Head gasket leak at 8000 miles.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Cool... Good to see that FCA is standing behind its product and working with you on this.

With vehicles, slow leaks become big leaks over time. Ask me how I know.

The cylinder head cover? Was the surface uneven allowing oil to leak out?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JudgeTread

JudgeTread

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Cool... Good to see that FCA is standing behind its product and working with you on this.

With vehicles, slow leaks become big leaks over time. Ask me how I know.

The cylinder head cover? Was the surface uneven allowing oil to leak out?
I never got a satisfactory answer to this. The leak was near the cylinder head bolt to the driver’s side rear if that makes sense. They were only able to figure out exactly where after adding dye. So they saw it was leaking from up high, and right around where the head gasket is at that DS back corner. But they didn’t know why because as slow as the leak was. Or that was at least the best explanation I could get. I’m still not entirely convinced it won’t manifest itself again down the road. Thus the ongoing involvement with FCA.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I understand. Keep us posted. This is an interesting case.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Many States have a 3 attempt to repair requirment for Lemon Law Demand. I would check with your AG about your Lemon Law Rights. And don't let them try giving you a free extended warranty. Push for a like MSRP to MSRP replacement under Lemon Law if you can. Good luck with this.

OP
OP
JudgeTread

JudgeTread

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many States have a 3 attempt to repair requirment for Lemon Law Demand. I would check with your AG about your Lemon Law Rights. And don't let them try giving you a free extended warranty. Push for a like MSRP to MSRP replacement under Lemon Law if you can. Good luck with this.

Unfortunately it’s 4 attempts within 2 years 18k miles in my state. Or 30 days total of the vehicle being in the shop. But its definitely important going into these situations knowing what legal rights you have and documenting everything. Dates/times/names etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That’s a valve cover leak and anyone who tried to lemon law a valve cover leak is just wasting their own time.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I never got a satisfactory answer to this. The leak was near the cylinder head bolt to the driver’s side rear if that makes sense. They were only able to figure out exactly where after adding dye. So they saw it was leaking from up high, and right around where the head gasket is at that DS back corner. But they didn’t know why because as slow as the leak was. Or that was at least the best explanation I could get. I’m still not entirely convinced it won’t manifest itself again down the road. Thus the ongoing involvement with FCA.
Documenting everything is smart. It could have been anything in the assembly process that caused the small leak. Hopefully you had a tech with good eyes clean it up and put it back together.
I was going to say you should buy some ARP head studs to give the dealer for when they do the gasket. Reusable and superior to stretch bolts, or whatever oem is in there.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
After 2 failed attempts to repair at the dealership that I purchased the vehicle from I took it elsewhere. On a side note, the first dealership also made sure to add 7 quarts of oil to an engine designed to hold 5.8? On its first oil change. So I had zero confidence left in them. Now 3 repair attempts later it was determined that the cylinder head cover itself was the cause of the leak. It was replaced as well as the head gasket. It’s been two weeks since the last repair and so far, I haven’t noticed any more oil leaks. It’s also worth noting that it was an EXTREMELY slow leak. I never would have noticed it if I hadn’t been underneath my Jeep.

lucky I’ve been documenting everything, and already sent a certified letter to FCA basically stating the issues I’ve been having to this point and unless resolved I’d be pursuing this as a lemon law case under my states laws. FCA has reached out to me but I can’t go into details on their response since it’s potentially pending legal action. But so far FCA has been great to deal with.
Glad to hear things are looking up, hopefully that leak is a thing of the past, and FWIW the current 3.6 is a 5qt fill, so if they indeed put 7 qts in that's quite a bit vs. all the dealers that were only giving a 1 qt overfill "gift" :(

Jsmeltz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My 2021 Sahara with a 2.0 4 cly turbo has a head gasket oil leak. Still waiting on what they plan to do. 17K miles...

OP
OP
JudgeTread

JudgeTread

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2021 Sahara with a 2.0 4 cly turbo has a head gasket oil leak. Still waiting on what they plan to do. 17K miles...

Hopefully it’s just the head gasket. My issue was finally fixed. If I recall, it was believed to be a hairline fracture in the cylinder head? They were never able to visualize diagnosis it. Anyway, they ended up replacing the gaskets, cylinder head cover and whatever else and it’s been fine since. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Hopefully it’s just the head gasket. My issue was finally fixed. If I recall, it was believed to be a hairline fracture in the cylinder head? They were never able to visualize diagnosis it. Anyway, they ended up replacing the gaskets, cylinder head cover and whatever else and it’s been fine since. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.
Again, valve cover.

Omarius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
I think people are confusing a valve cover leak with a head gasket leak. Head gasket leaks result in overheating, coolant slowly disappearing, maybe even oil getting into the coolant. I've never seen a head gasket leak oil...if it was leaking oil, you would likely be very close to grenading the engine. Valve cover leaks are the ones that slowly leak oil...and it is usually a trivial repair.

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
My friends 3.6 without e torque has just started its valve cover tiny leak, he's taking it into the dealer soon! Same spot as yours, 25,xxx kms.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
@JudgeTread I wouldn't be too concerned. I'd be willing to bet you that the service rep told you head gasket, but it was actually the valve cover (head cover) gasket. VERY different in severity. Valve cover leaks are no big deal. You don't normally get oil leaks from head gaskets. Not without a slew of other issues anyway LOL. Enjoy your Jeep!

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
My Neighbor had this same issue on her GC PUG 3.6. They had to replace the head gasket.
Sponsored