Head gasket leak at 8000 miles.

JudgeTread

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Took my new 2021 Wrangler JL Sport S to the dealer I purchased it from 5 months ago after noticing a small oil leak underneath the vehicle. The dealer ran a dye test, and pinpointed it to a small head gasket leak. The recommended course of action was to re-torque the cylinder head bolts and see if that “fixes” the problem. Anyone else having a similar issue? The fact that the head gasket is leaking on a brand new engine is absolutely ridiculous and concerning. I had thought the 3.6 Pentastar was reliable and solid. Any thoughts on anything else I should be checking or how this might affect the longevity of the engine?
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Always believed that once a seal is compromised - it’s a replacement for sure. But maybe give it a try and see what happens. If it doesn’t work you’ll know within a couple weeks and then just take it back.

Deleted member 53226

I agree with the Sock Monkey.

Also, after the dealer re-torques the head, the gasket might stop leaking externally, but still not seal properly. Since one job of the head gasket is to keep your oil and coolant separated inside the head, keep an eye on the color of your oil and coolant. If the gasket is not sealing internally, you will see the oil on the dipstick will be a bit milky, and maybe more immediately noticeable your coolant (in the radiator not the overflow bottle) will start to turn a brownish color.

I wouldn't blame the Pentastar itself for the issue. This is a case of the factory not applying the gasket properly or not torquing the head properly from the start. Probably the kid who used to be in charge of seating the fuses got promoted to the head gasket department.

Last edited by a moderator:

BillWorkbench

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-door Sport S (Stock)
Occupation
IT person
My thought is that you need a clean area for a seal to work. If it’s leaking then it is not clean and re-torquing will not work. The oil will find it way out again around the dirt. I learned that working on my old ‘67 Austin Healey Sprite.

We need to remember that the dealerships are at the mercy of Jeep to pay them to fix the problem. If they fix it differently, they don’t get paid.

OP
OP
JudgeTread

JudgeTread

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My thought is that you need a clean area for a seal to work. If it’s leaking then it is not clean and re-torquing will not work. The oil will find it way out again around the dirt. I learned that working on my old ‘67 Austin Healey Sprite.

We need to remember that the dealerships are at the mercy of Jeep to pay them to fix the problem. If they fix it differently, they don’t get paid.

Thanks for the input. I spoke with my trusted family mechanic about this situation this morning. He’s been repairing just about anything on 4 wheels you can think of for the past 36 years. His thoughts were this.

1. You can’t re-torque those bolts and accomplish what they’re trying. They would need to be replaced entirely.

2. exactly what you said. The seal is compromised and will fail again sooner or later. It’s best just to replace it and be done.

Im waiting to hear back from the dealership this morning. On top of that issue I had a bad drivers side seatbelt that they needed to replace. Hopefully the joys of owning a Jeep get better moving forward.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I was taught to take issues with the head gasket seriously. Have you noticed any loss of power or overheating?

I don't know if that would happen in this case, but I have seen engires run hot when there is an issue with the gasket.

OP
OP
JudgeTread

JudgeTread

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was taught to take issues with the head gasket seriously. Have you noticed any loss of power or overheating?
None that I have notice. To be fair, it’s an incredibly slow leak. Oil level hadn’t changed noticeably and there was no pooling underneath the car. Only noticed it because I was underneath my Jeep. I believe they dealership confirmed it was an external leak, but not sure how if the never took anything apart. I’ll have to verify when I talk to them today.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
My .02 ... for however the dealer handles this, keep this in mind...

The oil pump is 2 stage, 30psi at low rpms and 60psi at higher rpms. It may only leak at the 60psi rpms.

This smells of the dealer putting on a show by "re-torquing" bolts in 30 minutes (a.k.a. pressure washing the engine in the back), and then run the engine at idle or around the block to show "hey, no leaks!". I'd be very skeptical of this.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Hopefully the joys of owning a Jeep get better moving forward.
Jeeps are a good product but FCA has significant quality control issues.

Make use of the warranty. Get all of the quality control issues out of the way during that period. It is incovenient and annoying but it shouldn't cost you anything. You should be fine after that.

I see a lot of old Jeeps on the road and the owners tell me that they don't have any issues with them. There is a reason why second hand Jeeps hold their resale value.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Warranty will fix it, no big deal.

But I have been noticing a whole lot more engine problems from the V6 which is quoted on this forum to be “tried and true”, “bullet proof”, etc.
The diesel isn’t without its issues too.
Seems like the 2.0 turbo is doing much better in the JLs.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Just following up on this thread. How did things turn out?

OP
OP
JudgeTread

JudgeTread

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just following up on this thread. How did things turn out?
After 2 failed attempts to repair at the dealership that I purchased the vehicle from I took it elsewhere. On a side note, the first dealership also made sure to add 7 quarts of oil to an engine designed to hold 5.8? On its first oil change. So I had zero confidence left in them. Now 3 repair attempts later it was determined that the cylinder head cover itself was the cause of the leak. It was replaced as well as the head gasket. It’s been two weeks since the last repair and so far, I haven’t noticed any more oil leaks. It’s also worth noting that it was an EXTREMELY slow leak. I never would have noticed it if I hadn’t been underneath my Jeep.

lucky I’ve been documenting everything, and already sent a certified letter to FCA basically stating the issues I’ve been having to this point and unless resolved I’d be pursuing this as a lemon law case under my states laws. FCA has reached out to me but I can’t go into details on their response since it’s potentially pending legal action. But so far FCA has been great to deal with.
Sponsored