Sponsored

Has the 3.6 oil filter housing been fixed?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not on a JL, but on two town and country vans and a JK we put an engine in. One of the vans leaked again within a week. They don’t sell new gaskets for the kit to mount the oil cooler to the housing, and they’re back ordered all the time.
The various factory configurations and all seem to cloud the issue of what Dorman housing fits the JL. If you use the web configurator, my 2018 JLUR shows as a match, but later years are not. When looking at pix of a factory JL housing vs the Dorman, the cooler appears to have the same bolt pattern.

I think the Dorman housing may fit. But, I know the JL uses a single combination temperature and pressure sensor, where earlier models used 2 separate sensors. Still, the Dorman part has 2 ports, 1/8" NPT and 1/4" NPT, which should accomodate the new single dual function sensor.

For the record, I believe the Dorman part is a diecast aluminum part. The days of zinc diecastings are long gone.
Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Not on a JL, but on two town and country vans and a JK we put an engine in. One of the vans leaked again within a week. They don’t sell new gaskets for the kit to mount the oil cooler to the housing, and they’re back ordered all the time.
Well that doesn't sound encouraging. One in three fails and fails within a week. They both have had issues with being on backorder. This one might just get a mopar one after all.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The part that I suspect will not fit is the bottom of the housing to the block. Note that it does not list as fitting a 2016-2022 grand Cherokee, which has the upg 1 engine.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Well that doesn't sound encouraging. One in three fails and fails within a week. They both have had issues with being on backorder. This one might just get a mopar one after all.
I hate the design of the seals between the oil cooler and the housing. That’s what failed on our van, the seal rolled the wrong way. The housing has a recessed figure 8 shape for the gasket to set into, and the cooler is completely flat.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
There was a dorman ad on my homepage tonight. In the pile of parts I could see the filter housing so I clicked the link.
Looks like they offer a complete assembly... well maybe, its a dead link.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has the 3.6 oil filter housing been fixed? Oil Ada