Sponsored

Have all the JL problems been worked out for '21?

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I decided to pull the trigger once the finally improved steering box was made standard for 2021.

My 2021 with 4K miles has been really good. I had clicking in the front ent. Tightening the ball joints greatly improved, but did not completely solved the problem.

The only unresolved problem that I worry about are the locker position sensor on the Rubicon axles. That is a major unresolved problem, which currently requires axle replacement to be fixed under warranty. I'm betting the sensor will be available by the time I hit this problem.

Everything else that is unresolved (wind noise on A-pillar, defroster cable detaching, etc) are minor, and would not deter me from buying any vehicle.

Overall, the ownership experience of 2021 should be much better for the 2.0T/A8.
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
There is never going to be a single model year of any vehicle without issues. If you dig, you'll find dirt. To answer your question more directly vehicle issues are completely random. A 2018 was more likely to have issues than a 2021 or 2022. That doesn't mean you can't have a flawless 2018 and a bad 2022 though. A lot of this is random and that goes for any vehicle or brand.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
There is never going to be a single model year of any vehicle without issues. If you dig, you'll find dirt. To answer your question more directly vehicle issues are completely random. A 2018 was more likely to have issues than a 2021 or 2022. That doesn't mean you can't have a flawless 2018 and a bad 2022 though. A lot of this is random and that goes for any vehicle or brand.
I was talking to a neighbour who was a long-time mechanic for Honda and Toyota. I jokingly said to him that it must be boring, as all those cars ever need is oil changes, with their reliability. He said that every model (and often each model year) had at least 2-3 common issues, so even when they would fix one thing, another would occur. He joked that it was their way of keeping dealer mechanics employed.

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
FUSES

I think that sums it up, If fuses cannot be seated properly after ALL the discussions/complaints that have taken place over the years....don't have high expectations and you won't be disappointed 😉

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I have a 18 and 20, all fuses were seated correctly, maybe I got lucky.

I would think the pattern problems have been corrected, ie poor welds, updated track bar and SS and the iron steering box with updated parts.

Other issues like paint and electrical glitches, who knows.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Just as a data point my 2019 V6 has been great. No issues. Love it

Reactions: VNT

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
I had no problems with my 18 other than the steering box.
I hope my 21 is as good...

Rubicon1951

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dslkjfl'aj
My '21 3.6L Rubicon with 300 miles on it had 3 consecutive warm spring morning cold starts with galloping idles and then ran fine. Fourth morning did the same but stalled out. Got "check engine light" on restart. Took to dealership same day; they kept it 8 days. Dealership followed correction flowchart for codes the computer spit out. The flowchart did not correct the problem. Tech called FCA in Auburn Hills, not much help. Technician checked fuel pressure at the fuel rail, was 29psi versus spec of 60psi. Replaced in-tank fuel pump and fuel control module. Has been ok since getting it back.
Now, I have no faith that the truck won't quit on me unexpectedly. Nice feeling to have with a new vehicle.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My 2020 3.6L is generally fine except for my disdain of the ESS battery implementation. Once in a while my proximity locks don’t like to work but that’s really it so far. I was also among those that had zero (and I do mean zero) steering issues with the aluminum box.

I would guess that the 2021’s (4 years into the cycle) have most things resolved and are likely ‘more stable’ than your 2018. There is, of course, the issue of a chip scarcity right now. And, knowing Jeep, they will source a few hundred thousand from Wang’s Chip Supply in Kokomo. I’m sure that they will work just fine.

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
My 2021 diesel was down for almost 2 months at ~6600 miles for an oil leak. Then overheated the week it finally came home. Occasional front axle locker error due to tweaked connector at differential (I think). Relatively trouble-free last 4000 miles.

Deleted member 59098

I have 15k and no problems. I just potted the locker sensors a couple weeks ago. The outside air thermometer is a little glitchy showing like 57 degrees when it’s in the 90s sometimes. CarPlay doesn’t always connect when the phone is plugged in. No big deal.

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
It’s across the board though….all manufacturers have their issues. Any car after 2003 has had quality issues vs their older versions. Everyone is taking on Microsoft’s model….if it goes bad, buy the new version.

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
Having lived with my '18 2dr JL for almost three years I've been though all the issues the community had with the first year run of JL's - failed track bar, drag link, steering box, limited slip axle, electrical glitches, etc. How are the new '21s? Are all the previous issues fixed? GF is considering one and woud hate to see her have the problems I had.
We only have 500 miles on our JL, so far it's GREAT. Freeway, county and forest roads...
Sponsored