Sponsored

Have all the JL problems been worked out for '21?

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
2019 JLU, 25000 miles, no problems

2021 JLUR, 6000 miles, replaced rear wheel speed sensor.

Very happy with both.
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Having lived with my '18 2dr JL for almost three years I've been though all the issues the community had with the first year run of JL's - failed track bar, drag link, steering box, limited slip axle, electrical glitches, etc. How are the new '21s? Are all the previous issues fixed? GF is considering one and woud hate to see her have the problems I had.
It was said early on, if there are any problems you'll find them on the forums.
That said, my 2020 just turned 11,000 miles and has been flawless. A couple minor quibbles like a weak latch on the soft top and some missing screws in the seat back. Both easily fixed by me.
The steering box is sometimes vague, but pulling the fuse to reset it seems to help. I bought the revised box and haven't bothered replacing it yet.
It seems the factory has it's good days and bad...don't buy one built on Friday? LOL

THorner

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR Diesel, 79 J10, 06 XLR, Ducati 999 & ST4
Occupation
Retired
My December 17 build 2018 went through 4 steering dampers to correct dreaded death wobble. Occasionally Android Auto acts up. Other than that I have had 74,000 trouble free miles. I'm hoping the 21 I have on order is as good to me.

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle 80th Anniversary - Diesel
The number one issue that I have had so far is the random backup lines with the 8.4" screen. Drives me crazy and Jeep has a fix, but I have to wait for my "special: code version, as it cannot be OTA. I have two a JL (3.6L) and a JLU (3.0 eco diesel). I have had a few random issues with the blind spot detectors not working, but a restart has fixed it (twice so far). The diesel uses a bit of oil during break-in, but I have read this is normal. 3K miles on the diesel and 2K miles on the 3.6. This is a great group and a good resource for issues, so I will be posting issues as they come up.

I am learning and experimenting with the new features on the XM radio and favorites. VERY cool! Props to Uconnect team for those. It has changed my radio listening habits!

I do appreciate @JeepCares, as they monitor this group and help resolve issues as they come up. It is admirable for them to do this. Thank you, Courtney!

Very happy with the vehicle's versatility, ride, and performance. The backup lines issue is madding and almost comical. There is another thread on this if you are interested.

Sponsored

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
The steering box is sometimes vague, but pulling the fuse to reset it seems to help. I bought the revised box and haven't bothered replacing it yet.
It seems the factory has it's good days and bad...don't buy one built on Friday? LOL
Would you mind advising what procedure you used when pulling the steering box fuse to reset it? Did you pull it with the engine running or pull it and then start the engine, etc.? And, what kind of improvement did you notice? Thanks.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s all relative. After my ‘94 YJ anything is gonna seem reliable. So far on my 2019 JL I have:
  • Had new steering box installed
  • Had radio replaced simply to fix the compass
  • Had to mess with the driver seat MOLLE sliding down, exposing the guts of the seat
  • Had a RMS leak fixed (maybe, jury is still out)
  • Had something connected to the serpentine belt (probably the alternator) create a horrible whine, haven’t fixed it yet
  • Had my windshield crack when I turned the heat on it in cold weather (I suspect a tiny rock started it tho)
  • A few other problems I’m forgetting
  • Had the backup lines disappear a few times

And I still consider it more-or-less reliable. It gets me where I need to go in relative safety (unlike the YJ which was a rolling death trap)
    so yeah, a new 2021 will probably do just fine for you if your measuring stick is a quarter century old jeep.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
My 2019 JLR 2.0T w/ eTorque was problem free until about 15K-20K miles.

A few broken windshields.
Doors were very wavy.
Did the steering dampener recall.
Should have done the steering box.
Replace a driver seat because it was making a knocking noise.
Replaced a passenger side power mirror.
Replaced a bad rear shock. Took over a month to get the part.
Replace a Proximity antenna for rear gate.
They replaced the 8.4" head unit 2 times.

Excellent drivetrain. No issues with the 2.0 engine, eTorque system, or 8-speed transmission. The engine ran great and never used oil in the time I owned it. The eTorque worked flawlessly. I averaged about 20-21 mpg combined with a lot of bumper to bumper traffic thrown in.

By far my biggest problem was the Infotainment head unit. LOTS UConnect 4 and radio problems. I got radio error codes the dealer confirmed. I have a LOT of videos of the problems happening. The back up camera would get stuck in a blue screen. Back up camera was very dark at night. Radio and all other infotainment controls locked up. Most serious was the radio not turning OFF even after the ignition was confirmed OFF and the doors locked. Had to pull the radio fuse to get the head unit to turn OFF or it would drain the battery. The dealer worked on the radio problems for a unbelievablly long time. The dealer had my JLR for over 5 weeks for just the UConnect 4 issues. They replaced the radio 2 times. Most of the problems were fixed with the last head unit. They think glitches are software related? There is supposedly a software upgrade soon.

Thankfully used Wrangler values shot up to unbelievable values and I was able to sell my JLR for more than what I paid for it. The plan is to buy a 2022 whenever they are available and hope for the best. Unless something else catches my attention? I would seriously consider the Bronco too but they are way behind with production. I do plan on trying the Bronco. If I can ever find a dealer that actually has one. Lol!

At least I was given a loaner or rental for most of the repairs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rrubbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
Hi... 3000 miles on JLUR and appears ok. I think Jeep should have done something with the steering like a better damper and longer control arm, but they didn't and IMHO it one of the worse steering vehicles I have ever owned. Almost as bad as the 1960 Corvair I learned to drive in. The good news you can correct yourself and makes a big difference. The wind, and noise is expected, but I understand it is better the previous Jeeps.

Abe

Aramos3

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Millwork Estimator
2021 JLUR v6 E/Torque 10k miles 5 month ownership zero issues. Driven hard but maintain by myself. Looking forward to racking the miles trouble free (fingers crossed)

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I have a 2019 JLU with new steering box installed. Reached 10,000 mile and one of the things I did after the steering box, was a Fox steering dampener.
I really like the response, Jeep Cares gave me, on this forum, never had another car company respond like them.
Nothing major so far, changed axels oils, transfer case, five oil changes, and Fox shocks at 10,000.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
'20 2 door sport s 2.0t. Just under 18k miles and has been a joy to own. It gets a ton of use. My daily driver and part time work truck. I'm a postal contractor and use it a few times a week on the smaller routes. Which means lots of starts and stops in the 100+ degree heat for several hours. Gets taken off road regularly on, say, 1 to 6 rated trails. My commute is 25 freeway miles each way and she is rock steady at any speed I'm willing to go. The turbo in the 2 door is a rocket, with an average mpg in the 21 -24 range

And it still puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Have all the JL problems been worked out for '21? IMG_20200906_161052_987
Sponsored