Having my Jeep serviced at a Toyota dealership

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
My Jeep only has about 2k miles on it, I purchased it in August 2020 so I want to get the oil changed and have the alignment done since I put on new wheels and tires.

Am I out of my mind to take it to my local Toyota dealer for this?

I have 2014 4Runner Limited that's had every service, recall etc done at the same dealership I purchased it new. I have a great relationship with my service advisor, he knows how picky I am (even have his private cell #) and they've always done me right. I can't say the same for other Toyota dealerships (or any others for that matter) that I've dealt with in the past.

Last time I was there I saw a JLU in line for service, asked my service advisor about it because I've only ever seen other Toyota's in for service. He suggested I bring my Jeep to them when I need service. I pretty much blew him off because I thought that it'd be silly to bring it there vs a Jeep dealership.

Well since then I've looked at reviews for local Jeep dealerships (Im in Fort Lauderdale, so I have several to choose from) service depts and none of them are good. Add that to all the stories Ive read on this forum and others with poor service from Jeep service depts and Im seriously thinking I will bring it to Toyota for regular service. (Oil, tire rotation, wheel alignments etc)

I also checked reviews for the Toyota dealership service dept I use, and has mostly good reviews. Way better than any of the Jeep dealerships.

So as I asked before - Am I out of my mind to take my JLU to my local Toyota dealer?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JayCeeX2

Remember, you asked.....

The answer to your question is YES..

For that stuff, why go to any stealership, Jeep or otherwise...

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Sponsored

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I too say go for it If you prefer not to do your own work. Now if warranty items come up, I'm not sure how you'll deal with that, but if the jeep service around you get bad marks and you seem particular about the service you receive, go to the place that will make you happy.

OP
OP
JayCeeX2

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JayCeeX2

Remember, you asked.....

The answer to your question is YES..

For that stuff, why go to any stealership, Jeep or otherwise...
Yes I did, and that's ok. :) I know many of you are probably excellent garage mechanics but I'm not so for oil changes and alignment I prefer to take it some where. For the last 25 years Ive always been fortunate enough to own new vehicles and always serviced by the manufactures dealership.

OP
OP
JayCeeX2

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have a good run of experiences with this toyota dealership, Iā€™d vote go ahead. Bonus points for finding out if the owner also has a jeep dealership your preferred manager can get parts from.
Yes, 6 years of satisfaction. 6 years with the same service advisor. AutoNation owns the Toyota dealership, my service advisors sister is the warranty administrator at a nearby Jeep dealership, also AutoNation. So my service advisor has a direct in for anything Jeep. I wanted to take my Jeep there to be serviced but man the reviews...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yes I did, and that's ok. :) I know many of you are probably excellent garage mechanics but I'm not so for oil changes and alignment I prefer to take it some where. For the last 25 years Ive always been fortunate enough to own new vehicles and always serviced by the manufactures dealership.
@JayCeeX2

I hear you.... I hear you saying you do not want to do yourself..... BUT, as a Florida resident (I have a place there too) , you know there are literally a zillion little Mom&Pop shops that can do your extremely simple to do, oil change... do it well, do it right, personalized service and more and for way way way way less $ then a stealership will charge you.

As for your alignment.... you probably don't even need an alignment. Find a small Mom&Pop shop that deals lots with Jeeps (there are many in Florida) and let them eval whether you actually need an alignment..

As for your warranty work... you really have no other choice... go to a Jeep dealer.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
IF your going to pay a dealer to do basic maintenance then use a Jeep dealer. Why? Because it will get you in good with them when it comes time to do warranty work, OR have that "issue" that probably wouldn't be covered under warranty. Your ToyCar dealer don't give a rats ass about your rig.

Sponsored

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
New wheels and tires on a 2,000 mile old vehicle should not require an alignment. Iā€™m sure they will take your money, but in my opinion, it is a waste. There are only two adjustments on a wrangler that is stock - toe in and steering wheel centering.
I know that my 4xe comes with free oil changes. Not sure why you would pay someone else if you could get it for free unless you there is some major inconvenience factor by using the Jeep dealer.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep only has about 2k miles on it, I purchased it in August 2020 so I want to get the oil changed and have the alignment done since I put on new wheels and tires.

Am I out of my mind to take it to my local Toyota dealer for this?

I have 2014 4Runner Limited that's had every service, recall etc done at the same dealership I purchased it new. I have a great relationship with my service advisor, he knows how picky I am (even have his private cell #) and they've always done me right. I can't say the same for other Toyota dealerships (or any others for that matter) that I've dealt with in the past.

Last time I was there I saw a JLU in line for service, asked my service advisor about it because I've only ever seen other Toyota's in for service. He suggested I bring my Jeep to them when I need service. I pretty much blew him off because I thought that it'd be silly to bring it there vs a Jeep dealership.

Well since then I've looked at reviews for local Jeep dealerships (Im in Fort Lauderdale, so I have several to choose from) service depts and none of them are good. Add that to all the stories Ive read on this forum and others with poor service from Jeep service depts and Im seriously thinking I will bring it to Toyota for regular service. (Oil, tire rotation, wheel alignments etc)

I also checked reviews for the Toyota dealership service dept I use, and has mostly good reviews. Way better than any of the Jeep dealerships.

So as I asked before - Am I out of my mind to take my JLU to my local Toyota dealer?
Take it wherever youā€™re comfortable for oil change. Who knows maybe theyā€™ll know to use 5 quarts instead of 6......šŸ¤£....... also thereā€™s no need for an alignment if all you did was change tires.........šŸ˜‰

OP
OP
JayCeeX2

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01

There are lots of mom/pop type shops nearby, Im just not familiar with any of them. With the exception of one, Mr Wheels. And one of the things they specialize in is anything aftermarket for Jeeps (and 4Runners) but they are just so busy I'd have to drop it off and probably not get it back till next day or day after that.

@RedundanT

Your ToyCar dealer don't give a rats ass about your rig.
Well IMO, no one is going to care for any of my vehicles as much as I do. Ive built some trust with my Toyota service advisor that I don't have with any other shop at this time.

@2manyhobbies

No free oil changes for me that Im aware of. I did purchase my 2020 JLU used, albeit only had 200 miles on it when I bought it. Previous owner had it for a week, traded it in because didn't like the process for removing the softop. First sale on Aug 18, second sale August 29th.

@Roky

New tires, wheels and steering stabilizer. Have no idea if that matters, Ive just always got new alignment with new wheels and tires, no matter how new.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01

There are lots of mom/pop type shops nearby, Im just not familiar with any of them. With the exception of one, Mr Wheels. And one of the things they specialize in is anything aftermarket for Jeeps (and 4Runners) but they are just so busy I'd have to drop it off and probably not get it back till next day or day after that.

@RedundanT

Well IMO, no one is going to care for any of my vehicles as much as I do. Ive built some trust with my Toyota service advisor that I don't have with any other shop at this time.

@2manyhobbies

No free oil changes for me that Im aware of. I did purchase my 2020 JLU used, albeit only had 200 miles on it when I bought it. Previous owner had it for a week, traded it in because didn't like the process for removing the softop. First sale on Aug 18, second sale August 29th.

@Roky

New tires, wheels and steering stabilizer. Have no idea if that matters, Ive just always got new alignment with new wheels and tires, no matter how new.
None of that affects alignment, but Iā€™m not telling you what to do, just a friendly heads up.......āœŒ

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If Iā€™m not taking my vehicle to an authorized dealership, I am skipping the dealer altogether.

There are plenty of qualified, honest independent garages everywhere.
Sponsored