Sponsored

Has one person ever damaged their hard top drip rails

furrandchalk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

I also talked to the guy who made the Exposed rack system. The website was confusing at the time, so I just called him. He said he’s tested the JL roof gutters extensively, and that a new model’s coming out with explicit RTT support. He said it’s called the Overland model, and will more evenly distribute the weight. But he also said several customers have run RTTs with no problems, so the newer model may be unnecessary. The only option for a soft top that I’m aware of is the Gobi, though.

https://www.smsparts.com/racks
Sponsored

codylancaster

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Based on how several, including myself, have supported the top while off using straps that technically are loaded on the rails. They should be able to handle some weight without worry.

The top weight is about 150 pounds. Four contact points spread this weight out to about 35-40lbs on a 1-2in area. The front is typically touching the rails and the back is supported either under the back or side window region. Basically it can support 30-50 without any signs of damage, in a static load.

Mopar also makes a removable roof rack that is mounted in that region. Most are referencing a weight limit of 150 lbs there too, which is equal to its own weight being suspended by those points (most racks are 4 to 6 point connections)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The roof tent thing is becoming pretty popular. I don't do much camping these days, but it would seem pretty inconvenient and maybe a bit risky to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak after a few beers.

I think these things originated in Australia where there are a lot more deadly snakes than North America. That may be more of a practical reason down under.

dspeir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Might bite the bullet and buy the Mopar rail kit to haul two Kayaks this summer. I've been searching for any horror stories I can find, and have came up empty. Either no one is risking it, or its not happening as easy as everyone says
Sponsored