Hauk Off-Road Snorkel - Install and Review

Jeb22

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (White)
Am most likely adding this set up to mine as well. Im asking this because I thought I had read somewhere that the "mushroom", aka Snorkel head, interferes with the windshield washer spray when cleaning the windshield. Has this been an issue? Its definitely not a make or break thing for me, just wondering. Also, could u elaborate on the breather extensions into the air box. Did both front and rear axle breather lines route into it or just the front? Thanx
Sponsored

schneesb

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I am looking at this install on my JLU. However had previously added the Genesis Dual Battery modification. Anyone out there attempted to instal.this with the Genesis system - if so does the plumbing clear the battery cage?

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
I am looking at this install on my JLU. However had previously added the Genesis Dual Battery modification. Anyone out there attempted to instal.this with the Genesis system - if so does the plumbing clear the battery cage?
I have the Genesis installed and have the Hauk waiting to be installed. I've tried the main pipe and I _believe_ it should work although might be quite tight. I emailed both Hauk and Genesis the same question, Hauk said it should work, Genesis said it will not.

I will install it in the next few days and post back here.

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have the Genesis installed and have the Hauk waiting to be installed. I've tried the main pipe and I _believe_ it should work although might be quite tight. I emailed both Hauk and Genesis the same question, Hauk said it should work, Genesis said it will not.

I will install it in the next few days and post back here.
Installed today the Hauk snorkel over the Genesis dual battery - had to remove one bolt (out of 4) that holds the battery tray together, otherwise works well. Will aim to post pictures tomorrow.

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Random question. Is the prefilter easily removable? For those odd times I might want to fold down the windshield?

Sponsored

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Random question. Is the prefilter easily removable? For those odd times I might want to fold down the windshield?
I tried hard to remove the mushroom and/or the pipe that connects the mushroom to a more solid 'corner' piece, but could not. I want to adjust some of the trimming to make it tighter. There are no bolts, I just could not pull it off.

Presumably if you are able to pull it off, you will be able to lower the windshield.

ZFG

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sting Gray Rubicon - Azazel. Previous '52 Willys, '81 CJ, '71 FJ, '93 ZJ, '96 ZJ.
Did you get around to taking those pictures? I just installed the Genesis battery kit and was trying to figure out if the Hauk or the new Rugged Ridge snorkel would fit or if so which would fit better. They are both quite similar except the RR works with your existing airbox instead of replacing it. The Hauk seems pretty bullet proof but the RR seems to install a bit cleaner. Plus with the RR it has both the high and the low mount, using the low mount allows you to lower the windshield without changing any thing and you switch to the high mount with just 4 bolts. I included the RR install vid below JIC you haven't seen this model yet. Still torn on which way to go. Steel vs plastic etc.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Installed today the Hauk snorkel over the Genesis dual battery - had to remove one bolt (out of 4) that holds the battery tray together, otherwise works well. Will aim to post pictures tomorrow.
Did you happen to get the pictures for this?

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up! I'm interested in knowing more about the breather extension kit, please. Any tips other than the sealant on the box? Did the directions suggest routing for the tubes, if so did you following or modify? And if possible could you take some pix of the connection points?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sponsored

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Hey All,

Today I installed the Hauk Off-Road River RaiderSnorkel. I also installed their “Smilin Bobs” breather extension kit and ran it all into the air box.

I’d say the install took me around 3 hours. It’s super straight forward, the only hiccups I encountered were putting in the piece under the cowl in. You’ve got to raise the top plastic next to the cowl almost to the point you’re going to break it.

- The instructions come in color, are really solid.
- It’s a super tight fit, I’m not worried about any of the connections leaking.
- The smiling bob’s inlet to the air box is a little iffy so I put a clear silicone on both sides of the foam seal for peace of mind.

(PS - I cleaned up all of the wires for all lights etc in the very end)

Thanks for looking everyone!

Jeep Wrangler JL Hauk Off-Road Snorkel - Install and Review hauk

First thing was to remove the stock air box. It was only a bolt on the left side (when facing the grill). Remove that one long bolt and the whole air box will pull straight up.

Next was installing the bracket for the River Raider air box. I don't have very thin arms/forearms so this was a little tricky. You might want to prepare yourself to drop the nuts a couple times here LOL. It's pretty simple once you get them started.

Since I decided to go ahead with their (Hauk Off-Road) "Smilin Bob's" breather extension kit I did that next. I put the attachment on the air box and PLACED SOME CLEAR SEALANT BETWEEN THE RUBBER WASHER AND AIR BOX. That's probably the only place I see sealant really being needed.

This is a better angle of where the fitting comes out of the side of the air box. It's really close to the battery. I was able to run the main hose (5/8") between that little reservoir and the battery. Fit like a glove.

Next was cutting. You pull the foam piece off that's right by it. It just pulls right off, seems to just be for noise? Here you can see where I had just cut the cowl piece. I used my dremel

Just making super clear where I cut.

Next you cut the little plastic piece. I used my dremel.

Once it's cut off.

Last view here. Just a further back shot of what it will look like when you've cut both out.

Again...

The work station. I had my ipad in front of me most of the day double checking my steps etc.

Time for the windshield wipers to come off!

Then you gently pry up the plastic piece that rests under the wipers. Once you get one corner up they start to pop loose pretty quick. Just go slow.

Next was cutting again. 3' Hole Saw and the provided template. I won't lie, I used tape under the paper, all over the edges of the paper of that template. I wanted to make sure that at no point did it move until I was done with a perfect hole.

Here's the close up of the corner piece placed in with the plastic trim in. Looking back I should have got a picture of me trying to finagle this thing into place. COMPLETELY UNBOLT YOUR COWL and take off. The instructions stay to lift up but it all feels like it is going to snap off. Particularly the area right behind the hood hinge. Be really careful with that part.

This is after you get the corner fitting piece into place. Here I also put on the 3" rubber sleeve for the tube to go.

Ew baby! Not gonna lie... This looked every bit as good as I'd hoped it would! It looks menacing!

The finished look after adding the elbow and tightening all hardware.

Finished look from the side.

Showing off the finished product with my KC cyclone under hood lights!

Their website stock photo of parts didn't match what I received. Notice the turned metal piece, mine is all one piece (pic on bottom)

This is a cleaned up view of the finished wiring and Smilin Bob's breather extensions.

Cleaned up wires. They were pretty half ass before. A lot of these installs I've done outdoors in 35 degree or less weather.

Another view with all the wires and install completed.

These are the actual parts that came with the kit. VS the pics. They now weld the snorkel attachment piece. I wrote them and they said that I have the new version. I like it better as far as no water getting in but shoving everything through the cowl area was a pain.

@Petey003 on instagram if you want to see more of Mac N ME.
Awesome install with step by step pics. I was just telling @jeep.generation about your install. Just curious is the engine tube will fit over the Genesis Dual Battery Kit.

OP
OP
Petey003

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAM TRX, 2018 JLUR, 1996 H1 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Commercial Operations (TWF)
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up! I'm interested in knowing more about the breather extension kit, please. Any tips other than the sealant on the box? Did the directions suggest routing for the tubes, if so did you following or modify? And if possible could you take some pix of the connection points?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Hey!

Thanks for hitting me up. I purchased kit from Hauk but wasn't too impressed with the setup. I used parts from it as well as order 3/8" fuel line (25'), 3/8" hose clamps, and 3/8" Brass Barb Splicer Hose Fittings to create the routes I wanted.

The routes are honestly very straight forward. I zip tied to pre-existing wires/hoses etc. Not hard to tuck them away and look neat at the same time. Cutting the breather hose and splicing in was super easy too! Feel free to message me on my Insta too, I see that more often. @Petey003

OP
OP
Petey003

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAM TRX, 2018 JLUR, 1996 H1 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Commercial Operations (TWF)
Vehicle Showcase
Any leaking issues at all?
Hey,

No leaks or anything to date. I've crossed some deep water at off-road parks multiple times at this point.

The pre-filter mushroom top somehow manages to keep my filter clean too. I went 10,000 miles last time before changing and it was still clean! I just changed it out to be safe.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Looks awesome and after debating about the Flowmaster, Mopar, ARB, and rugged ridge I think I’ll be going with this snorkel so I can have my cowl area for lights. Have you checked to see if any water has gotten to the air box during rain storms while driving or any water crossings? Did you get the extension for deeper crossings?
Sponsored