Has Jeep Production Completely Stopped?

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
My dealer has told me that production at the factory has completely stopped and jeep is providing them with no updates other than that.

Anyone hearing something similar?
Sponsored

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Factory was closed for retooling but has since opened up to my knowledge.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
They were shutdown last week for scheduled maintenance at the plant. As far as everyone knows, those of us waiting on builds... they are back up and running this week.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I ordered 6/18. Still in D as well.

I Jeep chatted this morning and tried 3 different ways to get answers on my build holdup. She was nice enough but I still didn't get any useful info. She said she felt my order was on track normally.

So then I asked, so what *is* a normal time to build wait? She evaded that question, vaguely mentioning days to weeks. I said "Yes, I see that on the build timing spreadsheet I have access to (Thanks PocketsEmptied). Some orders are built in just a few weeks, while others rot for months.

I went on to tell her: That is why the company needs to give you reps access to more granular information so you could tell us, the paying customers, it's that pesky Block Heater, GG or that damn HellYella you want that is holding up your build. Then we could say keep your heater and build my Jeep. :)

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Stellantis announced they were going to have delays/temp shutdowns, but they seemed to imply that it was a week or two of downtime.

In terms of things getting better, I am in the chip industry. Don’t hold your breath on things getting better in 2021. When Apple, one of the world’s largest buyers of chips, announces they will see a decline in profit due to this issue, it is bad. Think more like 12-16 months to fix this.

nashvillenobody

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Gecko
Occupation
Logistics Manager
Ordered mine 7/24. Dealer just called this morning with my Vin#.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
We went from I to JB last night, so there is at least some movement at the plant.

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
Now I know why I waiting to order and new 2022, I hope by them things will be back to somewhat normal. I hope by the first part of 2022 dealers will have some stock, ordering will be normal, and I can get my new Jeep on a regular schedule time. I will say when I ordered my 2017 Jeep Willys I got it in 22 day of ordering it, the dealer said that was pretty close to normal as he said 28 days to get it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Stellantis announced they were going to have delays/temp shutdowns, but they seemed to imply that it was a week or two of downtime.

In terms of things getting better, I am in the chip industry. Don’t hold your breath on things getting better in 2021. When Apple, one of the world’s largest buyers of chips, announces they will see a decline in profit due to this issue, it is bad. Think more like 12-16 months to fix this.
Stellantis is focusing on keeping the Wrangler line running. They closed some other plants to keep Toledo open so Wrangler production is not interrupted. As much as possible anyway.

They announced a week or two of routine shut down to retool. A Jeep rep at the Chicago Auto Show announced they are starting production of the Xtreme Recon package in Aug so maybe that has something to do with it? Or even possibly 2022 changes?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...dering-production-start-dates-released.76458/

A friend of a friend owns a design/manufacturing company that makes many electrical components for the car world. He mentioned obtaining chips/microprocessors and believe it or not Nylon has been a tremendous problem. He confirms the problem will last for awhile, undoubtedly into next year.

Apple seems to be getting priority.

https://www.gizchina.com/2021/06/23/tsmc-will-deliver-automotive-chips-earlier-than-scheduled/

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hazelwood7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JL Rubicon V6
Your dealer is giving you wrong info. They are cranking out Jeep's as fast as they can make them. A couple of weeks ago they closed the plant for the week. People need to take vacation. I dislike how much salespeople get things wrong.

Hazelwood7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JL Rubicon V6
"Production of Jeep's flagship Wrangler SUV, which is built at Toledo North Assembly Plant, will continue."

They make big profits on the wrangler. They will idle everything else before they touch the wrangler.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
"Production of Jeep's flagship Wrangler SUV, which is built at Toledo North Assembly Plant, will continue."

They make big profits on the wrangler. They will idle everything else before they touch the wrangler.
Someone I know at the factory told me this months ago. He said they halted production for some other models to keep Wranglers running in Toledo. Now it's the Gladiator's turn to shut down so the Wrangler can still be produced.

Last edited:

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Stellantis is focusing on keeping the Wrangler line running. They closed some other plants to keep Toledo open so Wrangler production is not interrupted. As much as possible anyway.

They announced a week or two of routine shut down to retool. A Jeep rep at the Chicago Auto Show announced they are starting production of the Xtreme Recon package in Aug so maybe that has something to do with it? Or even possibly 2022 changes?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...dering-production-start-dates-released.76458/

A friend of a friend owns a design/manufacturing company that makes many electrical components for the car world. He mentioned obtaining chips/microprocessors and believe it or not Nylon has been a tremendous problem. He confirms the problem will last for awhile, undoubtedly into next year.

Apple seems to be getting priority.

https://www.gizchina.com/2021/06/23/tsmc-will-deliver-automotive-chips-earlier-than-scheduled/
One of the reasons for Apple’s stock price dropping after a strong quarter was their warning of the availability of chips. Indeed, they do get priority, but it goes to show you how extensive the issue is.

We sell board components to customers of all sizes. From what we have heard, there are many delays in all areas, but it seems especially bad in some components that are older technology. Simply, there is no money in building a new plant for an older technology product, so when there was the combination of production shutdowns and a spike in demand, the owners of the companies started delaying orders. Technology is basically like fish … the big fish eats the little fish and so forth. When a small component gets delayed, it delays the bigger component, which delays a part, which delays a car …

Makes sense that Stellantis would give a high margin product like the Wranger priority, but even Ford has delayed the F-150 … I would add a few weeks/months, if you are waiting for a new Wrangler from the factory.
Sponsored