Sponsored

Heading to Moab Wednesday and Jeep will not crank!! Need Input!

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
After reading much of this thread, today's Jls seem very foreign to me. Through the years I've had to do a lot of trail fixes; all required due to something I did; batteries were never a concern ....too many other possibilities....scary. The only three Moab trails I hadn't done in the XJ were Pritchett, Upper Helldorado and Rusty Nail. Have fun, Mike, and stay safe. I heard that some Portlanders are protesting at Eddy McStiffs ......probably just hearsay.;)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yes the fridge is wired to the main battery and has been for almost a year and I have left if on in low power shutoff a few times which has run the battery down until the Jeep will not crank. The Jeep is not acting like it is low battery. It is acting as if the main 12v battery is not connected even though it is.
I just feel like this point needs to be made, the main battery does not supply power to the starter.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I just feel like this point needs to be made, the main battery does not supply power to the starter.
The main battery does supply power to the starter, that's why the starter cable attaches directly to the main battery.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Glad you fixed the issue! Hope you have a blast in MOAB! I have learned a ton from this thread! I researched and found the following video on YouTube, sharing for others who want to learn the procedure on how to replace the AUX battery:

Now my question is, can this battery be replaced with something more expensive and more... bulletproof?? Something that would last for 10 years?? Or are there no options for those small batteries??

Eddie in the video uses a brand new AGM battery and his is a 2018 so the battery has failed in 2 years.. I want something that would last for 5, 7 or 10 years that way i dont have to think about it...

Any ideas??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sprint7

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
Glad you fixed the issue! Hope you have a blast in MOAB! I have learned a ton from this thread! I researched and found the following video on YouTube, sharing for others who want to learn the procedure on how to replace the AUX battery:

Now my question is, can this battery be replaced with something more expensive and more... bulletproof?? Something that would last for 10 years?? Or are there no options for those small batteries??

Eddie in the video uses a brand new AGM battery and his is a 2018 so the battery has failed in 2 years.. I want something that would last for 5, 7 or 10 years that way i dont have to think about it...

Any ideas??

That is the video that i watched before I changed the battery. It is a good overview of the job but I strongly recommend one change. Around the 7:00 mark in his video he only removed the (4) 7mm bolts in the fuse panel and pulled it up at an angle due to the N1-N8 lugs still connected. I would spend the extra few minutes removing the leads from the N1-N8 lugs so you can then remove the panel straight up and down and not at an angle. Reassembling at this angle caused me to bend one of the connectors leading to me chasing my tail for 12 hours. Hope that makes since

Overall it is a pretty easy straightforward job and i would not be scared of changing the batteries. Stupid design, but pretty straightforward.
Sponsored