bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro
Sounds like your mind’s made up.

If you can afford the 392, then get it. It will be loads of fun. But don’t try to rationalize your purchase thinking that “392 will be better in snow” or any of that, cuz it won’t be.

Just be honest with yourself and get it; it’s okay to have fun.

Good luck!

lol........understood and thanks. I didn't mean it would be better in snow: rather, I would be ok in snow b/c of its full time 4wd platform (coupled with the KO2's).
And actually, my mind isn't made up yet. I really liked the way the the Sahara altitude with eco diesel drove-- more so than the Rubicon with the same engine.
But if I get it, I need to get the 2.0 engine so I can get the Selec Trac to go with it (not offered with the diesel)
I was just curious if you thought the Sahara would be the better option in that it will still be fun (and I was thinking of doing an after market tune, which I'm sure has to be feasible w/o screwing with the warranty), safer in the bad weather with Selec trac c/w the 392 while being a better DD, and of course will save me about $20-25k.

thanks again for your feedback.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
lol........understood and thanks. I didn't mean it would be better in snow: rather, I would be ok in snow b/c of its full time 4wd platform (coupled with the KO2's).
And actually, my mind isn't made up yet. I really liked the way the the Sahara altitude with eco diesel drove-- more so than the Rubicon with the same engine.
But if I get it, I need to get the 2.0 engine so I can get the Selec Trac to go with it (not offered with the diesel)
I was just curious if you thought the Sahara would be the better option in that it will still be fun (and I was thinking of doing an after market tune, which I'm sure has to be feasible w/o screwing with the warranty), safer in the bad weather with Selec trac c/w the 392 while being a better DD, and of course will save me about $20-25k.

thanks again for your feedback.
Any Wrangler with Selec-Trac, rear LSD, a good set of ATs, and the standard BLD, will get you through snow covered roads more easily than any other Wrangler combination.

With regards to having fun: after owning a string of Dodge Challengers with the 392, I found that driving fast gets old quickly. By contrast, Wranglers can be fun at slow speeds; that’s how it’s been for 80+ years.

Any Wrangler will give you that...without the need to hit 60 in 4 seconds.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I was thinking of doing an after market tune, which I'm sure has to be feasible w/o screwing with the warranty
Do your due diligence before signing that particular check.

I recently chatted with my dealer's Service Writer after dropping off my Jeep for its annual State inspection. By way of example, and when responding to my inquiry about lift kit installation, he was careful to explain that they only install MOPAR lifts. Further, material aftermarket hardware installations or modifications (which includes engine tunes) may tend to snuff a warranty claim pretty quickly, depending on the details of the claim.

That's one anecdote from one dealer, and I know from experience that some are more accommodating than others. Thus the recurring and not accidental chat on this forum about carefully "unmarrying" the Tazer, to cover one's tracks, when taking the JL in for service. Possibly an aftermarket tune might not be so easily camouflaged.

OP
OP

bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

I recently chatted with my dealer's Service Writer after dropping off my Jeep for its annual State inspection. By way of example, and when responding to my inquiry about lift kit installation, he was careful to explain that they only install MOPAR lifts. Further, material aftermarket hardware installations or modifications (which includes engine tunes) may tend to snuff a warranty claim pretty quickly, depending on the details of the claim.

That's one anecdote from one dealer, and I know from experience that some are more accommodating than others. Thus the recurring and not accidental chat on this forum about carefully "unmarrying" the Tazer, to cover one's tracks, when taking the JL in for service. Possibly an aftermarket tune might not be so easily camouflaged.

thanks for that.............. and it's definitely something I'm cognizant of. I actually haven't come across many threads where people have talked about tunes to their 2.0 engines. That left me with the impression that factory backed tunes may not be out there as of yet, at least not for the turbo 4, but maybe I'm wrong.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

I recently chatted with my dealer's Service Writer after dropping off my Jeep for its annual State inspection. By way of example, and responding to my inquiry about lift kit installation, he was careful to explain that they only install MOPAR lifts. Further, material aftermarket hardware installations or modifications (which includes engine tunes) may tend to snuff a warranty claim pretty quickly, depending on the details of the claim.

I just had this very same conversation with a dealer this morning.

After my local dealer refused to do the steering TSB on grounds that my Jeep “has been modified”, today I drove 30 miles to the next nearest Jeep dealer to see if they’d do it.

The Service Advisor didn’t know. He said “I’d have to read the actual TSB.” Rather impatiently I asked “Could I get an answer? I’ve been trying to get this resolved for weeks.”

That’s what it took to get him to give my question some time and attention. Once he did, things started to fall into place.

After a few minutes looking up the TSB in the system, he located it and read to me the notes attached to the TSB. It read that FCA will honor the TSB as long as the vehicle has:
  1. A Mopar lift that has been professionally installed, or
  2. An aftermarket lift of comparable specifications, that has been professionally installed
  3. Alignment specs that fall within acceptable factory range
There’s no mention of exclusions due to modifications to the track bar, steering stabilizer or anything else, as my local dealer had claimed.

What I learned from all this is that FCA will approve warranty work on modified Jeeps. But it is the dealer staff who, if they don’t know, instead of focusing and finding out, it is easier to blow off the customer and then blame FCA for it.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I actually haven't come across many threads where people have talked about tunes to their 2.0 engines.

That left me with the impression that factory backed tunes may not be out there as of yet, at least not for the turbo 4, but maybe I'm wrong.
I'd be fibbing if I said I didn't investigate the idea of an engine tune, after taking delivery of my new JLU. :)

The first video I found on YT made plain that the tuners were still getting their sea legs, with respect to the 2 liter engine being the first from FCA with direct injection and forced induction.

It's not my habit to be an early adopter, so I decided to wait for (a) the engine tune tech to mature a bit, and (b) a decent number of forum threads to appear where owners provide real-world feedback. As you've correctly noticed, we're not really at (b) yet.

And the experience that @aldo98229 had with two dealers, for the same issue, also makes plain that we sometimes have to do more heavy lifting than should be necessary.
Sponsored