Have you sold to Vroom?

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Initiated with Vroom and they broke their own timeframes for actions in the sales sequence. They also suck at customer service—good luck talking to a human who can answer your questions.

I have sold three vehicles to CarMax (including my 2018 JLU Sahara), it was painless, a little lower than Vroom, but I have one about 10mins away, and I was happy with the price I got and immediate payment, deposited right there by iPhone. I sold my JLU Sahara on a Sunday and my factory order JTR EcoDiesel arrived by Wednesday back in June. CarMax had the loan paid to my bank in a week, the lien was satisfied, and then I got a check from my bank for the overage payment calculated on interest for a future payoff date. This is consistent with my previous two sales in 2018. Sold the wife’s 2015 Ford Escape the week before her JLU Sahara arrived from the factory and did the same with my 2012 F-150 FX4OR.

For Vroom it would 3-5 weeks for for all of that to happen. I initiated the sale on 27 May and I got an email on 5 June stating Vroom deal expired. I got their FedEx paperwork package on 9 June. WTF? No one was taking my calls at Vroom, so I sold it to CarMax.

More money? Yes. Faith in the process? No. How much ass pain do you want to endure? Mileage may vary. Confidence in their system? No.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
JDChris

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
@JDChris no experience with vroom, but I recently sold my wife’s CRV to Shift. I strongly recommend you check them out. Shift gave us the highest quote over caravana, vroom, and carmax. Even after they did a slight deduction for worn tires, the final sale price was still about $1500 more than any other company’s initial quote.

DM me for more info if you’re interested.
Apparently Shift does not do business in Metro Detroit. It’s not like we’re known as the Motor City or anything 🤷🏼‍♂️

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
A quick rule of thumb: sell to Carvana, buy from Vroom. They have different profit models. Carvana pays high and sells high, Vroom pays lower and sells lower. This is generally true even if you save some tax by trading into Carvana.

And during these crazy times, stay away from CarMax... they buy low and sell high! The best advice is sell to Carvana, and wait out the craziness. The thousands you save will be worth the wait.

OP
OP
JDChris

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
A quick rule of thumb: sell to Carvana, buy from Vroom. They have different profit models. Carvana pays high and sells high, Vroom pays lower and sells lower. This is generally true even if you save some tax by trading into Carvana.

And during these crazy times, stay away from CarMax... they buy low and sell high! The best advice is sell to Carvana, and wait out the craziness. The thousands you save will be worth the wait.
Buying through my dealer and Vroom offer is $6,000 more than Carvana. I’m conducting some due diligence to make sure others haven’t had issues with Vroom.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Buying through my dealer and Vroom offer is $6,000 more than Carvana. I’m conducting some due diligence to make sure others haven’t had issues with Vroom.
Ok. My comparisons with 3 different car offers over the years showed Carvana offered more, sometimes a lot more, so maybe markets differ.

But I did get as far as Vroom sending me paperwork for my vehicle. I never signed and sent the paperwork back because I saw something in their fine print that scared me away: fuzzier language about charging you after the fact if they feel you misrepresented what you said. This means, they can take your car away and deal's still not finalized! If Vroom has the right to change the deal AFTER they take your car away, I was concerned. Read the fine print, maybe they changed it in they last year.

Conversely, on a lease buy out, Carvana's driver brought the check and finalized the deal when they picked up my car. I felt it was more honest.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JDChris

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
…But I did get as far as Vroom sending me paperwork for my vehicle. I never signed and sent the paperwork back because I saw something in their fine print that scared me away: fuzzier language about charging you after the fact if they feel you misrepresented what you said. This means, they can take your car away and deal's still not finalized! If Vroom has the right to change the deal AFTER they take your car away, I was concerned. Read the fine print, maybe they changed it in they last year….
Exactly why I posted here - to find out if anyone had a bad experience with Vroom. I’m not as comfortable with Vroom as I am Carvana but $6,000 more helps ease the discomfort.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica

Not true in every case. CarMax resold my Loaded 2018 JLU Sahara for $600 more than I sold it to them for.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Not true in every case. CarMax resold my Loaded 2018 JLU Sahara for $600 more than I sold it to them for.
Yes, exceptions exist because their algorithms were written before the 'dark time'. Computer programs calculate what they offer and what they sell for. Nowadays, all the algorithms are having issues in today's market. You have Carvana selling used Rubicons for $5-10K more than the original msrp. They even have the hutzpah to list the window sticker in the same ad ... are we that stupid?

Jeep Wrangler JL Have you sold to Vroom? 1628950780398

Jeep Wrangler JL Have you sold to Vroom? 1628950277786

sirphenergan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 4xe; 2020 JTR
No issues selling to vroom. Took a few weeks from beginning to end but ultimately they honored the price they offered me and it was $6k higher than carvana. Sending my vehicle off without any pay was a little scary but they deposited it within a couple days.

Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Traded in my bare bones ‘19 JL for a ‘21 JLR today. Vroom and Carvana each offered me $32K and $27K, respectively. Dealer guessed $31K for Vroom and ended up giving me $30K.
Jeep Wrangler JL Have you sold to Vroom? 59C79452-C70A-444E-8BC9-A2DBD21DB05D

Matanzas

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just sold to Carvana to clear my garage for a 392. They offered 2K more than carmax, and 7K more than dealer. Process was quick and E-Z.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Just sold to Carvana to clear my garage for a 392. They offered 2K more than carmax, and 7K more than dealer. Process was quick and E-Z.
Carvana here too

2015 VW Golf GTI

$4K more than dealer
$2k more than Vroom

They're picking it up tomorrow

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2dr, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2019 Cherokee TrailHawk
I recently decided to sell my 2020 2dr Rubicon in order to move to a 4dr. I had heard about the prices being offered by Carvana, Vroom, etc.. I put in my vehicles details on Carvana, Carmax and Givemethevin.com. They all came in around $38k with about a $200 difference between the 3 of them. I did the same thing on Vroom and they came back with an offer of $44614. I was really shocked and thought they mush have made a mistake. After reading through all the fine print I decided to give Vroom a shot and I'm so glad they did. Process was incredibly smooth and they paid exactly what their original quote was. It was a little disconcerting to hand over the vehicle to them with no check in hand but I figured they're publicly traded, been in business for a while and my wife is an attorney so we could fight them legally if necessary. Bottom line they picked up the Jeep on a Friday and I had a check in my hand the following Thursday. I'm still shocked they paid so much but they absolutely followed through on their word.

We were so happy with them that we're currently selling them my wife's 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. They came in about $2k higher than the others.

TallDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR-XR
I checked with Vroom, Shift, Carvana and Carmax. Vroom had the best offer for my car by about $650. Carmax was thousands lower (I have never gotten a good offer from them). Carvana was $500 less than Vroom, Shift was like $1k below. I initiated with Vroom and it was a wrong right off the bat. Google their overall reviews and you'll see, they pay more and sell for less, but that comes at a price. They're completely hands off and the paperwork was immediately wrong, I noticed right off the bat. They put me on hold for ~45mins to come back with the same paperwork errors. I believe they outsource their CS and they have very little idea what is going on, the go off scripts and were overall un-helpful. Stories abound of delays, taking months to payoff your trade in. Granted, they are so high volume they get it right a few times. But that seems to be more of the exception vs the rule. So I decided to do a KBB cash offer and a local dealer purchased my car for thousands over any one else. Do your research, shop around, you'll find a dealer that may want your car more than another. I contacted ~6 local dealers and almost each offer was below the Vroom/Carvana, it was on par with Shift offer. Overall tho, used car prices being so high, it's a great time to sell! I sold another car a few months ago, and also went with a local dealer that paid me over MSRP for my truck, that then sold it for over $10k of MSRP...weird times...
Sponsored