Sponsored

Have an EcoDiesel JL Sahara for the week...some observations.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I don’t find the buffeting bad but you get some crazy vortex back there if your roofs open and doors are off. Anything light can blow right out on the highway.
GSD fur everywhere.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Diesel prices are closer to gasoline prices in some states.

Fuel_taxes_in_the_united_states.png

yeah i see that. but fuel prices around my area are crasy. for example i fill up with 87 for $1.98. ( thats been the lowest ever since the cv19) go 1 mile and its 2.15 to 2.39/49. i havent checked what diesel is but the last one was at $3.29. so for me its not worth it.

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
I love that we all have a choice of engines again. All have their strong points.
I've also had many Jeeps in the past. My first vehicle I owned just out of high school (1980)was a 1963 Willys CJ-5 with a Buick V-8. Ever since, I have missed that power on demand.
No Jeep has done that again. Now comes the diesel. Then comes Sarge Green.
Had to have it and I love it. This thing is so much more fun than ALL my new Jeeps I've had.

I am again a HappyJeeper!

IMG_1312.jpeg

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I think a diesel is something you either want or you don’t. Personally, I don’t try to justify that decision based on fuel savings or whether reliability has already been proven or not.

I wanted one since 2014 after buying a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I became hooked on the power delivery and how relaxed the towing experience became.

Granted, I only have about 60K miles on the Ram, but have not had problems with it like some other’s have had. And that’s the old gen2. I expect the gen3 to have “fixed” those problems the gen2 are reported to have.

In my opinion, both these diesels are a pleasure to drive. We have the 3.6 in a 2018 JK, Recon, and that works fine too. But it’s mpg kind of sucks. And you need more rpm of course, to make things happen. That one all stock, averages during summer months, about 18mpg. Thus far (only have 1300 miles on it), the diesel JL w/35” is averaging 25-26 for same use. As a percentage, that’s a big difference, especially considering the tire and ride height differences.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I love that we all have a choice of engines again. All have their strong points.
I've also had many Jeeps in the past. My first vehicle I owned just out of high school (1980)was a 1963 Willys CJ-5 with a Buick V-8. Ever since, I have missed that power on demand.
Had to have it and I love it. This thing is so much more fun than ALL my new Jeeps I've had.

IMG_1312.jpeg
Is that a 3.0L in Sarge Green? Looks awesome.

Sponsored

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Ok I am just trying to stop the Turbo fuel is more expensive fallacy. This forum is full of Turbo haters that spread false rumors (politician style) about the turbo presenting them as fact. It is as bad/ silly as the Anti-Vaxers that still quote that false report that tried to tie vaccines to Autism.

People don't buy the diesel for just the economy it is for the torque AND mileage.
Hey think about all the money you'll save on not having to re-gear for big-ass tires.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU

Jeep Wrangler JL Have an EcoDiesel JL Sahara for the week...some observations. IMG_1312
So do you attribute all the happiness to the diesel or just the new Jeep? Did you have the 3.6V6 before this one?

R

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Jeep Wrangler JL Have an EcoDiesel JL Sahara for the week...some observations. IMG_1312
Great lookin’ Jeep, Eric! My first Jeep was also a CJ-5 with a Buick V8 (and a whole lotta other custom stuff). I still kinda miss that one, but these JLs (regardless of the engine/trans you choose) are great machines!

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So do you attribute all the happiness to the diesel or just the new Jeep? Did you have the 3.6V6 before this one?

R
The new Jeep is always good! I have always missed the power of my first Jeep.
The old V-8 would light up the tires starting in second gear. This diesel seems to try to spin tires just a bit faster than you are going....if that makes sense. It pulls your head back when you step on it!

And I did have the 3.6 (and the 3.8). Loved the 3.6 much better than the 3.8. Love the 3.0 much better than the 3.6. And this is my first automatic. Always had a clutch.

Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
The new Jeep is always good! I have always missed the power of my first Jeep.
The old V-8 would light up the tires starting in second gear. This diesel seems to try to spin tires just a bit faster than you are going....if that makes sense. It pulls your head back when you step on it!

And I did have the 3.6 (and the 3.8). Loved the 3.6 much better than the 3.8. Love the 3.0 much better than the 3.6. And this is my first automatic. Always had a clutch.
really, I’m toying with the idea of an auto as well. I’ve always had manuals. I feel kinda bad getting an auto ...like I’m betraying the car gods. Lol. Do you miss the manual?

3.6 has a great warranty and the diesel not so much. Is this a concern for you? I’d love the diesel. Everyone who has it usually has said they have no regrets but having expensive Range Rover repairs I don’t wanna wind up with expensive diesel repairs either. I ask because there’s all this stuff in the Ram forums and all, and how the EGR clogs up, Im just finding it hard to get a clear unbiased opinion on the motor!

R

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
really, I’m toying with the idea of an auto as well. I’ve always had manuals. I feel kinda bad getting an auto ...like I’m betraying the car gods. Lol. Do you miss the manual?

3.6 has a great warranty and the diesel not so much. Is this a concern for you? I’d love the diesel. Everyone who has it usually has said they have no regrets but having expensive Range Rover repairs I don’t wanna wind up with expensive diesel repairs either. I ask because there’s all this stuff in the Ram forums and all, and how the EGR clogs up, Im just finding it hard to get a clear unbiased opinion on the motor!

R
I'm not too concerned with longevity with this. I have a company truck that I drive to and for work, so the Jeep sits in the garage until I can take it out.
My '13 JKUR I sold in 2019 had 15'000 miles on it.
I am not missing the manual yet.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
In my area this doesn’t happen often. But while out for a motorcycle ride today, found these fuel prices in Plainview, MN.

Jeep Wrangler JL Have an EcoDiesel JL Sahara for the week...some observations. 00A945DE-CDEF-46A5-856D-73A00DF97BC2

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Diesel is still cheaper than 87 in the GTA I’ve not seen that for at least a decade.

sdiver68

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4XE, Tesla M3LR, Nissan Sentra
Occupation
Management Consultant/Small Business Owner
The only real reason for diesel is for towing, IMHO.
Sponsored