Headed West again in May

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Leaving Florida and headed west, 3-23 May. Will aim for Sedona on the 6/7, Moab 8-18, while in Moab we will Hit a few trails to include Steel Bender and Cliff Hanger then take a side trip into Colorado and do Ophir and Engineer passes. We will leave Utah on the 19th and head home. We have been out there many times and this time we will be staying at the Moab Valley RV Resort. Anyone else planning to be out that way while we are there and want to hit a trail together just let me know.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Leaving Florida and headed west, 3-23 May. Will aim for Sedona on the 6/7, Moab 8-18, while in Moab we will Hit a few trails to include Steel Bender and Cliff Hanger then take a side trip into Colorado and do Ophir and Engineer passes. We will leave Utah on the 19th and head home. We have been out there many times and this time we will be staying at the Moab Valley RV Resort. Anyone else planning to be out that way while we are there and want to hit a trail together just let me know.
You plan on running mountain passes in Colorado in May? You might want to check before you head to Colorado, many of the passes are not opened until mid to late June or even into July.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
You plan on running mountain passes in Colorado in May? You might want to check before you head to Colorado, many of the passes are not opened until mid to late June or even into July.
Yes. We were not able to do Black Bear Pass until June.

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I'd like to do a couple colorado passes in may, I understand that the colorado mountain passes are subject to weather permitting conditions so the side trip from Moab would be worth it if they are open. It's not really that far. The BOH app says engineer pass is open May-June and Ophir pass is open year round, like I said weather permitting so colorado trails will be an option in may. I will have to play that on the fly.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I dont know your full itinerary but moab will be Good that time of year. As others have said, you may wish to reconsider your Colorado plans. I am told that the The San Juanā€™s are getting a lot of snow this season. I doubt that the passes that you named above will be open in May.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont know your full itinerary but moab will be Good that time of year. As others have said, you may wish to reconsider your Colorado plans. I am told that the The San Juanā€™s are getting a lot of snow this season. I doubt that the passes that you named above will be open in May.
Plans are always subject to change and we are still 3 months away. I don't have a crystal ball but I do have a phone number to call for local colorado trail openings and conditions so it not like I'm just driving there blind. I never count out any possibility. Thanks for everyone's concerns but we will just have to see when the time comes.
Oh, one more thing......

if You want a nice scenic trail that is very simple but amazingly lovely, check out Chicken Corners in Moab....

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ils-for-pussesā€-ā€”-list-them-here.56846/page-3
We have been going to moab twice a year for the past 4 years and found all the trails awesome. Thx

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
last year the san juans were dry to begin w. I was out in american basin in may and june camping/fishing.

This year may be different.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Plans are always subject to change and we are still 3 months away. I don't have a crystal ball but I do have a phone number to call for local colorado trail openings and conditions so it not like I'm just driving there blind. I never count out any possibility. Thanks for everyone's concerns but we will just have to see when the time comes.

We have been going to moab twice a year for the past 4 years and found all the trails awesome. Thx
Awesome! Have fun!

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
For Colorado, I'd join the san juan mountain trial group on facebook. They'll post what trails start to open or the condition of them. BUT I can almost bet most of the passes will still be snowed in so my suggestion would be to head along 70 and do trails closer to Denver. spring creek is a good fun option, Holy cross might be good to go at that point, red cone probably wont open until around the same time as the san juan passes but spring and holy will help get your fill. They're a bit more aggressive than the san juan passes (id put them on more of a moab crawl scale) but still a fun side option.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Bro.... I am checking scheduling to see if I can hang out again this year.... I am sure we can make do with whatever.... can always "adjust fire"
Sponsored