenger side while I was poking around with the AUX hookups. Right now I have the harness switch running without the OEM high beam splice but I’m thinking I’ll replicate your approach this weekend. Just have to decide where I want to route the wire back to the passenger side where the rest of the BD harness sits. Thanks for your insight.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
This is a useful thread!
Yes, the white/Gray runs down the passenger side. Wasn't too difficult to find and get to. Here are a couple pictures.
I was successful in using a posi-tap. Those are nice and another good suggestion from this thread.

1.jpg

2.jpg

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
This is a useful thread!
Yes, the white/Gray runs down the passenger side. Wasn't too difficult to find and get to. Here are a couple pictures.
I was successful in using a posi-tap. Those are nice and another good suggestion from this thread.

Jeep Wrangler JL Headlight high-beam splice point 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Headlight high-beam splice point 2
Awesome, good find! Now this thread works regardless of which side you're looking to tap. And yeah, gotta love the Posi-Taps. I wouldn't even consider using the old Scotchlok vampire biters anymore. Too easy to chop the wire strands and no guarantee of a positive connection.

jeepinoutwest

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport, 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere
Thanks to all the replies, you guys saved me a bunch of time!!!

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Can confirm the white with gray stripe on passenger side is still correct on 22's. Just wired up some driving lights to come on with high beams on my new XR.
Sponsored