Sponsored

Have all the JL problems been worked out for '21?

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
The number one issue that I have had so far is the random backup lines with the 8.4" screen. Drives me crazy and Jeep has a fix, but I have to wait for my "special: code version, as it cannot be OTA.

I have the problem with my new 21 JLR. Would u mind elaborating on the fix from Jeep? Thx
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I have a '20 with 7k miles. No issues yet (of course now that i said that ...)

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willyā€™s Unlimited
Having lived with my '18 2dr JL for almost three years I've been though all the issues the community had with the first year run of JL's - failed track bar, drag link, steering box, limited slip axle, electrical glitches, etc. How are the new '21s? Are all the previous issues fixed? GF is considering one and woud hate to see her have the problems I had.
Haha lol šŸ˜‚

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle 80th Anniversary - Diesel
Welcome to the "No backup lines club" or random backup lines. Some have made a drinking game out of it if they show up or not. There is a long thread about it at :
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-camera-issue.3500/post-1562786

A reboot of the Uconnect system always fixes it, until it does not.

But bottom line is that Jeep is rolling out the fix Over The Air OTA for some, while others will have to go into the dealer. The dealer option is not available yet, but they say soon (Guess soon is Q3). I am a bit perturbed about it, as the progress has been slow and mystifying.

Soon I hope.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
This. And forums seem like the place to complain about it. You can go into any online forum and talk yourself out of almost anything. Even socks.
Thanks Pal. I just walked outta the shoe shop with another pair of flip flops. Went in for socks!

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
To answer your question more directly vehicle issues are completely random.
I'm not sure about completely random. 2018s certainly had lots of steering issues resulting in multiple versions of steering pumps, stabilizers, TSBs, etc. While 2021s have those issues largely sorted. i don't think those were random. Those were real design issues, that finally got corrected. A bad steering on a 2021 may be random. But not on a 2018 - that was endemic.

I'm not aware of any problem that was "introduced" with the 2021 2.0T/A8 models that were not present in the 2018-2020 models. So I think overall it is an improvement. Some problems are still there, but several were improved.

rrubbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
WELL...finally happened. The back up lines disappeared. I am in not hurry to fix, so I will wait till something else pops up or with till an oil change.

Abe

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
There is never going to be a single model year of any vehicle without issues. If you dig, you'll find dirt. To answer your question more directly vehicle issues are completely random. A 2018 was more likely to have issues than a 2021 or 2022. That doesn't mean you can't have a flawless 2018 and a bad 2022 though. A lot of this is random and that goes for any vehicle or brand.
I'm not sure about completely random. 2018s certainly had lots of steering issues resulting in multiple versions of steering pumps, stabilizers, TSBs, etc. While 2021s have those issues largely sorted. i don't think those were random. Those were real design issues, that finally got corrected. A bad steering on a 2021 may be random. But not on a 2018 - that was endemic.
As noted already, obviously certain model years have higher percentages or chances of issues. The point is whether an owner individually gets an issue or issues with their vehicle is completely random. The large majority of 2018's don't have steering issues. Whether an owner had steering issues or not was completely up to chance. If something is up to chance, it's random.

Overtightening the oil filter on a JK or JL 3.6 and cracking the Oil Cooler Housing is a better example of an endemic issue that will happen under the right circumstance.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Would you mind advising what procedure you used when pulling the steering box fuse to reset it? Did you pull it with the engine running or pull it and then start the engine, etc.? And, what kind of improvement did you notice? Thanks.
I was getting some wandering and having to make many steering corrections with the wheel being to the left to go straight. The reset procedure helped quite a bit.
Edit- I'm at home now, here is the post. Thanks to @californiajeeping for the info.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1557789

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

I'm not aware of any problem that was "introduced" with the 2021 2.0T/A8 models that were not present in the 2018-2020 models. So I think overall it is an improvement. Some problems are still there, but several were improved.
The JL like most other cars and vehicles should get progressively better QC wise with every newer model year. Normally production kinks get worked out as they build more. Parts get revised, etc. Last year and this year might be exceptions? Hopefully not. I wonder if some of the vehicles coming off lines during the pandemic and shortages will have more or less issues. Lines start and stop at irregular intervals for parts disruptions. The normal assembly line cadence is interrupted. Not just on the automotive assembly lines. The supplier parts lines also.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I wonder if some of the vehicles coming off lines during the pandemic and shortages will have more or less issues. Lines start and stop at irregular intervals for parts disruptions. The normal assembly line cadence is interrupted. Not just on the automotive assembly lines. The supplier parts lines also.
Well, my Jeep was built at the height of the pandemic - Jan/2021 - where the country and mid-west states were breaking all records on cases, hospitalizations and deaths.

So far so good. No issues that I could not sort myself (loose fuses and one ground wire, loose ball-joints, a spongy brake pedal).

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The large majority of 2018's don't have steering issues.
Is that really true? (not challenging, just asking) Is there a finding that the "large majority" had perfect/good steering on 2018s?

Given 5 pump redesigns, 5 steering stabilizer redesigns, trackbar redesign, welding recall, and the associated multiple TSBs, it would seem to me that Jeep really had problems affecting a large share of the 2018s.

champlification

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S 2 Door
Well, my '21 JL is very slowly leaking transmission fluid, I believe... Wife is gonna be out of town for the next week, so gotta wait for her to get back before I can get it into the shop to check it out.

2021 2 Door Sport S with 2k miles.

Last edited:

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Hereā€™s my list of issues with my 2021 80th anniversary. Nothing major, but they definitely havenā€™t worked all the kinks out.

- brake squeak. I fixed it myself by removing the shims and pads and greasing everything

- ball joint clicking. Fixed myself by torquing castle nut. Iā€™ll eventually just upgrade the ball joints if I keep this jeep long term.

- paint issues. No corrosion (yet, knock on wood), just missed spots under the tub rail and around the hinges. I wonā€™t ask the dealer to fix it unless itā€™s starts to bubble.

- missing grid lines/back up camera issues. Was real bad when I first got it in November, much less frequent now. Not sure if a recent over the air update has installed and fixed the issue or not.

- steering wheel creaks between 11 and 1 oā€™clock position. Havenā€™t addressed this yet because Iā€™m hesitant to unplug the airbags to remove the steering wheel to grease whatever is making noise in there.

So far though, nothing major has popped up that has made me really upset. Considering my 2018 just stopped working one day and spent 90 days in the shop with no resolution (which resulted in me trading it in), Iā€™ll consider these just small inconveniences.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
'21 and '22 will have no less issues than the '18 in my opinion from all the posts I've read on here. My '18 has been great!
Sponsored