DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Other FCA vehicles (Grand Cherokee, Durango and Ram) have all had on-going long-term issues with their clutch pack based transfer cases for years... I don’t expect Wrangler will be any different
I've got a 2004 WJ with Quadratrac II and its had no issues, at all. 113k miles. I've not heard of anyone I know with a GC having issues. Or Cherokees with Selectrac, either. Maybe we're lucky.

It has been around a LONG time and I think it will be fine. Where I have an issue with CV's is tearing a boot more than wearing out. I've run ATV's for years with them and have torn a boot from something as simple as a small stick flipping up in there. I'd look at how well protected they are, first. If they are exposed, I'd pass. That's just my 2 cents and it is based on doing several off-road trips per year, including forays into the deep woods where CV tearing sticks abound.

If not doing much off-roading or doing it in places without sticks, I wouldn't have much concern over them.
Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I didnt get it on my 2021. I dont have a need for it personally. I think you will be fine. I feel it is kind of like etorque, most people blabber on about how bad it is without any actual experience or evidence to back up there claim.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
HECK NO!

While AWD and 4WD may work similarly in Auto mode, having the ability to manually select 4H and 4L is a distinguishing characteristic of a 4WD system. In fact, even the ability to select between 2WD and 4A doesn’t exist on a “AWD” system.

Good luck taking an AWD vehicle off-road and reaching for a lever to engage into 4-Lo.

These are more than mere “marketing nomenclature” distinctions.
Yes, AWD and Full Time 4WD work similarly. In fact they work exactly the same. With the same technology. If the tcase lever said 2hi, AWD, part time 4WD, and 4LOW there would be no difference in the driving modes.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Examples from the 70s and 80s are meaningless. Cases like the NP203 did not use clutches and were completely gear driven, kinda like an axle differential. They had a "locker" in the 'case for true 4wd

Nomenclature, full time 4wd and AWD are the same thing. Both mean you can set it and forget it with no binding in tight turns on pavement.

Every manufacturer now chooses to accomplish full-time 4wd/AWD somewhat differently. In most cases differentials are no longer used but rather clutch packs that can get mashed together a little or a lot, just like slipping a clutch on a manual transmission for partial engagement.

Car and cute-ute systems tend to bias to the front and send power to the rear as needed. Even Quattros of old had a center diff lock (ie what would be your t-case) AND a rear diff lock, both driver-selectable

Personally I wouldn't want the clutch t-case in my Wrangler but Jeep seems to have it figured out. The only CV's I'd ever run would be RCV's

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, AWD and Full Time 4WD work similarly. In fact they work exactly the same. With the same technology. If the tcase lever said 2hi, AWD, part time 4WD, and 4LOW there would be no difference in the driving modes.

The fact that AWD and 4WD Auto work the same is relatively meaningless when you consider all the other modes a 4WD system offers that AWD doesn’t.

There is already enough confusion out there between “AWD” and “4WD” to now come out and say that “AWD” and a 4WD system with full-time feature “are exactly the same.” No, they are not.

The ability to manually select into part-time 4WD, and even into 2WD is a key difference from AWD.

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Personally I wouldn't want the clutch t-case in my Wrangler but Jeep seems to have it figured out. The only CV's I'd ever run would be RCV's
THE ’02 GC I referred to above had a 242 tcase. It worked great. Hardly ever put it in part time while off road. I do realize It couldn’t stand up to the torque in my Diesel Rubicon. Like you, I’m sure Jeep has it figured out. They did on my WK2 diesel GC. As far as CVs, I can make a point for and against. We have all seen a U joint fail on the trail. And CV boots are really tender. I wouldn’t let the CV/ Ujoint deter me from a vehicle I want.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
The fact that AWD and 4WD Auto work the same is relatively meaningless when you consider all the other modes a 4WD system offers that AWD doesn’t.

There is already enough confusion out there between “AWD” and “4WD” to now come out and say that “AWD” and a 4WD system with full-time feature “are exactly the same.” No, they are not.

The ability to manually select into part-time 4WD, and even into 2WD is a key difference from AWD.
You are exactly right. Let’s not confuse the youngsters with function, stick with the terms. My next car will have a moon roof not a sun roof. Moon roof only for me. The switch is totally different.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Youngsters get confused because the differences are very techical, but they are still differences, and can be significant in certain situations, on certain vehicles.

Fortunately for Wrangler owners, it won't matter because they will still have a part time 4wd high and low that locks the center diff. Most AWD vehicles lack the locking center diff and low range and even the 2wd high setting.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Youngsters get confused because the differences are very techical, but they are still differences, and can be significant in certain situations, on certain vehicles.

Fortunately for Wrangler owners, it won't matter because they will still have a part time 4wd high and low that locks the center diff. Most AWD vehicles lack the locking center diff and low range and even the 2wd high setting.
Aldo is arguing that selectability is the distinction and is the reason he called me out. I used AWD instead of writing out full time 4 wheel drive in an above post. Functionally the setting are the same. So when someone uses the term “ for the record” or other “l’m smarter than you“ BS terms I tend to double down on my point that the FUNCTION is the same. But hey, let’s add another bit of confusion To argue about. Y’all argue about the WK2 selectable dial between auto, sand rock and low. Meanwhile I’m going wheeling in Uwharrie.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Aldo is arguing that selectability is the distinction and is the reason he called me out. I used AWD instead of writing out full time 4 wheel drive in an above post. Functionally the setting are the same. So when someone uses the term “ for the record” or other “l’m smarter than you“ BS terms I tend to double down on my point that the FUNCTION is the same. But hey, let’s add another bit of confusion To argue about. Y’all argue about the WK2 selectable dial between auto, sand rock and low. Meanwhile I’m going wheeling in Uwharrie.
Lol, yeah, it is confusing even when debating confusion, for sure. I now see what you are saying. AWD = the full time 4wd setting. Got it.

Every now and then I think I'm smarter than someone else. But then usually get proven wrong.

Post up some pics of Uwharrie when you get back! Enjoy the trip!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll just leave this here...

Great video right there. Love Ronny Dahl.

I think he was only talking about the full time setting and AWD, in which case he was right. AWD vs locked 4wd, or part time, you are indeed correct.

So we can now all have a :beer:

I'll pass on the Subaru for off-roading! Lol!

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I've got a 2004 WJ with Quadratrac II and its had no issues, at all. 113k miles. I've not heard of anyone I know with a GC having issues. Or Cherokees with Selectrac, either. Maybe we're lucky.

It has been around a LONG time and I think it will be fine.
The “Selec-Trac” name has been around a long time, but it’s not using the same hardware.

Your Grand Cherokee’s NV247 and Cherokee’s NV242 transfer cases have long been discontinued.

Jeep/Chrysler used to build the “NV” transfer cases, they sold New Venture to Magna in the mid-2000’s

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The “Selec-Trac” name has been around a long time, but it’s not using the same hardware.

Your Grand Cherokee’s NV247 and Cherokee’s NV242 transfer cases have long been discontinued.

Jeep/Chrysler used to build the “NV” transfer cases, they sold New Venture to Magna in the mid-2000’s
It is the same in terms of the settings, though, and I was responding to the comment that they've always been troublesome. They have not, at least in my own experience and knowledge of others with both older and newer Cherokees and Grand Cherokees. The system in my WJ was full time, with a locked 4wd setting and a locked low range. It doesn't have a 2wd setting, like Selectrac . I wish it did, for fuel economy, but it works fine.

Put a lift and larger tires on them, and that might change the reliability equation, though.

Mine has a 4.7 V8, btw. It's pretty strong. No Hemi, but still pretty strong. Would love to have it in my JK.

Last edited:

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
THE ’02 GC I referred to above had a 242 tcase. It worked great. Hardly ever put it in part time while off road. I do realize It couldn’t stand up to the torque in my Diesel Rubicon. Like you, I’m sure Jeep has it figured out. They did on my WK2 diesel GC.
Similar torque as the diesel but I’m not certain if they use different cases. The 6.4L Hemi WK2/WD are known to destroy the clutch packs in their transfer cases
Sponsored