Sponsored

Have an EcoDiesel JL Sahara for the week...some observations.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Have a 2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited EcoDiesel on loan from FCA this week for the purpose of review (long story but I've been doing vehicle reviews for 15 years now and average about 40 vehicles I drive a year for review for a week at a time). Just a coincidence I happen to have a Wrangler of my own but it's nice to be able to compare the two.

Diesel notes so far - Averaging 26.8 mpg with 25% city and 75% 80mph driving. Gas mileage is incredible on the highway but isn’t much better than my Pentastar (Red one) in the city driving scenarios. Diesels reward consistency. The extra torque is nice on the highway for passing. Steering is much quicker (14.3:1 ratio in the Diesel) than in my Rubicon. Remember your ROI though as diesel is much more expensive than regular gasoline, and the initial cost of the diesel over the gas engines. Don't buy the EcoDiesel for fuel savings alone.

Acceleration is not noticeably quicker than in my Pentastar. There's a weight penalty for the diesel and a gearing advantage for the Rubi at play here. The programming is also tuned for efficiency from a stop, but seems to be much more responsive from a roll. The engine is very clearly a diesel. It's loud, even with the extra sound dampening. This won't bother most but it's worth noting the diesel clatter is very apparent.

The extra weight is noticeable under braking and cornering. Actually really noticeable under hard braking. Ride is noticeably firmer with the increased spring rates (10%). Bumps are much more pronounced. Sky one touch top is really nice to open quickly but the road noise with it closed is almost like driving with the freedom panels off in a hardtop.

Still have a few more days with it to get more notes on paper. Will update on some final thoughts after my week is up with it.

f3kf1314sV10qHoIxX5IaKydx6K129SwPWjpCFXFIwL-5IiEqcM9iOPpa5aBAdsV7dgMIvP-tJQMEUPl8A=w1278-h959-no.jpg

KqJqDzk2VoPrX6IolC3DSn-X8kIIHzMXw-4kgFLpcknEBwiPIwqeotR9IY5AD8Cz0x8KzOWZsrayX4Ai-w=w1278-h959-no.jpg

LkqjDs8g06FuDL30vWPNUigvYRRf8S9B-jJbWnexqLMPRWAX7s6GEQpON3afJj_JQNXLlcreUKjgo6W8P4=w1278-h959-no.jpg

1S1TXWLgfVI3YUJFPe_xTG7o-kuGhDUhm7atbG22Npyu6eyw6jScDSxjTJog9xFVL_DJ_L0DaMryxESXW0=w1278-h959-no.jpg

sCZ-6f3z4XEsmkZ1ryZHiVzuNabbq2FYqp7wZ_Ya67Xjr64LvXPUiDF2l7FFz_Uo-Yi6N1477XVAUp_e1Y=w1278-h959-no.jpg

83s0edthV4X5dUEYPJKNDkBW8tXlkft3EO5KbCi-fKv-omYOK7p5mbtgIlXRyfv-GnsFcI4gn3cH-zvNvo=w1278-h959-no.jpg

HvnROpRLBgG64cRfWKHh92q-RsB39yOB2UHFKnE5V-8LlyNnslzIbW4z4ml9X8UABkz8AZolc_97cC-hwY=w1278-h959-no.jpg
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Remember your ROI though as diesel is much more expensive than regular gasoline, and the initial cost of the diesel over the gas engines. Don't buy the EcoDiesel for fuel savings alone.
??? Definitely agree with the comments about the upfront cost of the diesel being a serious consideration, but fuel price? My local Costco's prices as of 6 hours ago (via Gasbuddy):
Regular - $2.49
Premium - $2.99
Diesel - $2.49

Same price as fuel for V-6 and fifty cents cheaper than the premium required for the 2.0T. And that's with Cook County/Illinois crazy high fuel taxes thrown in to boot. So "much more expensive"? Not "buying" it. :)

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Thank you for posting this review. Nice job - and I'm looking forward to the follow-up.

Hunter
^^^ Quoted for truth!!

Well written article! I am curious to know on a single tank of diesel fuel, how many miles from full to right before the reserve light kicks on?

OP
OP
TXRubicon

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
regular here in Texas is hovering at $1.95 currently. Diesel is around $2.50.

??? Definitely agree with the comments about the upfront cost of the diesel being a serious consideration, but fuel price? My local Costco's prices as of 6 hours ago (via Gasbuddy):
Regular - $2.49
Premium - $2.99
Diesel - $2.49

Same price as fuel for V-6 and fifty cents cheaper than the premium required for the 2.0T. And that's with Cook County/Illinois crazy high fuel taxes thrown in to boot. So "much more expensive"? Not "buying" it. :)

Sponsored

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Regular - $2.49
Premium - $2.99
Diesel - $2.49

Fuel prices vary significantly across the country. Currently diesel is at least .50 cents more / gallon in my area.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TXRubicon

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh this most certainly isn't my job, just something I've done for fun the last 15 years or so. Helps me scratch my itches of driving all kinds of cars :)

Wonderful review, and wow, talk about a dream job!
Ha! I just took the diesel into my possession this past Thursday, so I'm making my observations as fast as I can. I want to make sure they are honest and accurate :)

Great write-up and information @TXRubicon. But I feel like you've been holding back on us for quite some time! Now I'm angry with you. :CWL:

Dadgummit

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited -- 1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible
Regular - $2.49
Premium - $2.99
Diesel - $2.49

FYI. It was established a long time ago that the Turbo does not require premium. FCA says it runs just fine on regular.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
regular here in Texas is hovering at $1.95 currently. Diesel is around $2.50.
So the same price as Premium, then - the same price as needed for the 2.0T.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI. It was established a long time ago that the Turbo does not require premium. FCA says it runs just fine on regular.
All motors can run "just fine" on lower octane fuel than what they are supposed to run - modern systems will retard the ignition to accommodate, with a lower fuel economy (and performance) as a result. If the point is fuel economy, though, then apples aren't being compared to apples. As I said in my original post the real economy question is the $4-5K (depending upon how one looks at it) extra required for the diesel engine up front - which, IMO, makes it not a good option if the desire is purely one of the economics of driving; the gas V-6 will always be cheaper. For those that desire it, though, the extended range and/or the extra torque *may* be worth it. I just tire of the canard of "diesel fuel is way more expensive" being constantly repeated as the economic inhibitor when it's really the initial investment and potentially the ongoing higher maintenance cost.

Dadgummit

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited -- 1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible
All motors can run "just fine" on lower octane fuel than what they are supposed to run - modern systems will retard the ignition to accommodate, with a lower fuel economy (and performance) as a result. If the point is fuel economy, though, then apples aren't being compared to apples. As I said in my original post the real economy question is the $4-5K (depending upon how one looks at it) extra required for the diesel engine up front - which, IMO, makes it not a good option if the desire is purely one of the economics of driving; the gas V-6 will always be cheaper. For those that desire it, though, the extended range and/or the extra torque *may* be worth it. I just tire of the canard of "diesel fuel is way more expensive" being constantly repeated as the economic inhibitor when it's really the initial investment and potentially the ongoing higher maintenance cost.
Ok I am just trying to stop the Turbo fuel is more expensive fallacy. This forum is full of Turbo haters that spread false rumors (politician style) about the turbo presenting them as fact. It is as bad/ silly as the Anti-Vaxers that still quote that false report that tried to tie vaccines to Autism.

People don't buy the diesel for just the economy it is for the torque AND mileage.
Sponsored