Having my Jeep serviced at a Toyota dealership

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I can appreciate not wanting to have work done by a dealership, even if it means paying for things that may be covered under a free service/warranty. I mean, I wouldn’t do it, but I get it.

Is there not a good shop that specializes in 4x4s from all makes in your area? They may have experience over a Toyota-focused shop when it comes to Jeep.
Sponsored

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUS, 22 Ram, 14 Must GT, 94 Cobra
If there is a shop you like and trust, why not take it there?

One of the best dealer service experiences I ever had (many years ago) was a Chevy dealer fixing a failed wheel bearing in my Ford Explorer while I was traveling.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
If you already have an existing relationship with them, I don’t see why not. They’re more likely to put the correct amount of oil in there than a Jeep dealership who has been putting 6 quarts in Wranglers since the ‘80s... the Toyota techs will look it up due to their unfamiliarity with the jeep.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
you don't need an alignment with new wheels and tires and you should have first three oil changes free from Jeep.....save the money take it to Jeep start a new relationship with local Jeep service dept and see for yourself if the bad reviews are true.....it will go a long way if you ever need warranty work done

Sponsored

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
The only technical issue with going to a non-dealer is availability of the right parts. While that sounds silly, even something like the correct weight oil, or more importantly, the oil filter, may not be something your Toyota dealer can easily get their hands on. If you want to take them all the supplies they'd need for a given job, and they'll do it, the work itself isn't significantly different compared to what they are used to.

My bigger concern is warranty work. I learned to buy my FCA vehicles with a mopar extended warranty, and I don't want any question down the road. So even when I'm only driving my Wranglers a few thousand miles a year, I'll faithfully take it to the dealer for an oil change once a year, so there is no question that they have seen it, the service history is recorded, etc. It's actually a bonus that this is now showing up on carfax reports etc.

While it sucks to play the game, it is what it is. I can also say that while I do my best to frequent independent shops, and have a few I like, they make mistakes sometimes too and it can be much harder to have any recourse against them. I've even started buying OEM tires at dealers after the 3rd time an indy shop badly damaged a wheel. The difference with the dealer route is that you have SOME level of professional recourse against them when something goes wrong. It's gotten to the point where I do a walkaround of my own car just like I would a rental car, taking photos and videos before dropping off.

Long story short, if it is under warranty IMO you are better to roll the dice and deal with the dealerships if it is something you might later want documentation for, like oil change service history.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
At some point (hope it never comes) you may have a serious issue with your Jeep, requiring warranty service, which will have to be done at Jeep dealer.

Do you want to walk into that dealership with a serious issue having absolutely no relationship with that service department?

I make it a point to bring in my vehicles to the dealer for the simple stuff (free oil changes, tire rotations, etc), even though I have to spend time double checking their work, exactly to build that relationship. I also learn if they torque lug nuts correctly, if they properly feel the oil level, how cleanly and promptly they return the vehicle to me. That gives me a clue if I stick with them or try another dealer.

Point is, if I ever need warranty work, I'm "already on their system", "they already have my service records", I already know them. They already know me. That, I believe, increases the likelihood of a good experience or a larger warranty repair. By how much - who knows.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
My Jeep only has about 2k miles on it, I purchased it in August 2020 so I want to get the oil changed and have the alignment done since I put on new wheels and tires.

Am I out of my mind to take it to my local Toyota dealer for this?

I have 2014 4Runner Limited that's had every service, recall etc done at the same dealership I purchased it new. I have a great relationship with my service advisor, he knows how picky I am (even have his private cell #) and they've always done me right. I can't say the same for other Toyota dealerships (or any others for that matter) that I've dealt with in the past.

Last time I was there I saw a JLU in line for service, asked my service advisor about it because I've only ever seen other Toyota's in for service. He suggested I bring my Jeep to them when I need service. I pretty much blew him off because I thought that it'd be silly to bring it there vs a Jeep dealership.

Well since then I've looked at reviews for local Jeep dealerships (Im in Fort Lauderdale, so I have several to choose from) service depts and none of them are good. Add that to all the stories Ive read on this forum and others with poor service from Jeep service depts and Im seriously thinking I will bring it to Toyota for regular service. (Oil, tire rotation, wheel alignments etc)

I also checked reviews for the Toyota dealership service dept I use, and has mostly good reviews. Way better than any of the Jeep dealerships.

So as I asked before - Am I out of my mind to take my JLU to my local Toyota dealer?
Anybody can buy parts anywhere. It's the relationship that matters.
Sounds like your service adviser is responsible for his shop's profitability and knows the value of good customer relations. I'd stick to the Toyota guy like glue if he's that good.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
At some point (hope it never comes) you may have a serious issue with your Jeep, requiring warranty service, which will have to be done at Jeep dealer.

Do you want to walk into that dealership with a serious issue having absolutely no relationship with that service department?
After reading many posts like this over the years, I’ve finally concluded that this is a regional thing. While I absolutely agree with you in theory, my experience with service departments down here in South Florida is that they just don’t care. The manager of my local target probably cares as much about me as any of the service advisors I’ve used throughout the years.

But I thought maybe it was just me. So I actually went out of my way to befriend one of my service advisors. I explicitly promise him great reviews for even marginally acceptable service. I have his cell phone number. He knows my name. I text him. We laugh about things breaking under warranty.
Sadly, this has done nothing for me, except maybe he yells at the techs one extra time not to screw up my repairs. Incompetent service techs, parts that take days to weeks to arrive, being told "my car is ready" only to get there and find out they did 1 out of the 3 repairs, are waiting on parts for #2, and forgot #3 entirely. Inevitably almost every trip there has a return trip associated with it, and finally I just gave up on getting them to replace my steering box after 4 times politely asking. You know, "they all steer like that" "we'll need a tech to diagnose it again" etc.

I sold both my Ram and Jeep these last 6 months. I'm waiting to order another pair, but the dealership experience has been "one star" at best.

Last edited:

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I'll echo what everyone else has said.

- If you have a relationship and trust them from experience, it definitely won't HURT you
- If there's a Jeep dealership nearby, and it sounds like you have a tangental relationship, it would probably HELP you more to build the relationship with them for any future possible need.
- Oil changes are *stupid* easy to do yourself, without the hassle of having to go somewhere, wait in the queue, pay through the nose, etc. However, I also totally understand not wanting to do get under there. I do my own oil changes, thankyouverymuch, and don't let anyone touch my truck unless it's something I just legit can't do (or figure out how to do). However, my wife's car? IDGAF. She likes going to the dealership or a local shop for stuff like that, and I'm happy to let her.

So it won't hurt (but it probably also won't help) you in the long run, and while oil changes are probably one of the easiest (and most important, IMO) maintenance items you can do yourself, there are lots of valid reasons you may prefer to let the dealership do it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JayCeeX2

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
Thanks for all the responses and feedback.

@TXRubicon

I bought my Jeep at a Mercedes dealership. ;)

@flot

I agree with much of what you say, which is why I really only have a solid relationship with a Toyota dealership. I fully intended to take the Jeep to dealership for the same reasons, until I started reading reviews.

I thought about parts but my service advisor has a direct contact with nearby Jeep dealership. Both Toyota and Jeep/Dodge owned by Autonation.

@Yogi

This right here, I'm not very trusting. He's earned my trust.

I think I've learned at least two things so far from this thread. First I probably do not need an alignment so Im going to hold off on that. I went and looked at a 'how to' video to change the oil in the jeep, is it really this easy?

Didn't know the filter was that accessible, as long as I can squeeze my ass under the Jeep to get to the drain plug.

What oil and filter are most using? I see Pennzoil and Mopar filter used in the video.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
- Oil changes are *stupid* easy to do yourself, without the hassle of having to go somewhere, wait in the queue, pay through the nose, etc.
Things are so competitive these days, that I would not even know where there is an oil change place where you "pay through the nose".

I'm all for doing it yourself - mostly for the peace of mind of knowing it was done right. But for "free" dealer changes, it will cost less. And if you change your own oil, you still need to go somewhere to dump it out, so not really that much more convenient.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
My Jeep only has about 2k miles on it, I purchased it in August 2020 so I want to get the oil changed and have the alignment done since I put on new wheels and tires.

Am I out of my mind to take it to my local Toyota dealer for this?

I have 2014 4Runner Limited that's had every service, recall etc done at the same dealership I purchased it new. I have a great relationship with my service advisor, he knows how picky I am (even have his private cell #) and they've always done me right. I can't say the same for other Toyota dealerships (or any others for that matter) that I've dealt with in the past.

Last time I was there I saw a JLU in line for service, asked my service advisor about it because I've only ever seen other Toyota's in for service. He suggested I bring my Jeep to them when I need service. I pretty much blew him off because I thought that it'd be silly to bring it there vs a Jeep dealership.

Well since then I've looked at reviews for local Jeep dealerships (Im in Fort Lauderdale, so I have several to choose from) service depts and none of them are good. Add that to all the stories Ive read on this forum and others with poor service from Jeep service depts and Im seriously thinking I will bring it to Toyota for regular service. (Oil, tire rotation, wheel alignments etc)

I also checked reviews for the Toyota dealership service dept I use, and has mostly good reviews. Way better than any of the Jeep dealerships.

So as I asked before - Am I out of my mind to take my JLU to my local Toyota dealer?
Out of your mind...no. Lazy, maybe. These are so easy to service. Mopar spec Penzoil and an STP filter (never had a problem with them) at Autozone, you could probably be done in the time it takes to drive to any dealer. Save the receipt for warranty issues.
And if all you did was wheels and tires, your alignment didn't change.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Check your rear bumper on the way out in case they slap one of these on it ….

Jeep Wrangler JL Having my Jeep serviced at a Toyota dealership FBF1B611-8E44-4F0B-8A3F-03D22706C87B

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I know the Chevrolet dealership by me has a sign that says "we service any vehicles," which I am guessing is quick express service like oil changes and stuff. It makes sense to me, why wouldn't a Chevy dealership be able to change the oil in a Toyota?
Sponsored