Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Hey all,

Just wondering what everyone uses for a HD spare carrier with larger, heavier tires/wheels? Every time I close the door it seems as though my plastic carrier is going to explode with 35’s. I’m considering the Teraflex HD Adjustable carrier (I don’t really like how much it exposes the interior pressure vents though).

Along the same lines…I have an aggressive wheel offset, so am wondering if anyone knows of a tire bumper extension of some sort or how they fabbed up something so that it rests against the tire? I’m Googled out and fresh out of ideas.
Jeep Wrangler JL HD Tire Carrier and Spare Tire Bumpers Question 5E968819-CE2E-40E6-A145-9FE63E6D53D9

Thanks, yo!

EDIT: I found the following thread regarding the bump stop and will try the “pvc pipe” method. 😉

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tailgate-bumpstops.5667/#post-118169
Sponsored

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I used to have a Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It adjusted just fine for my 17x9 wheels with -12mm offset and 4.53" backspace wrapped in 38x13.5's. For 35's, that's a great carrier for increased strength and the adjustability to keep the inner sidewall firmly pressed into the factory tailgate bumpers. Extending the factory bumpers is a bandaid fix that won't provide firm enough support and it doesn't fix the cantilever effect of having the spare pushed further away from the tailgate. A given weight is amplified when cantilevered, which increases its negative affect on the tailgate.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I used to have a Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It adjusted just fine for my 17x9 wheels with -12mm offset and 4.53" backspace wrapped in 38x13.5's. For 35's, that's a great carrier for increased strength and the adjustability to keep the inner sidewall firmly pressed into the factory tailgate bumpers. Extending the factory bumpers is a bandaid fix that won't provide firm enough support and it doesn't fix the cantilever effect of having the spare pushed further away from the tailgate. A given weight is amplified when cantilevered, which increases its negative affect on the tailgate.
Great, thanks for the info!

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
I have the Teraflex Alpha HD Carrier along with the Teraflex Hinged tailgate reinforcement. It is well built and sturdy. The carrier is highly adjustable. In addition to raising to handle larger tires, up to 40s depending on your bumper, it also moves in and out to handle wheels of varying backspacing. I run 315x70R17s on 17x9 with -12 offset (same as mike). My spare runs snug against the frame of the tailgate reinforcement.

There should be enough range of movement (in and out) with the Alpha HD to get your tire much closer to the spacer if not touching it. I would also recommend the hinged tailgate reinforcement. I know the JL tailgate and hinges are supposed to be much improved over the JK, but I still think they feel a little flimsy with stock Rubicon 33s.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Rusty’s.

Sponsored

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just mounted the Teraflex Alpha HD Hinged Spare Tire Carrier & Adjustable Spare Tire Mount Kit when I went to 37s, I was running the Mopar tailgate reinforcement with the standard mount with 315/70/17, much happier now, the Teraflex is a much stronger solution and much better than the bumper mount option would have been
teraflex carrier.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Great! Thanks everyone! I ordered up the Teraflex HD carrier and should be here on Wednesday. Along with some other goodies. Down the rabbit hole I go! :rock:

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I just mounted the Teraflex Alpha HD Hinged Spare Tire Carrier & Adjustable Spare Tire Mount Kit when I went to 37s, I was running the Mopar tailgate reinforcement with the standard mount with 315/70/17, much happier now, the Teraflex is a much stronger solution and much better than the bumper mount opti
Jeep Wrangler JL HD Tire Carrier and Spare Tire Bumpers Question teraflex carrier
Jeep Wrangler JL HD Tire Carrier and Spare Tire Bumpers Question teraflex carrier
on would have been
Lookin’ good! What’s the strap around the tire holding?