Sponsored

Hatchet Overland has started production - I jumped in line.

utjmac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited 392
I’m all for people coming up with innovative items to expand options for our vehicles. Kudos to you for supporting a new product.

Is this product a full top replacement or are they modifying your factory hardtop?

John

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Ideally, you’d need a second hardtop for when camping. I don’t see myself carrying this thing year round because I otherwise have no roof.

What they could have done however, is make the entry to the tent in the front of the Jeep. That way when you remove the tent, all you have to do is put your freedom panels back-on and the totality of the rear could remain storage area in its entirety.

Last edited:
OP
OP
InVinoVeritasty

InVinoVeritasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Willys and JLU Rubicon
Is this product a full top replacement or are they modifying your factory hardtop?
Modifying. It's a patented design that attaches to the roll cage/frame through 6 attachment points allowing it to slide forward 20 inches along rails when deployed. A couple of pics of the attachment points and brackets below. When down, the top nests around the factory hard top with sides resting in the existing rain gutters. The factory hard top /windows/rear glass all remain, modified by the six attachment points and the rear portal. Rear side windows, rear glass, rear washer/defroster are all preserved, unlike the Ursa Minor, where they must be added back as premium add-ons. It is a really interesting design.

F54D83AF-919C-41ED-96D2-A963757EDBC6.jpeg

5F54349D-11CD-481D-96A6-0C35AD449D8A.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
InVinoVeritasty

InVinoVeritasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t see myself carrying this thing year round
Yep. In that case this product -- like the American Safari JXL, Ursa Minor, and others -- is definitely not for you. Lots of other options out there for camping/overlanding. This one works for us.

Last edited:

Thexr6

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2007 JK Rubi, 2021WL overland
Yeah I don't understand it either. It take me 5 minutes to set up our tent on the ground and about 5 minutes to take it down and pack it up.

Whatever makes people happy. Just not how I like to camp.
We live in bear country. when i camp, its 6 feet above the grizzly buffet.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
For my own information, but why are folks sleeping on their roofs these days?
They think theyre safer from wildlife. So they sleep better. It is a placebo effect. But it works.

It also blows my mind how people spends thousands to still sleep inside a tent made out the same polyester ground tents are made off. Then they claim the comfort of the 2inch foam mattress. A quality air mattress is more comfortable than a 2inch mat... Some have 4inches I guess. You could buy a 4inch foam mattress that turns into a couch and comes with a carrying case. Weighs less than 20lbs and you can carry that on top of your roof instead.

Sponsored

Thexr6

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2007 JK Rubi, 2021WL overland
OP
OP
InVinoVeritasty

InVinoVeritasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They think theyre safer from wildlife.
Not really, but you seem convinced you know what others think.

By the way, this is a great spot if you ever make it to Alaska and want to see some wildlife. Best halibut fishing I've ever found. And lots of bear. See them daily at waters edge feeding in the early morning. Wife and I were there a few days after this episode. We enjoy disperse camping. We know we are visitors in their neighborhood. No false sense of security here.
https://www.juneauempire.com/news/brown-bear-scare-hungry-bear-breaks-into-lodge-has-to-be-put-down/

ACD98FA0-3398-4FE7-B647-CAD3971DDF65.jpeg

Bohica

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
They think theyre safer from wildlife. So they sleep better. It is a placebo effect. But it works.

It also blows my mind how people spends thousands to still sleep inside a tent made out the same polyester ground tents are made off. Then they claim the comfort of the 2inch foam mattress. A quality air mattress is more comfortable than a 2inch mat... Some have 4inches I guess. You could buy a 4inch foam mattress that turns into a couch and comes with a carrying case. Weighs less than 20lbs and you can carry that on top of your roof instead.
"It also blows my mind"...why do you even care what other people do with their money or how they prefer to overland/camp/whatever. You must have a miserable life if this kind of crap "blows your mind".

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
"It also blows my mind"...why do you even care what other people do with their money or how they prefer to overland/camp/whatever. You must have a miserable life if this kind of crap "blows your mind".
Nah pretty chill life. It is just an expression, not trying to personally attack anyone. Simply an opinion. I am pretty sure I am not the only person who thinks roof top tents are grossly overpriced and overhyped. Have a nice day and enjoy your RTT.
Sponsored