Having 2nd thoughts on the Rock-Trac HD Full Time 4wd

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I still wish I would not have ordered it, but am leaning towards just accepting that I did. I like durability, and I feel like the transfer case especially will be weaker. Also not a fan of CV boots, not so much the CV itself.
OP: if this is what’s keeping you up at night, go talk to your dealer. See if they will allow you to “cancel” the order as follows:

1) you order a new one, on the spot with them. Spec’d this time EXACTLY how you now want it.
2) they just take your Existing order into their inventory. Assuming that you ordered something that is easy to sell, the dealership probably won’t care that much.

is this possible? Yes. How do I know?

my current Jeep was a custom order. But I didn’t order it. Someone else did. When it arrived, he had second thoughts and bought a Ram truck off the lot instead. Dealer just simply put the Jeep into inventory and I purchased it literally 3 days later..... the Jeep was never even listed on the dealer’s website.

go talk to your dealer. This is solvable.
Sponsored

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We have this on our Overland ( Sahara in USA) here in Australia . Love it ... no problems either!!

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Here’s another video explaining why you wouldn’t necessarily want CV boots when in the brush. Solid axle v. IFS, the 9:13 mark when he gives a stick demonstration and what it could do to a CV boot.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s another video explaining why you wouldn’t necessarily want CV boots when in the brush. Solid axle v. IFS, the 9:13 mark when he gives a stick demonstration and what it could do to a CV boot.
I had a small stick tear the hell out of a front CV boot on my old Polaris 800 EFI. A little stick. Never had any other issues, but that one was expensive to fix. Makes me gun shy about them now. And, that Polaris had protectors, too. It found its way through a small gap. In fairness, I ran an Arctic Cat 650 for a long time and my current Polaris Rzr 570 with no issues. But it did happen once. And that was enough to bug me every time I take the Rzr out.

Sponsored

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
The dealer just placed my Rubicon order 3 days ago. This seemed like a good feature so I ordered it. After sleeping on it 3 days, I'm starting to get uncomfortable with the idea of CV boots on the axles and clutches in the transfer case, so much so that I'm considering contacting the dealer to see if I can change the order. Interested in opinions on this system. I don't want to end up with something that is weaker and less desirable.
I think you'll like it since most Jeeps spend the majority of time on road. I have a JLUR which I wheel pretty hard and it probably would not be something I would add to that - I have enough of a mechanical bent to know how to use 4-Hi in bad weather, locked center notwithstanding. However, I am super psyched that they are offering it on all trim levels because my wife and I have been shopping for a second wrangler for family use, road trip use, her primary vehicle. With a Rubicon in the family, that Jeep would be unlikely to see anything beyond some sand dunes, or maybe a forrest road, and for a vehicle like that, the ability to switch it into full time AWD at Halloween and leave it there until Easter is awesome (in other words, Northeast weather). Bottom line: hard core off-roading beast driven by a mechanically-inclined driver - probably don't need or even want it. General purpose Jeep driven by someone who is not into cars and is not mechanically inclined - the set it and forget it nature would be awesome.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, the condescension...! ;)

There are also those of us who have owned Rubicons in the past and wheeled them hard, and after having gotten it out of our system, this time we chose to buy a Sahara with Selec-Trac in part because we want more comfort; in part because we don’t feel like bashing a $50,000 vehicle on the rocks any more...

SiNiSon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Our will spend 80% of the time on PNW roads.. so we went with it.. will be some off roading no hard core wheeling.. I would just be mindful to check the CV's after any trail runs.. or even see about fab'n up some simple stick guards from aluminum if I get bored :)

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
The dealer just placed my Rubicon order 3 days ago. This seemed like a good feature so I ordered it. After sleeping on it 3 days, I'm starting to get uncomfortable with the idea of CV boots on the axles and clutches in the transfer case, so much so that I'm considering contacting the dealer to see if I can change the order. Interested in opinions on this system. I don't want to end up with something that is weaker and less desirable.
I think 1st gut decision to order it is spot on. Sounds like good system, go for it!

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the 4a yesterday, this is my third wrangler build. First time I went Sahara and regretted not having the full trail assortment of goodies, but loved the vehicle, the 2nd time I got a rubicon and put ultra heavy e ply tires on it, definitely was aware of what I was giving up I drivability but loved the vehicle even more. So this one I am getting the trail goodies lockers, electronic disconnects, and I am getting all wheel drive auto, and I am going to match it with a softer light tire, I am buying a top quality lift with high end springs and shocks.. and I am going to have the best of both worlds and I am excited.

I literally saw someone on this thread say there Jeep will be on road 60% of the time and 40% off-road. That is not possible unless you are building a competition grade rock crawler that you trailer to trails or work as a off-road tour guide. Anyone with a life job family will be lucky to even get 5-10% of the total mileage off-road.

So I am building my Jeep for its actual use case. 95% on road lots of long road trips to get to trails, camp, visit the in-laws, cruise down the coast with the soft top down, ski trips, rainy day commutes.. And let me hit intermediate trails monthly. And 1-3 boys weekends with my business partner and other friends hitting advanced trails each year. I assume on the big advanced trail trips I will break or scratch something, it happens to one of the vehicles every time. I will not obsess or worry about one potential weak point that is less than a 1% chance of happening and sacrifice excessively in that 95% usage case. I love all wheel drive vehicles even in dry conditions they are planted and smooth.

I also had 4i turbo ESS engine last time and am getting the v6 etorque because the 4cyl although I got good gas mileage and it was peppy and run, the ess system was annoying and rough, the engine was loud, and the turbo lag was overly noticeable to me compared to other turbo vehicles I own, especially when try to push my front tire over a rock. So I love that Jeep is giving us the opportunity to have the capability we need from time to time and take it a little with features that making living the Jeep life more pleasant.

I can’t wait to drive my soft top 4a v6. Etorque rubicon with rock crawler lift and 37s ko2 (c ply rumored to come out this summer) it will be a savage bad ass off-road and a pleasant fun family car the rest of the time. That is actually one of the things I marvel most about both our grand Cherokees and our wranglers is that Jeep is able to build these amazing vehicles that tear up the trail and then carve up the canyon roads on the way back, it’s actually one of the things I love most about them and makes them special.

Sponsored

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
My 1997 Jeep Cherokee still has the original NP242, which has an AWD mode, it's great fun to drive in snow or wet conditions.
I wouldn't worry about wearing the new AWD transfercase out, just wish it had been available in 2020.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I bought a ‘21 Rubicon with the AWD feature and think it‘s the best feature of the Jeep, so much better on road manners when theres a mixture of dry and snow covered roads.
Ditto that. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we get a lot of rain, snow and big wind. All of which often come at the same time, like for most of the last few months. The roads can go from bone dry to wet to snow covered, often in the same stretch of I5. Having the option to use FT4WD has really paid off. Gas mileage suffers, but it's worth it.

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
It is the same in terms of the settings, though, and I was responding to the comment that they've always been troublesome. They have not, at least in my own experience and knowledge of others with both older and newer Cherokees and Grand Cherokees. The system in my WJ was full time, with a locked 4wd setting and a locked low range. It doesn't have a 2wd setting, like Selectrac . I wish it did, for fuel economy, but it works fine.

Put a lift and larger tires on them, and that might change the reliability equation, though.

Mine has a 4.7 V8, btw. It's pretty strong. No Hemi, but still pretty strong. Would love to have it in my JK.
Had an 01 4.7 WJ. It could go! Loved the quadra-trac. Had 198,000 miles before I traded her in.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Had an 01 4.7 WJ. It could go! Loved the quadra-trac. Had 198,000 miles before I traded her in.
My son has ours and I think it is only at about 125k miles and runs like new. The key is maintenance of the cooling system. If they overheat, the valve seats can come out or break. If not, it's a 300k engine. It sure is nice to drive!
Sponsored