Sponsored

Have an EcoDiesel JL Sahara for the week...some observations.

sdiver68

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4XE, Tesla M3LR, Nissan Sentra
Occupation
Management Consultant/Small Business Owner
Question on the Sky Touch - do you find the wind buffeting to be bad given the fixed rear window? Seems like FCA needs to figure out how to make a removable rear window for the Sky Touch to be a viable option.
As long as I open the rear windows, even just a small amount, there is no crazy or even noticeable buffeting.
Sponsored

sdiver68

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Except this one is way more fun to drive. Even when you aren't towing.
BTDT, respectfully disagree for me. Having owned a 3l diesel mid-size SUV, I can say the only thing I miss is relaxed towing.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
This is all personal preference I’m sure. But I agree with you 100%.

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
The only real reason for diesel is for towing, IMHO.
If you get a non-rubicon diesel it's actually a great way to get a lot of the rubicon perks (front & rear 44 axles, better gearing, upgraded brakes) straight from the factory on top of getting the diesel.

Sponsored

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Have a 2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited EcoDiesel on loan from FCA this week for the purpose of review (long story but I've been doing vehicle reviews for 15 years now and average about 40 vehicles I drive a year for review for a week at a time). Just a coincidence I happen to have a Wrangler of my own but it's nice to be able to compare the two.

Diesel notes so far - Averaging 26.8 mpg with 25% city and 75% 80mph driving. Gas mileage is incredible on the highway but isn’t much better than my Pentastar (Red one) in the city driving scenarios. Diesels reward consistency. The extra torque is nice on the highway for passing. Steering is much quicker (14.3:1 ratio in the Diesel) than in my Rubicon. Remember your ROI though as diesel is much more expensive than regular gasoline, and the initial cost of the diesel over the gas engines. Don't buy the EcoDiesel for fuel savings alone.

Acceleration is not noticeably quicker than in my Pentastar. There's a weight penalty for the diesel and a gearing advantage for the Rubi at play here. The programming is also tuned for efficiency from a stop, but seems to be much more responsive from a roll. The engine is very clearly a diesel. It's loud, even with the extra sound dampening. This won't bother most but it's worth noting the diesel clatter is very apparent.

The extra weight is noticeable under braking and cornering. Actually really noticeable under hard braking. Ride is noticeably firmer with the increased spring rates (10%). Bumps are much more pronounced. Sky one touch top is really nice to open quickly but the road noise with it closed is almost like driving with the freedom panels off in a hardtop.

Still have a few more days with it to get more notes on paper. Will update on some final thoughts after my week is up with it.

f3kf1314sV10qHoIxX5IaKydx6K129SwPWjpCFXFIwL-5IiEqcM9iOPpa5aBAdsV7dgMIvP-tJQMEUPl8A=w1278-h959-no.jpg

KqJqDzk2VoPrX6IolC3DSn-X8kIIHzMXw-4kgFLpcknEBwiPIwqeotR9IY5AD8Cz0x8KzOWZsrayX4Ai-w=w1278-h959-no.jpg

LkqjDs8g06FuDL30vWPNUigvYRRf8S9B-jJbWnexqLMPRWAX7s6GEQpON3afJj_JQNXLlcreUKjgo6W8P4=w1278-h959-no.jpg

1S1TXWLgfVI3YUJFPe_xTG7o-kuGhDUhm7atbG22Npyu6eyw6jScDSxjTJog9xFVL_DJ_L0DaMryxESXW0=w1278-h959-no.jpg

sCZ-6f3z4XEsmkZ1ryZHiVzuNabbq2FYqp7wZ_Ya67Xjr64LvXPUiDF2l7FFz_Uo-Yi6N1477XVAUp_e1Y=w1278-h959-no.jpg

83s0edthV4X5dUEYPJKNDkBW8tXlkft3EO5KbCi-fKv-omYOK7p5mbtgIlXRyfv-GnsFcI4gn3cH-zvNvo=w1278-h959-no.jpg

HvnROpRLBgG64cRfWKHh92q-RsB39yOB2UHFKnE5V-8LlyNnslzIbW4z4ml9X8UABkz8AZolc_97cC-hwY=w1278-h959-no.jpg
Cool review, tks for the feedback, always wanted a diesel, but its not offered in 2 doors in Canada that I know of. Still would love one.

sdiver68

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you get a non-rubicon diesel it's actually a great way to get a lot of the rubicon perks (front & rear 44 axles, better gearing, upgraded brakes) straight from the factory on top of getting the diesel.
Thats a fair point, as long as you realize they aren't really the same performance upgrades given they are coping with 425 lbs more vehicle weight.

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Cool review, tks for the feedback, always wanted a diesel, but its not offered in 2 doors in Canada that I know of. Still would love one.
The fuel savings is bogus, because if my calculations are semi-right and using an average of $3.75 gallon for regular gas and diesel (San Diego CA prices but I assume the ratio would be similar in other places) it would take you driving the jeep diesel 91,261 miles (compared to 2.0L engine) and 79,012 miles (compared to the 3.6L engine) to make up for the $4000 difference in price, and that is assuming a 27 miles/gal for the diesel. How many years is that? with an average of 20k miles a year is 4.6 years and 4.0 years respectively to start saving money on gas . . . . that is a lot of wait to start saving for your mods. . .and if the fuel efficiency is less than 27 mi/gal well you get my drift a lot more driving. . So don't use savings in gas money to your wife as a reason to buy the diesel... torque and cool factor maybe.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I agree. You have to want the diesel for the benefits it offers, rather than try to justify through fuel savings.

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
How do you like this ? 2.0L Turbo stock (31-inch wheels). This is probably mostly freeway miles (i'd say 97 %) with 89 octane gasoline at 70 miles an hour on cruise control, and an up and down freeway I'm at sea level but with some hills. 27.5 miles per gallon !!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Have an EcoDiesel JL Sahara for the week...some observations. 20200602_133447

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I really enjoy driving the 3.0L on the highway. I hope I don't get a traffic ticket. :blush:
It is so easy to get to 80-85mph before you even realize it thanks to the excellent torque, and the engine sound reduction inside along with the Alpine system. It is awesome as a daily driver.
I am at nearly 2000 miles on this Wrangler and loving it so far.
I am just a little careful in where I fill up fuel. Thankfully I have a choice of two fairly busy pumps - a Shell and a Chevron, both on the main intersections adjacent to highway ramps. But I don't know how busy it for diesel vehicles, but they are both well maintained stores so I am hoping they have good fuel quality.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
All motors can run "just fine" on lower octane fuel than what they are supposed to run - modern systems will retard the ignition to accommodate, with a lower fuel economy (and performance) as a result. If the point is fuel economy, though, then apples aren't being compared to apples. As I said in my original post the real economy question is the $4-5K (depending upon how one looks at it) extra required for the diesel engine up front - which, IMO, makes it not a good option if the desire is purely one of the economics of driving; the gas V-6 will always be cheaper. For those that desire it, though, the extended range and/or the extra torque *may* be worth it. I just tire of the canard of "diesel fuel is way more expensive" being constantly repeated as the economic inhibitor when it's really the initial investment and potentially the ongoing higher maintenance cost.
The 2.0L running on 87 octane will be the lowest cost per mile for fuel, and beat the Pentastar by 15% to 20%.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Something that no one is mentioning though is that the Diesel will be less effected by mods when it comes to fuel mileage. The 3.6 on 37s does not get good mileage. The 2.0 is better, but still suffers significantly from large tires and heavy bumpers. But the Diesel will be effected much less because of the low end torque. So it will get significantly more fuel economy than a gas engine with similar mods. Not saying that this justifies the cost by itself. But it will help to reason it.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Damn really disappointed at how loud the freedom top sounds