OP

bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro
If spending the extra money to get the 392 is not a big deal, then I say do it!

You had a Shelby, which I imagine you only got to enjoy a small amount of the time. Getting the 392 would allow you to have all of the features of the best off road vehicle on the market, combined with the glorious sound and straight line performance of a muscle car. You’d get to experience that every day! You’d have the ultimate Wrangler. There’s nothing more you could want! You only live once! If you have the money, I think it’s an easy decision.

You nailed it........
I LOVED driving my Shelby, but didn't get to drive it often, and there were times that the lowered suspension/front end became a bit annoying during DD.
What you said is exactly the reason I'm even considering the 392......... that extra money is a lot, and it makes me wonder if resale will hold up on a niche vehicle that costs close to $80. It's pretty nuts to pay that much for a wrangler -- given the other vehicle options that are out there for that price-- but I also think it checks so many boxes that no other vehicle does.

I guess I'm just trying to justify it given that I could build out a Rubicon or Sahara with the 2.0 and have it be plenty capable.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Given your situation, I’d go as you say:
  1. Get the 2.0T given that you are in elevation
  2. Get the Sahara Altitude with the Selec-Trac, the rear LSD and D44 (the latter 2 are added when you get Selec-Trac)
  3. When you are ready to add 33s, add a simple 1-inch leveling kit and you will be good
This was my Sahara on 33-inch KO2s and a Daystar “Comfort Ride” leveling kit (3/4-inch in front, 0.5-inch in rear; $49 on Quadratec). It has the Selec-Trac, rear LSD and D44: it was a beast in the snow! Best part was, it retained the smooth factory ride and handling.
28B358FC-1B59-46EF-B053-7C638CADC2F5.jpeg

FFBCB169-3558-42D9-99D3-A4AC91501E0B.jpeg

20AD6296-AF74-4207-B043-9CFFB89E54F4.jpeg

ACB78B65-DECB-4357-9272-5C22147D0BB8.jpeg

Thanks!
Your Sahara looks awesome. So basically a 1" leveling kit and slap on some 33's and i would be good to go.........would just need to swamp out the factory bumpers front and rear.
How do you compare the drive with a stock Rubicon with the 2.0? Not so much off road, but on road and in the snow? Have you had the chance to compare them?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks!
Your Sahara looks awesome. So basically a 1" leveling kit and slap on some 33's and i would be good to go.........would just need to swamp out the factory bumpers front and rear.
How do you compare the drive with a stock Rubicon with the 2.0? Not so much off road, but on road and in the snow? Have you had the chance to compare them?
Thanks!

Yes. The 3/4”-1/2” Daystar spacer kit allowed me to mount 275/70R18 KO2s without issue. The tires rubbed the fenders slightly once in extreme articulation on the trail, but it only happened once; otherwise it was clear sailing.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/daystar/34-spacer-lift-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl

It’s been awhile since I test drove a Rubicon. But from what I recall, Sahara rides a little more smoothly, and feels a bit more lithe on its feet —perhaps due to its 18-inch wheels.

BTW, you can add a headliner to cut down on the amount of din bouncing off the hardtop surfaces. You can order it from the factory, or get one of the many aftermarket alternatives.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Any advice would be appreciated. Am I better off saving almost $25k and getting a Sahara altitude and just getting the turbo 4 and tuning it? Will it be the better daily driver and long distance driver than the 392?

OTOH, that turbo 4 will sound God awful from what I read and the the joy of listening to that 6.4 Hemi along with the performance/fun factor is hard to ignore.
Reading isn't the same as driving. ;)

The Hemi will of course have a nice soundtrack, but the 2.0T isn't "God awful". It does sound a bit busy during cold starts, but it quickly settles into a precise mechanical whirr. Anyone who expects otherwise from an engine of this style & displacement might deserve their disappointment. Horses for courses.

If the Willys had the option of leather seats, I think I would be all about it
Did you check the configurator to confirm this? I could have ordered my Sport with a leather interior (I chose cloth). It'd be interesting to know why leather wouldn't be available in the higher level Willys trim.

OP
OP

bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reading isn't the same as driving. ;)

The Hemi will of course have a nice soundtrack, but the 2.0T isn't "God awful". It does sound a bit busy during cold starts, but it quickly settles into a precise mechanical whirr. Anyone who expects otherwise from an engine of this style & displacement might deserve their disappointment. Horses for courses.

Did you check the configurator to confirm this? I could have ordered my Sport with a leather interior (I chose cloth). It'd be interesting to know why leather wouldn't be available in the higher level Willys trim.
Yes-- already tried building one. No leather seat option

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks........good to know about the 33's sans lift. I think another poster mentioned having to do a 1" leveling kit.
Are you saying your Rubicon handles better and rides better (smoothness) on pavement c/w your wife's JL Sahara?
Yes it does. Keep in mind though, tires can make a huge difference. They are very close in handling, and both sets are off-road tires (mine are MTs, hers are hybrids). Both have been aired down. Both vehicles have HD stock suspensions. They are so close that my opinion may be skewed. You can consider both to be equal.

OP
OP

bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With that in mind, there is a well-regarded aftermarket solution.

thanks. when I entered my zip code, no installers popped up. I would have to plan ahead and make a trip to Phoenix I'm assuming. But I would have thought some installers would have come up there.

I'm going to stick to my original plan of a Sahara altitude vs a 392.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
If you have the means, get the 392, no questions asked. We have both. A Sahara Altitude and a 392. Guess which one I drive? If you think the cost will be on your mind more than the fun youll have behind the wheel, stick with the Sahara Altitude.

OP
OP

bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have the means, get the 392, no questions asked. We have both. A Sahara Altitude and a 392. Guess which one I drive? If you think the cost will be on your mind more than the fun youll have behind the wheel, stick with the Sahara Altitude.

You're exactly the guy I was hoping I would find on here......lol.
Fun factor: there is no doubt I will love the V8 and probable feel that I'm driving a muscle car on stilts.
Here are main questions I'm hoping you can elaborate on:

1. Driving dynamics on road if I'm doing long road trips. For example, outside of taking trips on weekends 3 hours to phoenix a fair amount, I may want to drive it across AZ into so-cal to visit family when I don't feel like flying. How would you compare them comfort wise? Do the fox shocks on the 392 actually make it as or more comfortable than your Sahara altitude?

2. The 392 comes with full time 4wd, but the Sahara can be equipped with the Selec Trac option as well. How would you say each would do in snow/bad roads? This will be an issue for me during the winter time.

3. My daily commute is super short (just under a mile each way). Therefore, the eco diesel isn't an option. The turbo 4 is what I would get if I got the Sahara altitude. I'm guessing you have this engine.......how do you like for DD?

4. Finally, off road wise........I don't feel I even need to ask this. the 392 is going to give me way more confidence wherever I take it c/w with the Sahara altitude (sans mods). How has your 392 done off road so far?

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The 392 is not going to do squat for you in the snow. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Well, besides get you into the ditch faster...

OP
OP

bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 392 is not going to do squat for you in the snow. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Well, besides get you into the ditch faster...

I don't expect it to help in the snow. I just want to make sure it won't be a hindrance.
The fact that it has KO2's and full time 4wd, I expect it to do at least as well as a Sahara altitude with selec trac.........that's more of what I wanted to make sure of (as long as I'm not stupid with the throttle : )
Side note: I had E rated KO2's on a lexus GX 460 years ago.......they were awful in the rain. I mean, just terrible, and having full time 4wd didn't off set that. So I get that tires are everything. My current Nitto terra grapplers on my 4runner do far better.
But.......the KO2's have a very good rep off road and in the snow, so I would likely keep them on the 392.
If I got a Sahara, I would likely get Falken AT3's, which I think may be the best all around AT tire for rain, snow, and on road compromise.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
You nailed it........
I LOVED driving my Shelby, but didn't get to drive it often, and there were times that the lowered suspension/front end became a bit annoying during DD.
What you said is exactly the reason I'm even considering the 392......... that extra money is a lot, and it makes me wonder if resale will hold up on a niche vehicle that costs close to $80. It's pretty nuts to pay that much for a wrangler -- given the other vehicle options that are out there for that price-- but I also think it checks so many boxes that no other vehicle does.

I guess I'm just trying to justify it given that I could build out a Rubicon or Sahara with the 2.0 and have it be plenty capable.
As a Shelby owner I’m sure you are aware of the price of rare classic Shelby’s . The 392 will be made in relatively small numbers for perhaps a few years and you are concerned about RESALE VALUE!!!

OP
OP

bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a Shelby owner I’m sure you are aware of the price of rare classic Shelby’s . The 392 will be made in relatively small numbers for perhaps a few years and you are concerned about RESALE VALUE!!!

lol........yeah, I think there will be plenty of people out there who will want one if/when I decide to sell it. I only asked b/c I read so many comments of Wrangler owners who talk about how insane it is for a wrangler to be priced at that.
Don't forget: that 392 can be had in a $40k challenger, so I get where they're coming from in terms of justifying the price.

The prior Shelby GT350 that I owned is a bit different in that the engine isn't shared with anything else........that flat plane crank V8 is an engineering masterpiece and a rare find.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
T
lol........yeah, I think there will be plenty of people out there who will want one if/when I decide to sell it. I only asked b/c I read so many comments of Wrangler owners who talk about how insane it is for a wrangler to be priced at that.
Don't forget: that 392 can be had in a $40k challenger, so I get where they're coming from in terms of justifying the price.

The prior Shelby GT350 that I owned is a bit different in that the engine isn't shared with anything else........that flat plane crank V8 is an engineering masterpiece and a rare find.
The Holy Grail 427 was shared with station wagons & sedans among others, same with the 428. The small block was used throughout fords lineup. Shared 392 will not be an impediment
Sponsored