Sponsored

Have any of you swapped your brand new stock tires as soon as your vehicle was delivered?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, I guess I just got unlucky that my dealer declined. I will look at other options / tire stores, or sell them privately.
I’ve sold my OE tires on Craigslist before, when I lived in Los Angeles. Got between $75-$100 per tire.
Sponsored

MalteeseJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had thought that I read here or there of people getting either their dealer or a tire shop to give them credit towards a more expensive tire purchase by trading in their brand new from factory stock tires from their wrangler and purchasing a higher quality / better tire like the KO2 or what have you.

I proposed this today to the salesman at the dealership where I am currently awaiting a brand new Sahara on order. The look on his face looked like he was holding back laughter... am I out to lunch or is this an unreasonable request?

Thanks
My dealer had multiple sets of rims and tires on jeeps on the lot, I told him when I traded in my 14' jku that I wasn't going down to stock rims and tires. He said go find what you want and it was a hell of a deal vs buying the same from ANYWHERE else. I will say in hindsight as I progress this build while I really do like what I have for a dd or road use and light trail. I'm now looking at a set of 17's with 37's.

If your dealer takes issue with it is he even really a JEEP dealer???

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
I took the wheels and tires off the second I got it home from the dealer.
Willys, Moab and Rubicon wheels/tires are best to sell on your own.
I'll get to it one of these days.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@RDiddy
Maybe you can get lucky and find someone nearby selling just the tires/wheels from their Rubicon for a significant discount. Post a WTB (Want To Buy) thread in the classifieds w/ your location. You could sell your Sahara wheels/tires on the site to make up about half the cost.

And the 17" tires are cheaper once the Rubicon tires wear out vs. the 18" tires on the Saharas.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
my daughter's jeep is still being built (or on the way, depending on who you talk to). I bought a set of 5 new wheels and TPMS sensors for her jeep....made a deal with the salesman that they would keep the factory wheels and tires and supply a set of 5 bfg ko2's of the rubi size (has a sport s ordered)..the weren't hesitant a bit to do the swap
you are so lucky , I asked few tire people and none of them were interested in the wheels

Sponsored

HammerTime

First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler, 2017 Ram Power Wagon, 2015 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
LOL, I have 5 stock tires in my garage with about 200 miles on them! Who runs stock tires on a Rubicon!!!!??? :)

I also had the 2" Mopar lift put on at the same time....

imagejpeg_0(3)[3096].jpg

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
That's more or less how I pictured it working, then they rolled me out of there like I kicked their dog lol. I guess I will sell the take offs privately

Do you happen to have a link to the new rims you went with, and the TPMS sensors?

Thanks for your feedback
for the wheels, we went with the Method 309 grid in titanium (to match, fairly well, her Granite Crystal Metallic paint:

Wheels

the sensors, I got from TPMS direct: although I ordered the 20398, I actually received the 29117 which is the " schrader chrysler gen6 flash potted snap-in tx 433 WAL TFA "...so your jeep honks at you when the tire reaches the set pressure :LOL:...basically the newest generation of sensors..upgrade of the 20398
20398 Sensors

and added a set of the 34000 service kits to convert to the metal stems
Aluminum TPMS service kit

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
There are three ways to go about this:
1, Negotiate a tire exchange with your dealer...before you sign the deal and order the vehicle!
2, Discount Tire will give you a trade value-varies by location and how much business you do with them. (They have your phone numbers in their data base and can look it up form any location)
3, Buy new tires and sell yours through the forum or craigslist. This is what I did with my JLR as I had 33" KO2's and got good money for them.

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
My dealer had multiple sets of rims and tires on jeeps on the lot, I told him when I traded in my 14' jku that I wasn't going down to stock rims and tires. He said go find what you want and it was a hell of a deal vs buying the same from ANYWHERE else. I will say in hindsight as I progress this build while I really do like what I have for a dd or road use and light trail. I'm now looking at a set of 17's with 37's.

If your dealer takes issue with it is he even really a JEEP dealer???
I wouldn't necessarily say they took issue with it, but in no uncertain terms I was told that it will never happen.

I didn't ask for anything specific or crazy either, I straight up asked him if I bought a set of 5 KO2's and a set of winter tires on top of that, can I get some credit towards that purchase by trading in my stock Duelers that will never even have been driven on the road.

I guess they don't want to sell me $2.5k - $3k worth of tires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
for the wheels, we went with the Method 309 grid in titanium (to match, fairly well, her Granite Crystal Metallic paint:

Wheels

the sensors, I got from TPMS direct: although I ordered the 20398, I actually received the 29117 which is the " schrader chrysler gen6 flash potted snap-in tx 433 WAL TFA "...so your jeep honks at you when the tire reaches the set pressure :LOL:...basically the newest generation of sensors..upgrade of the 20398
20398 Sensors

and added a set of the 34000 service kits to convert to the metal stems
Aluminum TPMS service kit
Thanks for the information and links. Very handy. Take care.

MalteeseJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I wouldn't necessarily say they took issue with it, but in no uncertain terms I was told that it will never happen.

I didn't ask for anything specific or crazy either, I straight up asked him if I bought a set of 5 KO2's and a set of winter tires on top of that, can I get some credit towards that purchase by trading in my stock Duelers that will never even have been driven on the road.

I guess they don't want to sell me $2.5k - $3k worth of tires.
My guess is they have no relationship with a local tire center so they don't have access to those kinds of options

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I swapped with about 3000 miles on mine. It's a weird feeling to just throw away something that is perfectly good. First time I've ever done that.

Okiedokie

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Sahara
I've got 22k on mine and I've run out of patience .
My 3 COAs are
1. 33in and keep the stock wheels
2. Rubi Takeoffs
3. All new wheels and tires.

Decisions, decisions...
Sponsored