Sponsored

Have all the issues ironed out? Welds, steering etc etc

Artvandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi I searched and didn’t see a definitive answer. I’m looking at buying a new JL Rubi and I’m wondering if the issues have been ironed out with the 2019 or if I should wait for them to be addressed with the 2020 coming. Welds, infotainment issues, steering, and whatever else etc.

Also, what’s your personal preference... the 3.6 or turbo? I thought I had seen some concerns with that too. Thanks for your time
Sponsored

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
Hi I searched and didn’t see a definitive answer. I’m looking at buying a new JL Rubi and I’m wondering if the issues have been ironed out with the 2019 or if I should wait for them to be addressed with the 2020 coming. Welds, infotainment issues, steering, and whatever else etc.

Also, what’s your personal preference... the 3.6 or turbo? I thought I had seen some concerns with that too. Thanks for your time
I have a 2018 2 Door Wrangler Sport 2.0L Turbo, and I have fortunately had no weld, infotainment/reverse camera, or steering issues with mine. I have had mine for about a year and have around 12,000 miles on it (and done minor modifications including tubular front and rear bumpers, matching tubular sidesteps, and fenders).

I did have an issue with mine making a rattle/click noise when decelerating at low RPMs, but after taking it to the dealership (twice for a second opinion just to be safe) I found out that it was actually a necessary noise relating to the differential and that a grommet to the cover that muffles the noise to the cabin had fallen off which is why I could hear it (so luckily it was an easy fix while under warranty). Haven't had the issue again since. I also had to have the TSB flash update for the cooling fan -- it was really (jet engine) loud. The TSB took no time and completely fixed that issue as well... also under warranty. As for the 3.6 vs 2.0... I LOVE my turbo! I am really happy with it so far. It is zippy and fun. I do opt to put premium fuel in it for better performance, but I also average 26 mpg.

Obviously I do have the lower trim, but no real issues. Coming to the forums can give you major paranoia because pretty much all of the posts are made to discuss, and fix, whatever issues Jeepers are having... but I do think that several people have enjoyed their JLs with few to no issues. I love mine!

IMG-1594.JPG

OP
OP

Artvandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for all the details. Cool of you man!

OP
OP

Artvandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Anyone have a strong recommendation either way for the 2.0 vs 3.6? I’m either getting a Rubicon or Sahara automatic.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
I just bought a 2019 but there are no steering issues or weld issues with mine and I did a thorough check. I had the 7" uconnect crash once using Carplay but I don't know if it was my phone or the headunit.

In terms of 2.0 and 3.6 I would say if you are concerned about reliability, maintenance, etc the 3.6 is probably the safer bet it has a much longer track record. In time the 2.0 may prove to be just as reliable, etc. I originally thought I wanted the 2.0 but test drove the 3.6 back to back and, honestly, they both had pros and cons and in the end the power felt very close so I went with the 3.6.

jfisher

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sahara
Anyone have a strong recommendation either way for the 2.0 vs 3.6? I’m either getting a Rubicon or Sahara automatic.
I drove both last week and the 2.0 is definitely quicker, but not enough to make any kind of major difference. Normal driving with both engines was very similar feeling imo. We ended up going with the 2.0, but moreso because it had all of the options, color combination and pricing we were looking for. I don't even think we have 500 miles on it yet, but so far my wife loves the thing. Ours has a build date of 07/19 so it must have just came off a truck when we bought it last week. I looked at several others at other dealerships that had January and February build dates.
Sponsored