Sponsored

Have dealer perform transmission service?

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I know I have seen a few threads of posters doing their own trans service by just dropping the pan. I have even seen a few where a dealer was quoting over $800 for the service. Mine is due in about 5k miles since I am at 55k on my 19 JLU. Called my dealer this morning who I haven't used since I bought the Jeep. They quoted me $585 for a full trans service. At that price I am going to let them do the service and if anything happens they will be responsible. This is in New Jersey specifically South Jersey.
Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Good idea to have them do it if you haven't done it before but don't bank on them standing by transmission issues after 60K miles, even if they are the ones that did the service at 55K miles.

OP
OP
Stuckinthesand

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Good idea to have them do it if you haven't done it before but don't bank on them standing by transmission issues after 60K miles, even if they are the ones that did the service at 55K miles.
Definitely not banking on that. Just figured at that price it’s easier to let them do it. I’d spend probably 500 myself to change all the fluid and filter.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Definitely not banking on that. Just figured at that price it’s easier to let them do it. I’d spend probably 500 myself to change all the fluid and filter.
Makes sense. The transfer case fluid on the other hand is something that you can easily do at home if you were planning on them doing that too.

OP
OP
Stuckinthesand

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Makes sense. The transfer case fluid on the other hand is something that you can easily do at home if you were planning on them doing that too.
Yeah I’ve always done that myself along with regular maintenance. Just called looking for a price and it was good enough not to pass up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stuckinthesand

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
It would not cost you $500 to do it yourself.

$150 = 5QTs of ZF LG8 fluid
$50 = New filter
That just empties the pan correct? This is a full fluid exchange with filter. I see it would be a bit cheaper even with doing multiple drop and drains to get all fresh fluid but the dealer price isn't bad for a one time shot in my opinion.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
That just empties the pan correct? This is a full fluid exchange with filter. I see it would be a bit cheaper even with doing multiple drop and drains to get all fresh fluid but the dealer price isn't bad for a one time shot in my opinion.
Correct...BUT make them explain to you in detail how they're going to maintain the temperature inside the transmission and not over pressure the valve body. The valves/servos require certain temperature to open or else all of the fluid will not be exchanged.

None of the dealers that I contacted her in Colorado could give me a good explanation of the process and so that's what pushed me to do it myself. The price you have is about $300 to $400 cheaper than I could find in Colorado.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It would not cost you $500 to do it yourself.

$150 = 5QTs of ZF LG8 fluid
$50 = New filter
May I ask where you got the filter and fluid? Dealer, or elsewhere?

Was there anything to it, beyond just dropping the pan, replacing the filter, and topping off?

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF

Was there anything to it, beyond just dropping the pan, replacing the filter, and topping off?
Yes, it's a fair bit more complicated than that. ZF has posted quite an intricate flowchart of how to service it.

Attachments

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Here is my thread on it - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/zf8-50k-mile-transmission-service.94302/

I bought the filter and fluid from ebay:

Fluid here: - https://www.ebay.com/itm/254627084216

Filter here: - https://www.ebay.com/itm/266018098806

Let me know if you have any questions - happy to help!

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Yes, it's a fair bit more complicated than that. ZF has posted quite an intricate flowchart of how to service it.
There's nothing complicated about that.

1) Fill.
2) Start car (jeep), check level.
3) Add as necessary.

Literally no different than any other A/T trans fill.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
That's not what the document says at all.
That's exactly what it says. I guess I missed shift it through the gears. Otherwise, it's not rocket science.
Sponsored