Have your local dealers tapped out?

tom1000

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Totally agree. I don't take it personal, it's just business. Which is why I may be flying into Washington-Reagan airport soon to visit the folks at Criswell. Then enjoy a scenic ride back home in a new Wrangler that I purchased at 8% under invoice. I plan to enjoy the journey-buying and driving.
Bought mine from Criswell well under invoice. No fuss no muss. Great dealer to buy from.
Sponsored

noswttea4u

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I got my local dealer to match 8% under invoice. I asked if I could post it and they said "No, we can't offer that to anyone else". So I guess it just depends on the person and manager you're dealing with and they're mood that day.

Some I reached out to locally said "we could match or beat it, but don't think it's good business" or something that to effect. Some didn't believe me, but when I showed them other offers, they just said "Sorry, we can't match that".

TopsOff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' JLU Sport S
Just bought my 2020 JLU Sport S for 4% below FWP from dealer stock. It was still in shipping mode and was a new arrival. Dealer Fees were $599 document and $287 prep on top of that. Trade was KBB ICO + 4%. Closest dealer to that was at 3% with similar fees and would only value my trade at KBB ICO + 2.6%. Criswell is at 7% on an ordered vehicle but their ballpark on trade was in a different universe - like KBB ICO minus 10% or CarMax. Another local dealer was right at FWP on an in stock 2020 and said he was losing money. Same dealer I bought my 2020 from was offering 2019's at MSRP minus $4000. Yet another local dealer was around FWP minus 1% no haggle on a 2020.

Rouge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sting-Gray
Bought mine from Criswell well under invoice. No fuss no muss. Great dealer to buy from.
I've been working with Leon Travis-he's been top shelf all of the way-very kind, professional and responsive . This along with their selling/pricing model makes them a top contender for my business.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Recently I had read several reports about overstock of Wranglers. Typically that would mean lower prices and willingness to deal. Has something changed recently with less in stock and more demand?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Just bought my 2020 JLU Sport S for 4% below FWP from dealer stock. It was still in shipping mode and was a new arrival. Dealer Fees were $599 document and $287 prep on top of that. Trade was KBB ICO + 4%. Closest dealer to that was at 3% with similar fees and would only value my trade at KBB ICO + 2.6%. Criswell is at 7% on an ordered vehicle but their ballpark on trade was in a different universe - like KBB ICO minus 10% or CarMax. Another local dealer was right at FWP on an in stock 2020 and said he was losing money. Same dealer I bought my 2020 from was offering 2019's at MSRP minus $4000. Yet another local dealer was around FWP minus 1% no haggle on a 2020.
That’s my fear with Criswell. They said they would give me what carmax will and carmax gives you pawn shop prices. Like my loan shark is enroute to break my knee caps and I just need any money to pay them back desperate. They lowball hard.

The KBB is 17500 for my car. I’ll swing by carmax but I’m guessing they will be several k under that which negates the amazing Criswell price.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
That’s my fear with Criswell. They said they would give me what carmax will and carmax gives you pawn shop prices. Like my loan shark is enroute to break my knee caps and I just need any money to pay them back desperate. They lowball hard.

The KBB is 17500 for my car. I’ll swing by carmax but I’m guessing they will be several k under that which negates the amazing Criswell price.
Have you considered selling private party? More work and time but you should get more than any trade.

threejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Acura MDX
I haven’t been close locally yet. I had one who was so proud to tell me they always give builds away at dealer cost. When I explained I was already under they took $500 off. They are currently $3300 over my best price. I have one other I am talking to today that is within an hour from me. Their first quote was $1500 over my best. I am giving them all a best and final shot today based on price and money factor and will go with the lowest.

I sold a car to CarMax before and it was pretty fair. Similar situation where I needed to buy elsewhere without a trade. Obviously selling private is best bet by a decent margin, but for ease carmax may make sense. Definitely worth getting a quote from them at worst. If I remember they honor for 5 days so you can shop around, but this was probably 4-5 years ago.

rainmakerjjo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2015
I haven’t been close locally yet. I had one who was so proud to tell me they always give builds away at dealer cost. When I explained I was already under they took $500 off. They are currently $3300 over my best price. I have one other I am talking to today that is within an hour from me. Their first quote was $1500 over my best. I am giving them all a best and final shot today based on price and money factor and will go with the lowest.

I sold a car to CarMax before and it was pretty fair. Similar situation where I needed to buy elsewhere without a trade. Obviously selling private is best bet by a decent margin, but for ease carmax may make sense. Definitely worth getting a quote from them at worst. If I remember they honor for 5 days so you can shop around, but this was probably 4-5 years ago.
Saw you are from Philly area. Did you check with Kate at Courtesy Jeep in Coatesville?

threejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Acura MDX
Saw you are from Philly area. Did you check with Kate at Courtesy Jeep in Coatesville?
Yes. I appreciate the heads up though. We are communicating. Somewhat in between numbers there. Beats my closest dealers, but not as good as Criswell. I can get to Criswell due to work fairly easy so going with best number I can get. I will update how it ends up.

Sponsored

rainmakerjjo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2015
Yes. I appreciate the heads up though. We are communicating. Somewhat in between numbers there. Beats my closest dealers, but not as good as Criswell. I can get to Criswell due to work fairly easy so going with best number I can get. I will update how it ends up.

Cool. From what I read, most tend to end up at around 6% below with Courtesy. Their doc fees tend to be a little lower as well, plus for PA residents no added hassle of getting the vehicle inspected again. But ultimately, can't match the 7-8% below deals given they aren't a volume based dealership, so those bonus kickbacks don't come into play.

LVJeepn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bikini Pearl
Occupation
CNC Laser Programmer, CAD Designer
We ended up paying $500 over invoice, I thought it was a pretty good deal. It was also on a JLUR in a rarer color, bikini pearl. There were only 2 in the whole Las Vegas area at the time.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's invoice price and then there's dealer hold back. Invoice price is easy enough to figure out using the order guides. Dealer hold back is ~3% of invoice price. Hold back is money the dealer can make from the sell if they sold at invoice.
I think it is unreasonable to expect *most* dealers to do better than (invoice - hold back) because at that point they will only make money on kick backs from Jeep.

If the dealer is in a small market/low volume then they get even less kick backs from Jeep. So, imo, if you start off by saying you want 8% off invoice, 99% of dealers will tap out and it only makes sense that they would.

I live in a very small market and the best I could get the dealer to do was invoice - hold back. I am perfectly happy with that and while I could have gotten a percent or two lower if I traveled, it wasn't worth my time. I'd rather support the small local dealer anyway.

threejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Acura MDX
Cool. From what I read, most tend to end up at around 6% below with Courtesy. Their doc fees tend to be a little lower as well, plus for PA residents no added hassle of getting the vehicle inspected again. But ultimately, can't match the 7-8% below deals given they aren't a volume based dealership, so those bonus kickbacks don't come into play.
I am hopeful we can get close enough. I know they need to make some and I do put a value on my time/convenience. I look at it that a few thousand is a no go, but if we can get closer to 1k and save on a few fees it can work.

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Have you considered selling private party? More work and time but you should get more than any trade.
I have but I don’t pay tax on the difference if I trade in. If I sell it I pay tax on the difference. It’s ends up being near 2k in extra sales tax on the wrangler.
Sponsored

Last edited: